Stealing fossils... Be careful what you talk about....

placerman

Oct 11, 2005
I found "something" in a creek bed in NC about 10 years ago.

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,275388.0.html

I got someone at a university in Massachusetts to look at these photos. They said it was more or less geological or geothermal related...

Eventually a fellow showed up and asked about this fossil. I still have no idea how he even knew who I was.

I called him to the area under my porch and produced this rock/fossil. He was very curt and said it was worthless and left.

Previously I had always kept this rock under the porch as it is too big and heavy to keep in the house. Well after meeting this guy I put it in the trunk of my car. That night someone came onto my property and tore up the area under my porch where I used to keep this rock.

The police called it attempted burglary but the thief never tried to come inside the house.

This fossil is now stored much more safely and at a completely different location.

I have basically ID'ed myself or at least the general area where I live on this forum.

Maybe that is how this guy found me? Maybe I'm completely wrong in this.

What is this rock and why would someone risk jail to steal it?

Bikerboyzx6r

May 3, 2010
Liverpool, England.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Well mate, looks like tracks left by a dinosaur! If so.... very very very collectible as many are far too big to remove from an area!!! :hello2:

Cheers
Dan

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't remember the original post but those little marks look like very small hoof prints to me. Possibly an ancient member of the deer family with a split hoof? I think it is very interesting and would look great as part of a fireplace or wall and probably was why the thieves were after it. Built in art work like that is priceless in an upscale home. Monty

Solius Symbiosus

Aug 4, 2009
Correlation does not imply causality!!! I would be looking at the dumb ass rednecks in the area that you showed the rock to.

mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
how sad. I am sorry you have gone through this experience. it has violated your sense of security in your home, which should be the most secure place you have. I hope you find who did this, & can press charges.

jrsherman

Oct 15, 2008
Tulsa, OK
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD, F75, Minelab Excalibur 1000, Etrac
I am terribly sorry for what happened to you placerman, I hate thieves with a passion, and prison is too good for them. The rock you have is very unique and neat, though I can't help you with any id.

On an alternate note, I really love it when someone calls someone else a "dumb a$$ redneck". As a "dumb ass redneck", I graduated High School, National Honor Society inducted for what it's worth. I didn't go to college though, my parents were in that nice little tax bracket where you don't qualify for grants, but can't get scholarships, and I am not a loan fan.

So, this "dumb ass redneck" joined the Navy, where I was able to become a DOE qualified nuclear plant operator.

Much in the same method, my grandfather, with no high school education, no college education, or any other formal education, spent 50 years of his life being called a "shoeless dumb ass hillbilly" by the people that brought him their machinery to be repaired using complex machinists gear, creating things he had never seen, or welding seams in places there was no way of observing the bead on.

I really love all you people that pit everyone in the South to being "dumb ass rednecks". It really improves your self-image in my eyes, and I am sure in others eyes as well.

Sorry to hijack this thread, but I just love it when people get stereotyped.

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Sounds pretty fishy to me that it happened the same night. Did you happen to get the guys name or where he was from?

Charlie

Jr, they can call me a "dumb ass redneck" all they want...I love it when they under estimate me, it almost always works out to my advantage :laughing7:

Snarkie

Feb 14, 2011
North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are three ways that he may have found out who/where you are.

1) You showed it to someone who IDed you
2) Someone got your IP addy from either a forum, or
3) Your email addy

If it was either 2 or 3, it indicates a professional.

As to the Redneck stereotype, well, some of us have gone on to lead quite successful lives.

TheRandyMan

Apr 3, 2010
Dallas, Texas
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II, Minelab Etrac, Ace 250k, Discovery TF-900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just thinking out loud here...does not look to me like horse hooves, even very tiny horse hooves, and if it were some sort of animal the guys that you had look at it would have probably been able to determine that.

My guess is, if it was not hail, it could have been a mini meteorite swarm...if the "perp" had any idea in his head that there were a bunch of super old mini meteorites in that rock he could have thought, and rightly so, that it would have been worth a LOT of money..as in milliions(?)...

Did you ever have the rock tested by X ray? :icon_scratch:

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
Took a look at the photos, and rock appears to be either siltstone or fine sandstone: probably underwater when the depressions were made. For that reason, don't think it was hail. Could be some huge form of tube worm, as several live in mud/silt/sandy areas here in Oregon. But personally, I like the track theory.

Another thing that might help. Have you tried counting the layers visible in the rock? These are kind of like tree growth rings, and should give you a tentative age for the rock in cross-section. Might have to use a good microscope.

dragon6banger

Sep 23, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
garrett gtp 1350
TheRandyMan said:
Just thinking out loud here...does not look to me like horse hooves, even very tiny horse hooves, and if it were some sort of animal the guys that you had look at it would have probably been able to determine that.

My guess is, if it was not hail, it could have been a mini meteorite swarm...if the "perp" had any idea in his head that there were a bunch of super old mini meteorites in that rock he could have thought, and rightly so, that it would have been worth a LOT of money..as in milliions(?)...

Did you ever have the rock tested by X ray? :icon_scratch:

This is the first thing that comes to mind, is it is full of mini meteorites that hit the earth at the time of the dino's.....yeah million dollars easily if this is the case......but hey im just a dumb a$$ redneck so what do i know...good luck with however this turns out

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread