onfire

Silver Member
Nov 30, 2004
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
250 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't know if anyone else has encounter this. last 10 box's I got out of the bank concerned me. Someone has actually found a way to remove the silver from clad. Every box I opened the coins were gray in color They all had some sort of film on them I had to wear rubber gloves to crack them open. I took a few back to the bank and needed a explanation they said just run them threw the counter and don't make a big deal out of them. They came from the feds in Chicago and it would be impossible to find iut who would be doing this. In fact they may even feel at this point they are counterfeit. I kept a few for pictures at a later date. very weird.

Upvote 0

cooper36

Nov 30, 2011
east coast
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holy ****.
Todays lesson kids will be about the composition of US coins.
For the longest time, nickels have been made out of 75% copper, 25% nickel. They've always been this and always will be like this.
Dimes, Quarters, and Half Dollars were all 90% silver, 10% copper up until 1964. After 1964, these coins were/are made with a 91.67% copper and 8.33% nickel composition.
Pennies were copper pre 1982, and zinc post 1982, with 1982 having both.
There is NO SILVER used on modern day coins except for the rare silver plated coin, or the 90% proof coin, which has a very low mintage figure.
Any questions?
I have a question. Why am I looking for 40% silver halfs If "after 1964, these coins were/are made with a 91.67% copper and 8.33% nickel composition"?

agme

Feb 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lesson continued...

Another "CLAD" coin of interest is 1965 to 1970 Kennedy half dollar.
The core of this coin is an alloy of 21% silver, 79% copper. The exterior is a clad layer alloy of 80% silver, 20% copper.

Posted above.
HH

xrunndonex

Dec 4, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a question. Why am I looking for 40% silver halfs If "after 1964, these coins were/are made with a 91.67% copper and 8.33% nickel composition"?

Uhh because they are still silver and are worth more then face

I really can't simplify this anymore

mAGma

May 29, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
I found ten 10 boxes of weird colored purple halves the other day. I've got pics of them but I probably won't put them up, just wanted to tell you.

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got a box of quarters the other day that were black and white striped and all had a hole in the middle. This is normal right? Ill post pictures.......soon........

50cent

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2012
Super-Skunksville x1000.
Primary Interest:
Other
I am still confused. Wth is the op talking about?

I've been around enough cases of these to make a proper assessment and diagnosis. The OP suffered slight impact of an object weighing exactly 200 grams, exactly the weight of a roll of nickels, to the forehead of his skull; predominantly, the silver region of the Pre-Frontal-Cortex has been affected in his brain. Below I have outlined the main symptoms.

Sympoms:

✓ Poor decision making in clad or silver discrimination.
✓ Disillusion of silvers
✓ Failure to recognize the proper metallic makeup of the nickel.

I'z thrown enough rolls at people to know what the symptoms are, and have taken a few rolls to the head myself. he's just lucky it was only a roll of nickels. If a roll of nickels did this to him, imagine what a roll of halves, or god forbid, a roll of ikes would of done. He'll be fine in a couple of days.

xrunndonex

Dec 4, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been around enough cases of these to make a proper assessment and diagnosis. The OP suffered slight impact of an object weighing exactly 200 grams, exactly the weight of a roll of nickels, to the forehead of his skull; predominantly, the silver region of the Pre-Frontal-Cortex has been affected in his brain. Below I have outlined the main symptoms.

Sympoms:

✓ Poor decision making in clad or silver discrimination.
✓ Disillusion of silvers
✓ Failure to recognize the proper metallic makeup of the nickel.

I'z thrown enough rolls at people to know what the symptoms are, and have taken a few rolls to the head myself. he's just lucky it was only a roll of nickels. If a roll of nickels did this to him, imagine what a roll of halves, or god forbid, a roll of ikes would of done. He'll be fine in a couple of days.

Thank you Dr. Fity. I believe the hypothesis is right I hear cases like this in the underground world of coinage all the time.

xrunndonex

Dec 4, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I mean one day you're fine but the next day you could get hit with a roll

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Lesson continued...

Another "CLAD" coin of interest is 1965 to 1970 Kennedy half dollar.
The core of this coin is an alloy of 21% silver, 79% copper. The exterior is a clad layer alloy of 80% silver, 20% copper.

Back in the day, most people referred to the 40% halves as 'clad', and that word was not used to describe non-silver coins at all. I suspect that is what the OP is referring to.

TypeCoin971793

Oct 7, 2013
Here or There or Anywhere
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They could have been spray-painted or (more likely) covered with a disinfectant. Maybe the coins were in a place where they were rendered unfit for human contact. Who knows... A chemical analysis may be the only way to find out.

50cent

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2012
Super-Skunksville x1000.
Primary Interest:
Other
They could have been spray-painted or (more likely) covered with a disinfectant. Maybe the coins were in a place where they were rendered unfit for human contact. Who knows... A chemical analysis may be the only way to find out.

G4qQbLQ.jpg

zacc1758

Dec 31, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It sounds like what happens when you use vinegar in a tumbler to clean clad. They turn grey and look wierd.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread