State Parks. Yes or NO NO!

Marvin

Dec 24, 2010
Western Burbs of Chicago
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not having much luck trying to search the posts here. I don't have the right membership. I found specific language in the ordinances regarding using MD's in the state parks but it seems to suggest that there are permits available. Anyone ever get a permit for the parks or specific parks?
Here's the section copied and pasted from the state DNR site. It would seem that every area of every state park falls into one of their "zones".

...prohibited...

c) For any person to operate a metal or mineral detection device, except that person
may use hand carried devices on Department of Natural Resources properties that
are not classified or zoned as State Historical, Archaeological, Military or Nature
Preserve sites. In addition, persons must obtain a permit from the Department
through the Site Superintendent, in advance, indicating the location where these
devices shall be used. Further, only a small pen knife, ice-pick or screwdriver
shall be used by permittee to recover any find in the area designated. After DECEMBER 19, 2007 17 ILL. ADM. CODE CH. I, SEC. 110
completing detection activity, the permittee must return the work area to its
original state. No shovels, picks or entrenching devices of any size shall be used.

Thanks for any help.

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Marvin, head to Rock Cut and see them at the desk, they are the most friendly about it and can give you all the details. Many other state parks have no permits available period.

The permit is free and the last one I got there was good for three years. The time period granted under the permit is subject to the discrimination of the onsite staff.

amxfred

May 14, 2011
Dekalb, IL
Detector(s) used
E-Trac w/Sunray X-1 Probe & Auvio wireless headphones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I spoke with the park director of Apple River State Park and hunting is not permitted there because it is a historical ghost town site. She told me most of the other parks will give a permit as long as they are not designated historical. The permits are free.

p2c

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2009
Matteson, IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac and Grey Ghost NDT; Garrett Pointer Pro
At some point, I remember coming across a website, I don't remember if it was the state's or a private website, which listed which state parks allowed, disallowed, or allowed with restrictions detecting. I am thinking in addition to historical sites there may have been areas that prohibited it due to threatened species breading grounds. I wish I could find that site for you, but it was one that was not super easy to find. Though perhaps you could find it with a little finger-grease (the e - version of elbow grease)...

p2c

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2009
Matteson, IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac and Grey Ghost NDT; Garrett Pointer Pro
p2c said:
At some point, I remember coming across a website, I don't remember if it was the state's or a private website, which listed which state parks allowed, disallowed, or allowed with restrictions detecting. I am thinking in addition to historical sites there may have been areas that prohibited it due to threatened species breading grounds. I wish I could find that site for you, but it was one that was not super easy to find. Though perhaps you could find it with a little finger-grease (the e - version of elbow grease)...

Here's the site -- DNR (only lists where permits can be attained):
http://dnr.state.il.us/lands/Landmgt/programs/DayUse/metaldetect.htm

OP
OP
Marvin

Marvin

Dec 24, 2010
Western Burbs of Chicago
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
p2c - That list is golden! Maybe silver too, we'll see. If I can ever find a way to leave the house (wife works when I don't, three children) I've picked a couple parks within 90 minutes of the house and started looking at some old maps of the areas. Exciting prospects! Thanks for link.

M

MR Senior L4S

Yes , Yes , have obtain permit from office or call them , ( sat. and sun most off. are close or operating short time )Some parks have only partial for MD .

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Let's get a weekend campout/group hunt put together at one of those that have md permits available!

Anybody interested?

Since most have at least well developed primitive camp sites, and some hook ups for RV's it could turn out to be a good time.

marinedad

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2009
pisgah forest, n.c.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
minelab e-trac and equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
got room for a 26' travel trailer tim? my tenting days are over.

OP
OP
Marvin

Marvin

Dec 24, 2010
Western Burbs of Chicago
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd be up for it. There's a couple in the West Central part of the state that have some history to them.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread