Starting to get paranoid, I need some words of wisdom from you CRHers

Weaselbrott

Aug 12, 2012
Eastern Seaboard
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter- Quick Silver (I know, I am a novice, give me a break! :P)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys and gals. I just came back from my "lunch" which is really just becoming a coin roll hunting mission. What I do on these missions is go to one bank to dump, then go to another to get coin, then another to dump, etc.... I go to a total of 3 dump branches of my bank per day on an average day. In my dump bank branches, which are in a very big and busy city, there are armed police officers just standing around, usually just sitting with their hands in the pockets and just getting a paycheck. First off, this is my tax money spent to guard a private institution, which happens to be my dump bank... but I digress...

So in going to all three of these dump branches today, I noticed something that caught my eye. Each police officer was scribbling something on a note pad as I left each bank. I am normally not particularly paranoid about much, but I sincerely believe they were capturing my time in and out of the branch, and other descriptive info, and I believe that since all three were doing so, this is no coincidence. I am always quite courteous to the tellers, and to all bank employees, but I can't help but think they feel I am in some sort of violation, or perhaps are trying to investigate me for suspicious activity. Any ideas? Has anybody else had similar experiences? I know I am doing nothing wrong, nor have any intent to do anything outside of the law, but at the same time, I know that frequent dumping might not be the way to stay off a bank's radar. What do you guys think? Am I being investigated? Please give me any advise. Thanks, and as always, happy hunting!

Upvote 0

namster

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2011
Sulphur, NV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They are on to you, you don't have much time. The only way you can escape the alien thermal vision is to cover yourself in cold mud. Thats your only chance.

GEOFF

Aug 30, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yea, your in deep dirty buddy, better cover yourself with mud, its the only WAY!

sky355

Jul 24, 2012
Littleton Colorado
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Fisher F22
Vibra tector 740
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They may see you as casing out each bank for some staged robbery. Who knows. The best thing for you to do is just keep being friendly and get to know the bank folks your dealing with a bit. Then it wont be such an issue.

crhstreetwalker

Apr 27, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
The next time you see that happening, approach the officer and simply say you couldn't help notice that it seemed like you were taking my description down, and ask if you can help with anything. You're doing nothing wrong so there shouldn't be any problem.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would just up my meds by a half tablet, and call my therapist. But hey, that's just me..

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I go to a bank with guards, they are usually by the coin counter anyway. I say hi and smile and just dump.

They may be worried that there is a frequency. If you go often or they connect your frequent visits to different banks, they may think you're laundering money or dumping stolen coin. Just be obvious and courteous. Someone who avoids is someone who is suspicious. Or suspetise, as another forum I am on would want to say.

Mr. Silver Stash

Mar 3, 2012
The Constitution State
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Bounty Hunter Fast Tracker
Primary Interest:
Other
Just be super-friendly in general with everyone, and give the officer a "hey, how's it going on" on the way by with a smile a couple times. They will all get used to your presence. PS lay off the pipe, hippie

namster

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2011
Sulphur, NV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If was just regular uniform police I dont think they were actually looking at you they way you think. If the PTB suspected you were laundering money it would be the FBI and you would likely not notice them until they knocked on your door. At any rate, this is (for the moment anyway) still AMERICA. CRHing is not illegal.

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My favorite bank has a beefcake officer that just sits in a chair and reads or talks on his cell phone.

I'M GOING TO TASE YOU...but first I want to know what happens to Harry Potter!

sheepdog_tx

Aug 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I sincerely believe they were capturing my time in and out of the branch, and other descriptive info, and I believe that since all three were doing so, this is no coincidence.

No its not a coincidence. Theyre recording your description and what youre carrying in because its not uncommon for thieves to drag off and break into <soda, snack, newspaper, gumball, etc> machines and dump large lots of identical coin at one time. This is "situation awareness" 101 for rentacops. After a month or so they will probably pay you no mind but wouldnt hurt to go say hi, let them know you've got nothing to hide.

OP
OP
Weaselbrott

Weaselbrott

Aug 12, 2012
Eastern Seaboard
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter- Quick Silver (I know, I am a novice, give me a break! :P)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No its not a coincidence. Theyre recording your description and what youre carrying in because its not uncommon for thieves to drag off and break into <soda, snack, newspaper, gumball, etc> machines and dump large lots of identical coin at one time. This is "situation awareness" 101 for rentacops. After a month or so they will probably pay you no mind but wouldnt hurt to go say hi, let them know you've got nothing to hide.

This is great insight, thank you very much! I feel a lot better. Good karma for you! Much silver to you, my new friend!

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are only a couple of officers around here that rotate at different bank locations in the area. They always smirk when I walk in because they've probably already seen me 3-4 times that week at different banks around time. I made friends with the guys, one of 'em metal detects, and both are cool as all hell.

yuriyg

Sep 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First off, this is my tax money spent to guard a private institution, which happens to be my dump bank... but I digress...
There's actually an official NYPD program, where a private entity can pay police officer's overtime to provide a police presence at their venue. From what I understand, it's optional for the cops and they do it do earn some extra cash. No tax dollars are being spent, at least directly.

generic username

Jul 7, 2008
Mid Michigan
Detector(s) used
ctx3030, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
my dad used to run his own Ice Cream truck through the poor neighborhoods in Arizonia in the late 70's early 80's, all the kids primarily paying with coins and my dad remembers the police being called on him while dumping buckets of coins because around the years he was down there in arizonia someone was going around and breaking into vending machines stealing coins.

theyre just likely noting suspicious activity like others said. not many people show up multiple times dumping quantity's of coinage, I wouldnt worry about it.. your not doing nothing wrong.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
My banks are many, in a medium-sized city. None of these banks have any kind of security guards, even the ones that have been robbed several times recently. Quite odd.

Gareb

Sep 10, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is no big deal. We got guards at most of the banks here. Most of them are busy on the phone a few have opened doors for me when I am dumping as I have a large canvas bank bag full of change. On one occasion I had one of them question me as he had saw me the day before at a different bank same branch. I told him honestly I collect coins and these are my discards. He kinda snubbed me and said he collects state national park territory quarters but he just goes in a buys a few rolls and that's it. I told him to each their own, the coins I am looking for are errors and they occur less likely and are harder to find. He just blew me off and now I just ignore him when I see him now.

As far as money laundering the FBI wont come knocking first.
Last year I was dumping at 2 different days at 2 same branch small banks. It was basically 1k bag on wed at one branch another 1k bag at a different branch on friday. They only have 1 other branch period. After about a month of this, the brinks guy spoke with the bank prez. After I dropped off a bag I was asked to speak with the bank manager privately in her office. She said my account had been flagged for potential money laundering. I kinda felt like I was being sent to the principal's office. I told her exactly what I was doing. It is the same 1k each time, I just buy coins from a different bank and return here. I said it is a hobby of mine and if you can't complete this transaction then I will be glad to close my 5 year account and remove 15k from this bank in cash and move my business elsewhere. She backed off immediantly and laughed and just said no that's ok we just need a paper trail. You can still do it just must fill out a deposit and withdrawl slip each time to show it on paper. Now I still dump there on occasion but only when I go over my normal amount. They are just my overload bank.
No black lincolns or suburbans have since showed at my door in the middle of the night.
Basically all of this stems from 9-11 and the patriot act, it is just a precaution the bank's must follow. I asked if I was going to launder money do you seriously think I would do it using 50 pound bags of half dollars on a regular basis like clockwork. I would think criminals would be a little smarter than that.
She got a good laugh about that and agreed.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread