Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Folks,
I would appreciate your thoughts/comments, suggestions, stories, finds, settings and such concerning the following. I am about to bring my XLT out of moth-balls after many years of not using it, my life changed so I stopped. I'm living in an older part of town so there are good possibilities and then I might just have some additional time off from work so some swinging during the day time could be possible as long as I can do everything with one hand/arm, shoulder surgery-rotary cuff.

The machine is an XLT Spectrum purchased new about 1996. Below is a picture showing the machine and the following items:

Top Row: XLT,, 950 Coil, 600 Deep Scan Coil

Middle Row: Snooper 350 Coil, TDK 700 Wireless Earphones, 4 x 6 DD Shooter Coil

Bottom Row: Old School Brass Probe, Bullseye II Pin Pointer, Lesche

198_9830.JPG

I look forward to your inputs and possibly some questions as I'm looking to share as well.

Thank you in advance...........63bkpkr

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
63bkpkr long time no talk
that's a 6.59 operator
that should hammer silver.

OP
OP
63bkpkr

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi LL, yup certainly is and she's a rarin to Go! Recently I was awarded a $100 accessory gift certificate from Whites. They used a couple of my pictures for the 2013 calendar and in return they gave me the certificate. I used it to purchase the 4 x 6 DD Snooper coil, the lower shaft and a couple of nut/bolt kits. I paid for the remainder of the coil and the hardware but darned if I didn't forget to buy a coil cover. I will get that soon! I'm looking forward to coinshooting again!

I bet you are nice and white up there by the lake and the ground should be frozen rock solid. Today I've been enjoying nice sunshine with just a light breeze though the air does have a bit of a chill to it.

With the shoulder injury and upcoming surgery for it I've shut down my backpacking plans for 2013 and I will miss the trips but safety is the wise choice as I KNOW where I want to go to and it is rough, rugged country and no place to be in with a partially functioning body! 2014 should work out just fine and if there IS any gold there then it will wait for me.

What do you do in the winter to pass the time? What other hobbies? I would have to find an indoor shooting range and plink away with a few things. One of my favorites is my 22 cal Beeman air rifle, lots of seconds including the 177 RWS air pistol and a few firearms. Of course if one could visit the Toledo Ohio area, assuming the fireworks stands are still there then shooting rockets off in the winter should be pretty safe unless it was really windy.

Write when you can.........63bkpkr

Landlord Jim

Jul 20, 2012
Oakland County, Michigan
Detector(s) used
V3i,Vx3,DFX,MXT Pro,Prizm 5G, CM Pro,Beach Hunter 300 and Bounty Hunter 202.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
With that coil and XLT hit those totlots. Yes it is cold as heck up here in MI the wind chill tonight may be -25!!!!

OP
OP
63bkpkr

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
-25 that makes several parts of me quake! But then I was born in and lived in and around Detroit so I know once a person gets used to it that they can take it. It is amazing that as a kid I never had frostbite, man we stayed outside a long time in the winter!! Hey but it is beautiful with the snow and cold! I still do not mind shoveling sidewalks.........63bkpkr

Tot Lots, I hardly think of those but I will do it just to see what all the talk about TT's is about.

Where I'm living there are a lot of curbside grass zones and I anticipate them to be worthwhile.

Last edited:

GrizLeeBear

Jan 18, 2013
Full Time In An RV
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 1500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You have a lot of equipment there. My suggestion is to go out and practice a little and relearn it. I would stick with a generic coil to start with and then work the others into your routine. I think the biggest mistake many people make is to just grab the equipment and go. Know your unit and know the soil. Good hunting.

OP
OP
63bkpkr

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Back to all who commented here. This is an "older" machine so I'm not surprised that not many folks chimed in about it's uses with the variety of coils I have for it. I guess I will just go and experiment to my hearts content and fortunately I'm in Norther California so I can metal detect all year long.

Again, thank you for your comments and I will be back with some finds later..................63bkpkr

Mortamus

Jun 9, 2012
Southern Callie
Detector(s) used
White's Spectra V3i
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good luck with that operation I had my left done it took a looong time to get it back together and it will never be the same good luck trying to hunt too bro

OP
OP
63bkpkr

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi There Mortamus,
I'm concerned about those things as well! I was disappointed I could not use my own surgeon but Workmans Comp is not very friendly those things! Afterall, that is how they make their money, being cheap. I hope to have the surgery complete by the end of this month...........63bkpkr

Twinkletoes

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2013
Detector(s) used
White’s TDI Beach Hunter PI / Minelab Excalibur 1000 / White's MX Sport / White’s XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
63bkpkr said:
Hi Back to all who commented here. This is an "older" machine so I'm not surprised that not many folks chimed in about it's uses with the variety of coils I have for it. I guess I will just go and experiment to my hearts content and fortunately I'm in Norther California so I can metal detect all year long.

Again, thank you for your comments and I will be back with some finds later..................63bkpkr

Older? What's older? You have one of the finest metal detectors ever made. I have one too! You have all the coils and everything you will ever need. If you have lost the manual go to the White's website where you can print one off. Older? Oh, you meant to say "better". You were trying to say "this is a better machine so I'm not surprised that not many folks chimed in ..." Now I would certainly agree with that. H Digs :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
63bkpkr

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi TT,
I think I bought it in 97 but it has way more hours left in it! And yes it is a great detector with lots of proven programs for it! I enjoyed your thoughts...........63bkpkr

TC-NM

Jun 8, 2008
Sunny AZ
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro & Spectra V3i / White's E Series 9000 & Sunray Pro Golds HP's / Garrett Pro Pinpointer AT/ White's digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great picture of your arsenal. Glad you're getting back into it! Stop by here and show us your finds now and then.

Good Luck,

TC-NM

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
did you ever get out with your detector yet
any good finds in your pouch

OP
OP
63bkpkr

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Lift Loop,
No I've not gotten out with it yet and that is almost a sin! I've been busy with work and trying to get ready for my shoulder operation, now looking like it will be in March I hope!! Also, I'm preparing for a job interview and just this evening received the flight itinerary this evening, looks like I'm going to China! I wonder what their laws are about metal detecting? Anyway I'm still hopeful that I will get out with it really soon and I will post my finds...............63bkpkr

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
good luck on your shoulder, mine is starting to clunk a lot, and good luck over china, let us know what there laws are. that would be cool
take care 63bkpkr may be you will come home with a high end Chinese detector dirt cheep......
p.s are you taking a gold pan with you...

OP
OP
63bkpkr

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The place I might work at is nowhere near clean mountain streams. I will not be allowed to drive a vehicle, probably a good thing. I will ask about Chinese laws concerning metal detecting and prospecting though I suspect they will be baffled by the question but who knows they may have detecting/prospecting clubs there. (and I mean groups of people not clubs for hitting people). High end Chinese detector - I must refrain from commenting on that..............63bkpkr

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread