STARTING ON A STRING HERE! WHAT KIND OF DIGGING TOOL TO USE?

kneedpnholes

Sep 17, 2005
Eastman, Ga.

randall61

Bronze Member
Feb 10, 2004
Guntersville,Alabama
Detector(s) used
fisher 1236x2,viper trident
im in ga also ,depends where im diggin,if its grass....sod i use my army knife,but if woods job sites ect. i use a heavey duty 3 spike hoe with the handle cut off short.i will dig a little above the target,to avoid damaging.the back side of the hoe ie good for cutting roots,hope this helps

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
i use a lesche predator and i love it. it was a little on the pricey side, about $30, but well worth it.

ceejay64

Apr 16, 2006
New Hampshire, USA
Detector(s) used
BH Pioneer 505
I went to an off-price outlet kind of store and bought a "diving knife" for $6. Edged on one side, sawtoothed on the other, with a 6" blade. Don't know if I'd trust it as a diving knife, but its GREAT at digging plugs, breaking through roots, etc.!! And if I break it, no loss; I'll just go get another one.
I also carry a fiberglass/plastic trowel and a Vibraprobe 560. LOVE the Vibraprobe!!
For the big or deep signals, I have a deep, thin shovel that I got at Home Depot for about $24. I don't usually carry that into the public places as it tends to worry people. ::) ;D That's for the private residences for the most part.

Clifford Powell

Nov 13, 2005
New Mexico
I bought this last winter and have been VERY pleased with it. The ground here in NM can be very hard - caliche clay. I also have one of their hand tools but I use this most of the time. With a little practice you can open a small 2x2 hole no problem.

Attachments

• Lesche Little Eagle.jpg
    Lesche Little Eagle.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 1,837

knapper

Jun 25, 2006
atlanta ga
Detector(s) used
IDX CLASSIC , SURFMASTER PI
atlanta here and i use a post hole digger doses the job in a hurry ::)

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
It all depends on the area I'm hunting.

Attachments

• knives.JPG
    knives.JPG
    83.1 KB · Views: 1,489
  • germshovel 2 Resized.JPG
    germshovel 2 Resized.JPG
    60.5 KB · Views: 1,470
  • shovel 2.JPG
    shovel 2.JPG
    14.1 KB · Views: 1,465
  • diggers Resized.JPG
    diggers Resized.JPG
    57.5 KB · Views: 1,482

buscadero

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Corpus Christi, Tx.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
RTD3

You must have to put packs on the dogs to carry all that around. Just Jesting!

Be Prepared as they used to say.

Nice lookin' dogs too!

BigMESA

Sep 21, 2006
Summerville, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1236x2
836C440T.jpg

Cost me $6 at Sears and it folds up nicely into a handy travel pouch. Is very sturdy, has a shove and a pick, and a saw edge on the shovel for cutting a nice large plug in the ground.

J

jazzback

I use a 1" Sears Craftsmen Gasket Scraper. I charged it with a speaker Magnet to make iron and other "Junk Metal" to stick to it so I don't waste time on magnetic metals. Things like roofing nails etc go right to the tool.

Attachments

• 00943292000.jpg
    00943292000.jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 1,335

Davisdog

Jul 18, 2006
Spanaway, WA
Detector(s) used
Discovery 3300
See the blue D-handle shovel above in rtde3's post? I got one very similar to that at Big Lots for $4.95.

I also use a pointed mortar trowel, a large folding knife, and a probe that I made from an aluminum gutter nail and a wood handle from a drywall saw.

shadow0966

Sep 20, 2006
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX300,Tesoro Tejon
I just bought the new jackson 7 in 1 and this this thing is STRONG and heavy but it is sold at canadian tire only I think . For under $30cdn you can't go wrong.Very sharp looking & very strong being made of stainless steel ,not aluminum or fiberglass. JACKSON 7 IN 1 DIGGER.jpg

Attachments

• JACKSON 7 IN 1 DIGGER.jpg
    JACKSON 7 IN 1 DIGGER.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 1,013

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
21" WilCox

Attachments

• zzPhoto001.jpg
    zzPhoto001.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 1,023

jocap

Mar 8, 2007
NV
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
here's a couple to consider.

The Fiskars Garden Knife can be found at Target and Wal-Mart for under $10 in the gardening section. Others have said that it works very well but the handle over time can break and it's only coated steel ( not stainless ) and can develope a lil rust.
165111_7079_480.jpg
http://tinyurl.com/23l5ne

here is another I came across and was considering it's the Camper's Lil Helper seem like a very good product and it's stainless steel.
11.171.jpg
http://tinyurl.com/2hf2n9

I think the Jackson mentioned above by shadow is a dandy as well.

HH

Functional

Feb 16, 2007
Okanagan Valley, British Columbia, Canada
Detector(s) used
A Compass Magnum 420 recently brought back to life. And an untested "in the wild" Teknetics.
There are "vastly" differing opinions on what a "string" is. I have my own "string theory", based on my "string" resembling a thread.

kneedpnholes said:
I use an old knife I made to dig with and the ground here in GA is almost like concrete so I wait til it has rained to go out and detect.

Could bring along a watering can.

I don`t have the money to rent a bobcat

Seems like overkill, unless you mean the furry kind of bobcat.

and can`t buy a pinpointer

Could make one from a stud finder if your into electronics.

and don`t want to ruin any finds

You've been reading posts from the guys that use the hammer and chiesel techinque?

so what is a good technique to use for digging? ...............Clark!

The knife is ok, as long as it hasn't any sentimental value to you. You might want to check out a thrift type store for a cheap alternative, or buy one of the other inexpensive products mentioned here.

I use a modified butchers knife when prospecting, (I haven't been "nugget hunting" with a MD because my MD's are too old). I also use a garden trowel that I found at a thrift store $1, and a spade that I'm planning on rounding the blade on, (about 180 degree's), so I can cut near completely circlular holes.

Our soil isn't to bad for digging, mostly sandy clay. But I'm considering prospecting in other area's and I do plan to buy a better MD for nugget hunting, so I was thinking about adding a "platform" to the back of my shovel, so that when I dig in, I can use the platform as a foot to pivot against. I think the wooden handle would encounter less physical stress, as less force would be needed to be applied using this "fulcrum" technique. I'll have to talk to the guy that does the welding around town here and see what I can work out, when we both have some free time.

Just a thought.

F.

MEinWV

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2007
West "by god" Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fishers CZ5 and 1280X
I use a small, round pointed garden shovel, with the 5" wide blade and 3' handle in the woods.

On most lawns I use 2; A Gator digger and a Ginsu styled steak knife. The Ginsu stays sharp for a long time and zips through roots like butter. If it is a real nice lawn, I try too use the Ginsu only, because it makes a very thin slice in the sod.

txkickergirl

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Fiskars Garden Knife can be found at Target and Wal-Mart for under $10 in the gardening section. Others have said that it works very well but the handle over time can break and it's only coated steel ( not stainless ) and can develope a lil rust.

I have this tool and let me tell ya, I love it so far! I have broken 3 other diggers in a very short time. So far this one is holding up, especially for the price.

I'm still holding out for one of those special Mighty AP digging tools!

Springfield

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2003
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
BS
IMO, best equipment to make small-footprint, shallow to waist-deep holes in hard ground: 1) 12" heavy-duty flat tipped screwdriver; 2) 30" steel crowbar; 3) short handled shovel.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread