✅ SOLVED State Militia/National Guard Buttons

Old Pueblo

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2017
Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello,found these online a few weeks ago for a couple bucks each, so I figured they were worth it, if they are real. From what I read, these are late 19th century to early 1900s (WW1 era) buttons from California and New Mexico State Militia/National Guard uniforms. Both say "Superior Quality" on the back and have a few little scuffs and scratches. What I want to know is if these are the real deal, 100 some years old, or if they are modern repos or something. Thank you
DSC02634.jpg DSC02637.jpg

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Those buttons have the present-day version of "Superior Quality" backmark. They aren't old at all. Also, they are not "reproductions," because they are not a copy of something older. They are the "most recent" version of CA and NM State Seal buttons, according to the book on American Uniform Buttons by Alphaeus H. Albert. Also, Albert lists them as being not National Guard or State Militia buttons. Various civilian state officials wear them today, such as State Police and other civilian officials.

About your thinking they might be National Guard or State Militia buttons... I should mention... the Albert book shows a California National Guard button, which has the state seal with the initials NGC above the seal. Also shown in that book is a New Mexico State Guard button, which shows the initials NMSG encircling the state seal.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Old Pueblo

Old Pueblo

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2017
Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting, thank you. I thought theyd be worth it for a couple bucks, but they look a bit too shiny to be that old. Thanks

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread