State owned bank money courier, not CRH friendly

Silver Saver

Mar 15, 2017
Center of North America
Detector(s) used
Etrac- Sunray x5, x8, x12. Garrett Carrot.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I started CRH a little over a month ago and everything has been going well until last week. I happen to live in the only state with a state-owned bank and they act as the money courier for every bank in my city and surrounding area. Every bank in the area orders their money from this state-owned bank, and also sends their excess money there. Last week they complained to the bank about my half dollar orders. I'll go into detail about my experience so far.

I've been ordering $2k each week in half dollars from a credit union that I joined when I started CRH. When I opened the account, I first ended up talking to the V.P. of the credit union and told him what I was looking for as far as supply of half dollars and I got the OK from him to do so. That C.U. has been super friendly and accommodating toward me. I've gotten $2k in halves each week with no problems until last week. I was told that the V.P. wanted to talk to me again, and according to him the money courier, Bank of North Dakota, made a stink about my half dollar orders and pretty much said they don't want to be dealing with them. Part of the couriers annoyance with the situation is just with the whole CRH process in general and that they feel like they are just picking up dumps and re-wrapping the same coins over and over.

I'll also say that on top of the $2k from that credit union, I've also been picking up another 2-3 boxes from other banks each week. A couple weeks back BND(Bank of North Dakota) made these same kind of comments to a different bank I made an order at that week. And I've also been picking up 1 box every monday from another source too, with zero problems, but then today(4th) they didn't have a box for me. But the vault teller wasn't there so I wasn't able to find out why. But it could be related.

I'm not sure if this courier(Bank of North Dakota) has ever dealt with volume CRH in the past, but I'm pretty sure that I'm the only person in the area attempting to volume hunt halves at this time. When I first started hunting they provided me with C.W.I. boxes that were stamped 2015, then 2017 CWI boxes shortly after. And every other denomination box I've picked up has been CWI boxes. So BND gets their supply from CWI, and when I first started CRH I asked BND what they do with the bags of coins they receive off coin counting machines and at that time they told me that the bags get sent off to "the fed". But after BND started receiving my dumps of half dollars they started re-rolling my dumps to send back out for my orders, these re-rolled halves are machine wrapped and come in a BND canvas bag.

So I adapted to that situation and made accounts at multiple banks in order to spread my dumps out as thin as possible and create a higher chance of getting back halves that other customers might have deposited. While the courier(BND) is looking at the situation as sending out the same coins over and over, I'm looking at the situation of being this is just how the CRH game goes. I might be getting the same coins back for the most part, but there might be a handful that aren't the same and you never know when that one person will deposit a collection. And with it being only me doing volume halves in the area, I'm willing to play that game until I'm not finding anything at all. And that isn't happening yet. In my last 9 BND supplied $500 canvas bag of rolled halves I've found 16 silver. I'll also add that every bank I've been to so far has coin counting machines and most require coins brought in to be ran through the machine, then when the bag on the machine fills it's sealed then sent to BND. For the most part anyway. So that adds to the chance of making finds from BND supply.

I guess it's just somewhat frustrating that I have banks that are willing to order half dollars for me, but a courier that seems to want to get in the way. I look at it as they've taken on that role as money courier for the area, so they should do their job and supply the banks with what they ask for without making a stink about it. Even if the money being ordered is only being used by a CRH. All I'm wanting to do is have fun and enjoy the hobby.
I think I need to talk to management at BND and see what the issue is. This is a hobby I would like to do long term, and hope that they can work with me and not against me.

Sorry about the length, I just wanted to share the situation. Any thoughts?

Upvote 0

LooseChange

Sep 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
. . . the couriers annoyance with the situation is just with the whole CRH process in general and that they feel like they are just picking up dumps and re-wrapping the same coins over and over. . .

Sorry about the length, I just wanted to share the situation. Any thoughts?

Offer to take coin-lok bags of halves rather than boxes. Bags of halves are great because you do not have to crack rolls. This would alleviate the roll, re-roll concern.

There a couple of risks with this approach though (clear plastic means a monster bag might get noticed by a vault teller and poached, might get a bag that you filled).

If the halves are producing, try to work out an approach that doesn't get you cut off. If the halves are not producing, switch to dimes.

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I might change strategy. Drop the number of ordered boxes and spread out your dumps is a good plan.

Can you go bank to bank and get customer rolls of halves and other coins BEFORE it gets to the central bank? CWR may be the way to go. Then you get them straight from the source and avoid the hassle of the state bank?

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First, I doubt you're the only crher in your state. Second, how are you dumping your halves? I trust you're not dumping at your pickup bank.

OP
OP
Silver Saver

Silver Saver

Mar 15, 2017
Center of North America
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I might change strategy. Drop the number of ordered boxes and spread out your dumps is a good plan.

Can you go bank to bank and get customer rolls of halves and other coins BEFORE it gets to the central bank? CWR may be the way to go. Then you get them straight from the source and avoid the hassle of the state bank?

I'm doing this strategy also, and getting bags off machines where I can but most banks don't allow it and if they do it will take a long time to fill the bag back up after I take it. I haven't been to bank in the area yet that had CWR on hand, most dont even keep stock of halves, only about 3 I've been to keep about $200 of halves on hand that they've ordered from BND. And I've asked at 95% of the banks in the area. I need to make orders for the volume I'm wishing to do. Thanks

OP
OP
Silver Saver

Silver Saver

Mar 15, 2017
Center of North America
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First, I doubt you're the only crher in your state. Second, how are you dumping your halves? I trust you're not dumping at your pickup bank.

If anyone else was doing volume halves, getting their orders through BND, I don't believe I would have first gotten 2015 stamped CWI boxes then 2017 shortly after. That makes me think if anyone else in the area was doing volume halves at this time, then 2015 boxes would've been gone a while ago. If anyone else in the area was volume CRH halves then I would think it would be something BND has dealt with and not have make complaints after only 1 month of halves being ordered. I don't doubt there are others CRH, but not necessarily volume halves in the BND supply area. Not that this matters either, but there have been a few times where BND hasn't even had the stock of halves on hand to fulfill the orders I've been making. I doubt anyone dealing with Garda, Brinks, Loomis, Dunbar, or CWI would deal with these types of issues. Maybe from the banks, but probably not from the companies that are supplying the banks.

As far as dumping halves, I have accounts at 7 banks in order to spread my dumps out as thin as possible and I would never dump where I am picking up my orders. I will open more bank accounts too in order to spread it out even more If I have no problems obtaining the volume. Also I feel obligated to give my pick up banks my business, and even dump banks have way more than just minimum balance.

bertmaster2000

Dec 19, 2013
Northern US
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like an uphill battle. I would switch to only asking for CWR halves to avoid the problem you’re having with the state bank.

Zomotion

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, coinmaster Gt Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DP - hate to say it but I think you brought the heat on yourself. A lot of people on this thread talk about starting slow and working up to higher volumes. 2k out the gate is not too bad, but then you mention about and another 1-2k on top of it... Only a month in. you could tell pretty quickly that you might be the only one in your area doing this, which to be honest would get my blood pumping and want to get everything and anything I could order. But like I said you've possibly worn out your welcome.

Your situation is odd since it's the courier complaining.... I just see you dumping coin as job security for them... But they just see it as a hassle.

I'm sure you're in a more populated area of ND, but you don't have the safety net of a large area where there are other couriers. Sounds like they have a handle on the area, what they say goes...

Best of luck with damage control. hopefully there's a mutually agreeable solution

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
Yup sounds like you live in the sticks. How many banks are withing a 10 mile radius? I live in Suburban Boston and I have no idea of how many banks and credit unions within 10 miles but within a 1 mile radius I have 6 banks and it goes up from there.

I have been thinking about getting coin-lok bags as I finally found a bank that will sell them. Just not sure if someone else is using it as a dump bank, they seem to fill up halves at least every few weeks so I think for halves they are.

I am thinking of starting with a dime bag, although I hate to give up on halves.

OP
OP
Silver Saver

Silver Saver

Mar 15, 2017
Center of North America
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DP - hate to say it but I think you brought the heat on yourself. A lot of people on this thread talk about starting slow and working up to higher volumes. 2k out the gate is not too bad, but then you mention about and another 1-2k on top of it... Only a month in. you could tell pretty quickly that you might be the only one in your area doing this, which to be honest would get my blood pumping and want to get everything and anything I could order. But like I said you've possibly worn out your welcome.

Your situation is odd since it's the courier complaining.... I just see you dumping coin as job security for them... But they just see it as a hassle.

I'm sure you're in a more populated area of ND, but you don't have the safety net of a large area where there are other couriers. Sounds like they have a handle on the area, what they say goes...

Best of luck with damage control. hopefully there's a mutually agreeable solution

Yeah that's what I thought too as far as job security for them. I defiantly agree I brought the heat on myself, but I read tons of forums in the beginning and made the assumption that it was the bank who I needed the good relations with and not so much the deliverer. Defiantly a unique situation, but hopefully I can come to some kind of resolution. Thanks

LooseChange

Sep 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
.... I just see you dumping coin as job security for them... But they just see it as a hassle...

Yeah that's what I thought too as far as job security for them...

In all likelihood, the courier is paid a flat fee. They get paid the same for moving 2 boxes of dimes as they do for moving 14 boxes of halves. They just want less work for the same pay (don't we all?).

OP
OP
Silver Saver

Silver Saver

Mar 15, 2017
Center of North America
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup sounds like you live in the sticks. How many banks are withing a 10 mile radius? I live in Suburban Boston and I have no idea of how many banks and credit unions within 10 miles but within a 1 mile radius I have 6 banks and it goes up from there.
I live in a city of 70k pop with another city right across the river of 20k, there are about 12 banks with about 55 branches. So defiantly enough for options to work with.
Thanks and good luck with your searches!

OP
OP
Silver Saver

Silver Saver

Mar 15, 2017
Center of North America
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In all likelihood, the courier is paid a flat fee. They get paid the same for moving 2 boxes of dimes as they do for moving 14 boxes of halves. They just want less work for the same pay (don't we all?).

They've said it costs them more if they don't order when they make their regular orders, so yep you're right on that.

And yes we would all prefer less work for same money. Thanks

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread