sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow you would do this for funny money?? Why if you want funny money you can get it by the hand full just go to td bank and check the magnet!! I now have about 18 lbs now what??? In a short time. Am not sure why i even take it any more???

I may be able to work out a deal for you, as I collect funny money. If anything, this would have to occur in a month. I could even do an exchange for Canadian (not $100s but maybe $50).

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like your style too, frankly even though it may seem eccentric to some, you are maximizing your chances for a good score, or lots of little ones, by looking for coins in everyway possible

Bigheed

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it is technically not legal to take trash from a residence or business.....I know for a fact in CA it is not legal, the dumpsters in our townhouse have a sticker on them with the CA statute # on it and says its illegal.

Coinstar probably isn't a big deal....I bet no one would even blink an eye, but inside of a bank could be viewed as an attempt to harvest customer information, even though we know you're not, others don't. Personally, I wouldn't risk it, maybe ask the manager if you can have the magnet finds?

OP
OP
I

Immy

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great discussion! I like the suggestion of replacing the bag and I've thought of the donation cup thingie, maybe label it "junk coins" or something, but what's to prevent someone from taking it, or the Coinstar tech from tossing it.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Digging in the banks trash is considered trespassing you can be arrested. The "trash" is still the property of the bank. Easier to ask them to save them for you. Same with the coinstar trash. As long as it's still in the store you can be arrested for theft of store property. I take a pencil with sticky goo from the referidgerator magnets & check the bottom of the chute you put your coins in. I've come up with a ton of earrings, 7 diamond studs & one teenie silver ring (toe ring?!?) and two saint christophers.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
boogyman * --- a plunger push button type claw nut grabber mechnic's tool is great for fishing thru those grate holes that is over the the trash "catch pan" --lots of earrings and small treasures get lost into the trash pan thru those grate holes when folks dump the coins onto the tray to do coin counting the process.

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
boogyman * --- a plunger push button type claw nut grabber mechnic's tool is great for fishing thru those grate holes that is over the the trash "catch pan" --lots of earrings and small treasures get lost into the trash pan thru those grate holes when folks dump the coins onto the tray to do coin counting the process.

I've only found one thing, and that is a SA 1 cent (smaller than a dime). I knew it was copper plated steel so took a magnet to get it out.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, that's cool but I never got the Always be prepared merit badge..... I've always got a pen though. A few times I've spotted something & ended up buying a gum ball from the machines right by the coin star. Hint, The sour apple ones adhere the best, and doesn't take long to chew the sugar out.:thumbsup:

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just to let you know ,I work at a grocery store & my whole coin collection ,of USA,Mexico,Canada & other countries all came from the reject slot from Coinstar machines.I have a big 3 ring binder with about 20 pages of nothing but foreign coins .Most of my USA coins came from friends,but most came from the reject slot.

GarouLady

Sep 6, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
I have been called out on searching our garbage so I wait till the end of the night and when I change the garbages on all our lanes, I take them back to the compactor. I tap the bags on the concrete a couple of times, listening for the sound of change. More often then not, its just a dime or penny that I throw into our communal lane change holders. If its something really sweet, oops it slips out of my hand into my pocket. Then the garbage goes into the compactor to get smashed.

Absolutely love the fake reject box idea. Couldn't do it at my store because I would be fired, but I definitely would want to check it out at some other store.

Smiles and Silver for everyone,
Garoulady

AdDicted2Ag

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2012
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would never do this, but hey to each their own.. Finding the occasional canadian dime or wheat penny is just not worth going through trash to get IMO. I am not a person that is easily freaked out by germs, but think of how many sick people there are with diseases out there.. Maybe I should just start sending you my funny money and save you some time and sick days..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread