Starting a Museum

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've been inquiring with the local historical society (which I'm a member) and our mayor for years about starting a local museum. We finally were given the green light. The town has given us a location and due to a large willed donation we have a decent amount of money but we do need additional funds so the fund raising has begun. So far we have reached out to local business, attended local street fairs, handed out brochures and run 50/50 raffles. I donated a Civil War lithograph to be raffled off at a Civil War show we have in town each year and I got the NJ Devils donate a signed hockey stick and picture from Martin Brodeur for a future raffle.

Does anyone have any proven fund raising methods they would like to share? If you have worked on setting up a museum in yourr home town I would love to hear about any pitfalls to watch out for or any sort of suggestions that would make this a success.

One project for the team is to get a website developed for the future museum. I feel this will help drive interest by local residents if they can view the progress we are making and see the museum plans online. I want to even create a virtual museum where people can view items that will be in the future site. My challenge here is that the historical society still snail mails everything since a bunch of members don't have emails. Try to convince a group like that for the need of a website...lol.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.
NJ

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good grief man, nearly every town in NJ has several museums in them.. Just visit one and ask them, I think they would be best suited to answer your questions.

My method for raising the funds is though shakedowns and I don't think you want to go that route :laughing7:

But this is one sure fire way to generate some money legally. Set up several hand wash car points and contact schools to use their parking lots. You need people to wash the cars for you :dontknow: No problemo :laughing7: Contact any of the several Boy Scout troops in your area, speak to the Scout Master and tell him you need several hands. This should be no problem as the scouts could use this experience to help earn their Required Community Service Merit Badge :headbang:

I'm sure they may also have some ideas of their own for you.

Just don't make me get involved, it could get ugly :laughing9:

Good luck :icon_thumleft:

lorddean13

Jun 13, 2012
Warminster PA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
N.J. that is a great plan congrats on getting permission. I use to be in a fraternity in college and when we needed money for things we would run a concession stand at local fields during games. We carried just the basics sodas, hot dogs, chips, and of course bottled water and ice cream in the summer, stuff you can get at Sam's Club or Costco cheap. We would do really well. During the Summer festivals we would run a booth at the local community days and use the trailer to sell funnel cakes, zeppolies, or corn dogs. Just some fund raising ideas. Since it is for a museum people will be o.k. if they pay a slightly higher price.

OP
OP
N.J.THer

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks guys...I may skip the actual shakedowns but I like the other suggestions. I have reached out to other museum groups but there is no other group like the members of T-Net so I figured I might gets some unique but good suggestions. Thanks again
NJ

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
N.J.THer said:
Thanks guys...I may skip the actual shakedowns but I like the other suggestions. I have reached out to other museum groups but there is no other group like the members of T-Net so I figured I might gets some unique but good suggestions. Thanks again
NJ

I don't know this is jersey were talking about here. Shakedowns are the norm.

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ticm, I agree.. Sometimes I think NJ Th'er is not from this fine state :laughing9:

OP
OP
N.J.THer

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
ticm, I agree.. Sometimes I think NJ Th'er is not from this fine state :laughing9:

LOL...born and raised. Except for three months I lived in Minnesota in my twenties I've always lived here. Even when I was in MN I flew back to NJ every other weekend. As a kid I working at a few businesses that were fronts. They paid well, it was always in cash and they did not check to see if you had working papers which you needed while you were still in high school. I absolutely love NJ. :occasion14:

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bah... NJ only followed what NYC was doing for centuries. :tongue3: What are these working papers you speak of :tongue3: :laughing7:

Cash ruled :headbang:

It still looks like you will have a way to go, so I would check some of the smaller museums and learn of any pitfalls

P.S. Let me know when it opens, I'd love to visit it t least twice. I like going after hours when then are less crowded too :laughing7:

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
spartacus53 said:
Bah... NJ only followed what NYC was doing for centuries. :tongue3: What are these working papers you speak of :tongue3: :laughing7:

It still looks like you will have a way to go, so I would check some of the smaller museums and learn of any pitfalls

P.S. Let me know when it opens, I'd love to visit it t least twice. I like going after hours when then are less crowded too :laughing7:

Looks like you will have to consider some good security system.

OP
OP
N.J.THer

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks like you will have to consider some good security system.

Our police have had pictures of spartacus53 for years. He has been banned from our town since an incident in the late 90s. It involved women's clothing and some sort of confidence scam with midgets/small people (not sure what is PC now a days).

NJ

OP
OP
N.J.THer

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Thanks...I'll let you know about openning night and we will keep an eye out for you. I do know the curators for a few state and local museums which I reached out to. My mother-in-law runs a maritime museum in the next town over so I've picked her brain. I was just looking for some unique ideas that you don't see everyday. There are tons of organizations out there looking to raise funds so I wanted to be different.

NJ

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
N.J.THer said:
Our police have had pictures of spartacus53 for years. He has been banned from our town since an incident in the late 90s. It involved women's clothing and some sort of confidence scam with midgets/small people (not sure what is PC now a days).

NJ

Thanks for the heads up. I am friends with the local chief. I will advice him

DigImust

Jan 30, 2012
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If all else fails, you might consider approaching Tony Soprano for a 'loan'. The vig might be a tad extreme however.

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didn't even know NJ had a maritime museum :laughing7: The only one I knew of was a small one in NYC I visited decades ago, and I was in the maritime industry for decades too :tongue3: Even took maritime law, and modern shipping courses from Fort Schuyler in the Bronx... P.S. They have a museum too :laughing7:

Not much left to see though, what a shame :laughing9:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread