Starting out whats best for a starter with Metal Detecting?

CopperHoarder

Dec 23, 2012
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Don't use one yet.
Primary Interest:
Other
Upvote 0

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Terry Solomon has an excellent video discussing entry level detectors. White's Coinmaster, Garrett Ace Series, Fisher F2, Tesoro Cibola are probably the most common entry level machines.

I owned an ACE 250 and absolutely hated it. Just to schizophrenic for me. Plus I really did not like the various tones. Yes, there are lots of 250 fans, but that's by no means universal.

I've never used a Fisher machine, but it has a good reputation.

I do have a Coinmaster. Not as indecisive on metals that don't fit the 8 notches perfectly. The cursors sits on iron when nothing is going on. Good depth and for coin-sized objects the depth meter is reasonably accurate. The arm cup is not as sturdy as I'd like, but if you are not pushing dirt/woodchips around with the coil this should not be an issue.

The Tesoro Cibola is drop dead simple to use...only one control. But don't confuse this with a kid's machine. It's a first rate performer and the least expensive. The fact that it does not have a display is not a disadvantage. You need to learn to what a detector's sounds are telling you anyway...nothing better for doing that then not having a display. Tesoro has a lifetime warranty that is second to none.

If you are looking at the used market...well your options for your budget go up to dozens and dozens of machines.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread