ACE 250, Tesoro Cibola, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Whites CoinMaster

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Just remember that anything on the "state" level, will not apply to "city" level sites. So state parks will be different from city parks and schools.

Most cities do not have any prohibitions. But it may be one those psychology deals, where if you walked in to city hall and asked, you might be told "no", where no real rule exists (merely because they morph something else to apply to your question). And truth be told, perhaps they'd have never have given it thought before, and you'd just have been ignored.

So I would just hunt any city park or school, unless posted otherwise. If you are still skittish, you can look up those city's websites, on line. Under the rules and regulations tab/section, do a key-word search under variations of "metal detecting" or "metal detectors", etc... If it is silent on the issue, well..... then .... SO BE IT! :tongue3:

George (MN)

May 16, 2005
The international park is called Niagara Reservation & I'm sure they would never allow it. Niagara Falls, NY is an old city, with several old parks. I would just go to Wikipedia, type in Niagara Falls, NY, click on link for city website, click on departments if park & rec isn't showing yet. They should have list of parks with locations & maybe map, maybe facilities. HH, George (MN)

srcdco

Dec 11, 2006
Western NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Nox-800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Many years ago, I asked for written permission (or the laws against it, if they existed) to detect on City property in the City of Jamestown, NY, along with a definition of what was City property. In particular, I was trying to get something in writing that would allow me to detect the "avenues" between the street and the sidewalk, which the City did acknowledge was their property. The problem I had was that homeowners would insist that it was their property and a couple called the Police. The Police were nice about it and just asked that I stay away from those houses.
In the end, I did get a nice letter (which I still have) that stated that the parks and "avenues" are City property and that there are no laws or rules against metal detecting. However, it also pointed out that there is a 1941 law on the books that states that "no citizen may disturb the flowers, trees, or grass on any City owned property". I expect that many municipalities have similar laws on the books that could be used against metal detecting (or retrieval of the items).

Scott

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread