State of California has petitioned the Supreme court in Rinehart decision

Hefty1

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2010
[h=1]The General Mining Act of 1872[/h] [h=5]Commonly known as: The 1872 Mining Law – Full Text[/h]
An Act to promote the Development of the mining Resources of The United States.

California is doing just the opposite and will lose this battle...look up the legal definitions of the underlined words...they say a lot, and this is the first line of the Mining Act.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There has already been a refusal by the Supreme Court to hear this issue, last year I believe. The 94 regs as promulgated and upheld for over 15 years is the only viable answer to regain sanity. Gotta hand it to BR as one LL of a fight and nothing but respect. Only bummer is between all these cases over a MILLION in lawyer bills/legal costs as they always win and this stall/bait/switch has made'm rich beyond all reason....sic sic sic. Thank you much Pacific Legal Foundation as usual doing a FINE job. If only they were brought in years ago this would have been settled years ago-season 6 down the toilet-John

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
We should get the New 49ers to schedule a dredge in at the Klamath, to protest the illegal actions of the state, and donate all gold recovered to the legal fight.... JMHO

Would be proud to be a part of it. There is more then one effective statement that could be made by holding a dredge-in. The first, as stated is obvious, the second would be equally as important in the long run. It would also serve to bring back to the publics eye what miners can do and have done for free at no cost to the tax payers that other inexperienced clueless government sponsored enviro idjits are now scamming the people millions for- Mercury remediation. A very public Dredge-in in the right place, with a pre set up waste stream collection service, and a pre dredge workshop on awareness training about safe handling practices of hazardous materials- then go get some gold and mercury and expose their plan for what it is- one big azz scam on the tax payers back! If done at one of the historically known Mercury producing locstions up there with existing claim holders permission and blessing we would more then likely with enough dredges collect more mercury in a weekend then their entire program has planned for years!

Last edited:

57chevy

Oct 4, 2014
The West
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000 D Looking to find enough to replace it.
Replaced it with a Garrett 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A bill of attainder (also known as an act of attainder or writ of attainder or bill of pains and penalties) is an act of a legislature declaring a person or group of persons guilty of some crime and punishing them without privilege of a judicial trial. As with attainder resulting from the normal judicial process, the effect of such a bill is to nullify the targeted person's civil rights, most notably the right to own property (and thus pass it on to heirs), the right to a title of nobility, and, in at least the original usage, the right to life itself. Bills of attainder were used in England between about 1300 and 1800 and resulted in the executions of a number of notable historical figures. However, the use of these bills eventually fell into disfavour due to the obvious potential for abuse and the violation of several legal principles, most importantly separation of powers, the right to due process, and the precept that a law should address a particular form of behaviour rather than a specific individual or group. For these reasons, bills of attainder are expressly banned by the United States Constitution as well as the constitutions of all 50 US states.
I see someone else might have a copy of Black's Law Dictionary. The only thing I might add is that such Bills of Attainder are prohibited in Article I, section 9 of the Constitution of 1789. It also prohibited Ex Post Facto laws. This last one has been violated at least once that I can think of.

Hefty1

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2010
Would be proud to be a part of it. There is more then one effective statement that could be made by holding a dredge-in. The first, as stated is obvious, the second would be equally as important in the long run. It would also serve to bring back to the publics eye what miners can do and have done for free at no cost to the tax payers that other inexperienced clueless government sponsored enviro idjits are now scamming the people millions for- Mercury remediation. A very public Dredge-in in the right place, with a pre set up waste stream collection service, and a pre dredge workshop on awareness training about safe handling practices of hazardous materials- then go get some gold and mercury and expose their plan for what it is- one big azz scam on the tax payers back! If done at one of the historically known Mercury producing locstions up there with existing claim holders permission and blessing we would more then likely with enough dredges collect more mercury in a weekend then their entire program has planned for years!

Upstream from here....

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/d...y-removal-project-crosses-another-hurdle.html

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I've seen the Rosemont sales brochure chlsbrns. Could you please point out the amendments themselves rather than presenting advertising materials?

The laws are public and any Act of Congress amending previous acts will clearly state that the previous law is being amended. Should be pretty easy to point us to the actual amendments themselves.

Thanks for your opinion. Please present facts to support your theories.

chlsbrns

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2013
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
I've seen the Rosemont sales brochure chlsbrns. Could you please point out the amendments themselves rather than presenting advertising materials?

The laws are public and any Act of Congress amending previous acts will clearly state that the previous law is being amended. Should be pretty easy to point us to the actual amendments themselves.

Thanks for your opinion. Please present facts to support your theories.

OLRC Home

From the 1872 mining act:

SEC. 3. That the locators of all mining locations heretofore made, or which shall hereafter be made, on any mineral veln, lode, or ledge, situated on the public domain, their heirs and assigns, where no adverse claim exists at the passage of this act, so long as they comply with the laws of the United States, and with State, territorial, and local regulations not in conflict with said laws of the United States governing their possessory title..

The 1872 mining act requires compliance with the Federal CWA and all other State and local regulations.

Possessory is a right to possess. It is not a right to mine in violation of laws and regulations.

The first enviromental law in the USA was the banning of.hydraulic mining. Did the 1872 mining act stop the passage of the law?

The pdf link below shows many but not all of the amendments

https://www.wilderness.net/NWPS/documents/publiclaws/PDF/30_USC_22-47.pdf

Last edited:

jvan

Sep 30, 2014
Placerville, CA
Detector(s) used
Gold Hog Raptor Highbanker, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Fisher F70, Bazooka 36" Sniper, Gold Cube, Gold Vac Pac, Pans & Pans
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Does this mean we might see the day that dredging is allowed on fed claims in ca?

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
A miner's duty to know the law governing mining

I think you all are voicing your opinions on the original mining act. The act has been amended numerous times and is not what it use to be.

You've consistently made bold statements here about miners rights being restricted. At no time have you been willing to back up those statements. I really do wonder sometimes why you even bother posting into the TNet gold forums chlsbrns. A more cynical man might suspect you are anti mining. I will go on the assumption, for now, that you are just misinformed and uneducated in mining law. I'll try to help you get over that disability but you are going to have to show more initiative than just pointing to US Code.

Lets begin with the biggest misunderstanding in your list - the 1955 Multiple Use Act. Many government agencies have claimed this Act amended the mining laws. Now you are joining them in that opinion. There has been some misunderstanding on this Act but under our system of government we have a separate branch of government that has the duty to clear up these misunderstandings - the judicial branch. The top level of the judicial branch is the Supreme Court of the United States. Lucky for us the Supreme Court went to great lengths to investigate this Act of Congress. They made a final ruling as to whether the 1855 Multiple Use Act changed the mining laws in Converse v Utah 1968.
Congress did not intend to change the basic principles of the mining laws when it enacted the Multiple Use Act. Converse v. Udall, 399 F.2d 616, 617 (9th Cir. 1968), Cert. denied, 393 U.S. 1025, 89 S.Ct. 635, 21 L.Ed.2d 569 (1969).

This is from U.S. V. Curtis_Nevada Mines 1980.
This concept of multiple use of surface resources of a mining claim was not intended, however, to interfere with the historical relationship between the possessor of a mining claim and the United States.

This language, carefully developed, emphasizes the committee's insistence that this legislation not have the effect of modifying long-standing essential rights springing from location of a mining claim.

You see chlsbrns previous Acts of Congress (Federal laws) are never repealed by implication. Congress must explicitly amend a previous law. The mining acts have been amended from time to time. Here is an example of the language Congress uses to amend or repeal an existing law. This is from the 1870 Placer Act - notice the language and how they are very clear that this is an amendment to a previous specific named law:
Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled,
That the act granting the right of way to ditch and canal owners over the public lands and for other purposes, approved July twenty-six, eighteen hundred and sixty-six, be, and the same is hereby, amended by adding thereto the following additional sections, numbered twelve, thirteen, fourteen, fifteen, sixteen, and seventeen respectively. which shall hereafter constitute and form a part of the aforesaid act.

And here is a repeal of a mining law from Section 9 of the 1872 Mining Act:
SEC. 9. That sections one, two, three, four, and six of an act entitled "An act granting the right of way to ditch and canal owners over the public lands, and for other purposes," approved July twenty-sixth, eighteen-hundred and sixty-six, are hereby repealed, but such repeal shall not affect existing rights.

Now your job, should you wish to prove your point, will be to find those phrases in bold (or words to that effect) in any of the Congressional Acts you believe might have amended or repealed the existing Mining Acts. When you have discovered specific amendments or repeals to the Mining Acts I hope you will share your new found knowledge with us.

Now you have been educated and informed. :thumbsup:

Heavy Pans

chlsbrns

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2013
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
You've consistently made bold statements here about miners rights being restricted. At no time have you been willing to back up those statements. I really do wonder sometimes why you even bother posting into the TNet gold forums chlsbrns. A more cynical man might suspect you are anti mining. I will go on the assumption, for now, that you are just misinformed and uneducated in mining law. I'll try to help you get over that disability but you are going to have to show more initiative than just pointing to US Code.

Lets begin with the biggest misunderstanding in your list - the 1955 Multiple Use Act. Many government agencies have claimed this Act amended the mining laws. Now you are joining them in that opinion. There has been some misunderstanding on this Act but under our system of government we have a separate branch of government that has the duty to clear up these misunderstandings - the judicial branch. The top level of the judicial branch is the Supreme Court of the United States. Lucky for us the Supreme Court went to great lengths to investigate this Act of Congress. They made a final ruling as to whether the 1855 Multiple Use Act changed the mining laws in Converse v Utah 1968.

This is from U.S. V. Curtis_Nevada Mines 1980.

You see chlsbrns previous Acts of Congress (Federal laws) are never repealed by implication. Congress must explicitly amend a previous law. The mining acts have been amended from time to time. Here is an example of the language Congress uses to amend or repeal an existing law. This is from the 1870 Placer Act - notice the language and how they are very clear that this is an amendment to a previous specific named law:

And here is a repeal of a mining law from Section 9 of the 1872 Mining Act:

Now your job, should you wish to prove your point, will be to find those phrases in bold (or words to that effect) in any of the Congressional Acts you believe might have amended or repealed the existing Mining Acts. When you have discovered specific amendments or repeals to the Mining Acts I hope you will share your new found knowledge with us.

Now you have been educated and informed. :thumbsup:

Heavy Pans

Man you just don't get it!

Try this one...

Search the page for... Amend And for... 1872

The US Code that I linked to is the 1872 mining act with all of the amendments! ( Title 30) I actually thought you would have known that fact! My bad!

For example take a look at the link below and compare it to what I previously posted. It's the 1872 mining act Locators rights of possession and enjoyment!

30 USC 26: Locators' rights of possession and enjoyment

Or see this pdf showing where the amended the 1872 mining act. It shows the mining act reference numbers converted to USC reference numbers.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...naiVVgle3RHlKgXYw&sig2=88QzjKFg48P2tFaDFxU2YA

As usual you ignore the 1872 mining acts requirement to comply with federal, state and local rules, laws and regulations.

Last edited:

Hefty1

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2010
OLRC Home

SEC. 3. That the locators of all mining locations heretofore made, or which shall hereafter be made, on any mineral veln, lode, or ledge, situated on the public domain, their heirs and assigns, where no adverse claim exists at the passage of this act, so long as they comply with the laws of the United States, and with State, territorial, and local regulations not in conflict with said laws of the United States governing their possessory title..

The 1872 mining act requires compliance with the Federal CWA and all other State and local regulations.

Possessory is a right to possess. It is not a right to mine in violation of laws and regulations.

The first enviromental law in the USA was the banning of.hydraulic mining. Did the 1872 mining act stop the passage of the law?

The pdf link below shows many but not all of the amendments

The 1872 mining act requires compliance with the Federal CWA and all other State and local regulations. I don't see that in the 1872 Mining Act?

"not in conflict with said laws" What does this mean to you... chlsbrns
"banning of.hydraulic mining." What law? Show us the Law!

chlsbrns

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2013
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
The 1872 mining act requires compliance with the Federal CWA and all other State and local regulations. I don't see that in the 1872 Mining Act?

"not in conflict with said laws" What does this mean to you... chlsbrns
"banning of.hydraulic mining." What law? Show us the Law!

You are kidding right?

See section 3 of the 1872 act: The General Mining Act of 1872 « USminer ? Placer Gold Maps and Gold Prospecting Tutorials

Or read the USC (1872 act) that I have already linkd to: 30 USC 26: Locators' rights of possession and enjoyment

not in conflict with said laws of the United States governing their possessory title..

Laws of the United States governing their possessory title.
For the second time! It's a right of possession!

The 1872 mining act does not specifically say the CWA but it does say: so long as they comply with the laws of the United States, and with State, territorial, and local regulations.

The cwa is a federal law.

California's First Environmental Law

Last edited:

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The US Code that I linked to is the 1872 mining act with all of the amendments! ( Title 30) I actually thought you would have known that fact! My bad!

For example take a look at the link below and compare it to what I previously posted. It's the 1872 mining act Locators rights of possession and enjoyment!

30 USC 26: Locators' rights of possession and enjoyment

I had hoped you would take this opportunity to learn and increase your knowledge chlsbrns. Spending your research time trying to rebut Supreme Court decisions can be rather fruitless - as you discovered.

The US Code you refer to above is not a quote of the 1872 Mining Act it is a derivative of R.S. §2322 which is an old abandoned restatement (not law) of the 1872 Act. There was no intention to quote the actual law. This is the nature of Codification - it is a readers digest version of law. Discover the difference between Positive Law and Non Positive Law in the Code.

I should point out that Title 30 of the US Code is not positive law, was not enacted by Congress and should not be relied on as a definitive source of law. In other words - not good enough. Go back and find the law and the amendments to that law. You can do that on the internet but you will need to read the instructions on the various source sites before you read the materials and make conclusions based on incomplete knowledge of the tools you are using. (see below)

If you study the Guide to the US Code at the site you linked to you will understand that there is a lot more to sourcing the Code than you presumed. That is how you were mislead in your understanding of the significance of the portion of USC 30 you offered.

Quoting the Code itself and comparing it the the actual positive law enacted by Congress might reveal some inconsistencies in the Code but it will not provide a direct comparison based on current law. Including the Supreme Court decision I gave you. Trying to substitute your beliefs for the Supreme Court's decisions is a losers game in the only place it matters - in court.

I see a real desire on your part to know this material chlsbrns. Please try to concentrate on the subject matter and avoid the google and wilderness.net distractions. Look to the actual law for a complete understanding. Keep doing the research and you can become an asset to your fellow miners. :thumbsup:

Heavy Pans

chlsbrns

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2013
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
I had hoped you would take this opportunity to learn and increase your knowledge chlsbrns. Spending your research time trying to rebut Supreme Court decisions can be rather fruitless - as you discovered.

The US Code you refer to above is not a quote of the 1872 Mining Act it is a derivative of R.S. §2322 which is an old abandoned restatement (not law) of the 1872 Act. There was no intention to quote the actual law. This is the nature of Codification - it is a readers digest version of law. Discover the difference between Positive Law and Non Positive Law in the Code.

I should point out that Title 30 of the US Code is not positive law, was not enacted by Congress and should not be relied on as a definitive source of law. In other words - not good enough. Go back and find the law and the amendments to that law. You can do that on the internet but you will need to read the instructions on the various source sites before you read the materials and make conclusions based on incomplete knowledge of the tools you are using. (see below)

If you study the Guide to the US Code at the site you linked to you will understand that there is a lot more to sourcing the Code than you presumed. That is how you were mislead in your understanding of the significance of the portion of USC 30 you offered.

Quoting the Code itself and comparing it the the actual positive law enacted by Congress might reveal some inconsistencies in the Code but it will not provide a direct comparison based on current law. Including the Supreme Court decision I gave you. Trying to substitute your beliefs for the Supreme Court's decisions is a losers game in the only place it matters - in court.

I see a real desire on your part to know this material chlsbrns. Please try to concentrate on the subject matter and avoid the google and wilderness.net distractions. Look to the actual law for a complete understanding. Keep doing the research and you can become an asset to your fellow miners. :thumbsup:

Heavy Pans

Im not wasting any more of my time replying to your inability to comprehend what you read. You believe whatever you want to believe.

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm not sure who brought up the subject of hydraulic mining? Here's the skinny on the law in California-

PUBLIC RESOURCES CODE
SECTION 3980-3985

3981. The business of hydraulic mining may be carried on within the
state wherever and whenever it can be carried on without material
injury to navigable streams or the lands adjacent thereto.

3982. "Hydraulic mining," as used in Section 3981, is mining by
means of the application of water, under pressure, through a nozzle,
against a natural bank.

Never has been illegal. :thumbsup:

Thank you chlsbrns. My faith is restored in you. I was beginning to think your intent was to derail this thread. It is time to move on.

Now maybe we can get back to the subject of Brandon's case continuing to succeed against the State of California's prosecution of his exercise of his mining rights.

Heavy Pans

chlsbrns

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2013
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm not sure who brought up the subject of hydraulic mining? Here's the skinny on the law in California-

Never has been illegal. :thumbsup:

Thank you chlsbrns. My faith is restored in you. I was beginning to think your intent was to derail this thread. It is time to move on.

Now maybe we can get back to the subject of Brandon's case continuing to succeed against the State of California's prosecution of his exercise of his mining rights.

Heavy Pans

It was never my intention to hijack this thread! Sorry about that!

Yes get back to the Brandon case. The sooner his case is over the sooner you will see that even if he wins miners will still lose as the cwa and California's stricter water laws will put an end to dredging.

Hefty1

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2010
It was never my intention to hijack this thread! Sorry about that!

Yes get back to the Brandon case. The sooner his case is over the sooner you will see that even if he wins miners will still lose as the cwa and California's stricter water laws will put an end to dredging.

And when that happens...I will praise you like a God. :BangHead:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions