State Quarter Maps

mws_1984

Sep 2, 2011
Cleaning out my closet and came across a State Quarter Map that I had in there. I knew it was there, but I'm wondering if this is even worth keeping. It basically looks like crap. You can see on the outside the spots where some quarters were pushed into their spots. I have the full map done, but they weren't mint or anything. If I got a quarter I needed in change I'd just throw it on there. I'm wondering if this is even worth keeping. Or should I just pop out the quarters and cash them in or just put them in another container. I might actually have a full set stored those black film canisters. Since I was trying to have 1 on the map and 1 in the container. I didn't even get beyond going into the different "wonders" and I doubt I have any rare ones. You can probably easily find all these quarters in your pocket change.

Upvote 0

The_EE

Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2011
Constant state of misery
Primary Interest:
Other
They seem to sell for a premium at auctions I go to. Usually above the face value of the coins. Truthfully though, I would say you would get better returns buying silver using those quarters, more return that way or at least less inflationary loss.

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
Primary Interest:
Other
Depends, numismatically the coins are unlikely to be worth much more than face, but there are a few interesting errors/varieties in there (extra leaf Wisconsin quarter, I think there were a few rotated die ones, and other varieties) that you might want to check.

OP
OP
M

mws_1984

Sep 2, 2011
I'm probably just going to pop them out. I highly doubt I have any of the rarity ones. I would have noticed I'm sure. Need to focus on things that are going to be worth something.
can anyone suggest a site that tells the different errors on the state quarters? If I decide to look.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if you can sell it at a local coin auction, you may get $3-4 for it being used... But you also have to take this into consideration...
Auctions take a hefty percentage on what you sell, sometimes upwards of 15-20%. If you were to put the book up on auction and get $4.00, you're really walking away with roughly $3.40 after all is said and done.
Gasoline is also $3.52 a gallon as of right now(depends on area, some areas cheaper, some more expensive)... You'll likely spend more money and hassle bringing the book to auction to sell it. Give it to a young collector, donate it to the local library to give to a kid who appreciates it ,or toss it.
Honestly, I would not try to sell it, and the quarters insde of it are not valueable since the state quarters were over-minted.
This is an opinion-based statement, feel free to express your feelings toward my posy :)
Buff

OP
OP
M

mws_1984

Sep 2, 2011
Be more worth it to just pop them all out. $12.50 in quarters on there. I could use the $ more than the coins right now. Plus state quarters are everywhere.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions