steam cleaning...

Montauk3

Nov 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2 \ Sovereign GT BeachHunter ID
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Does anyone else steam clean the diamonds and CZ's that they find?

The difference between regular cleaning (soap and toothbrush) and using a steamer is truly outstanding.

I never realized how different these stones would look before I picked up a jewelry steamer at Goodwill. I found a $105 dollar cleaner that did not work. I figured that for 10 dollars I'd take a chance. Well I got it home and lo and behold, It would not steam.

Run to the air compressor and apply same to steamer outlet. TaDa! Now my diamonds and simulants gleam with all the colors of the rainbow.

HH

Ralph

Upvote 0

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT,Sovereign xs2-pro Fisher CZ21 Custom Skullies , Stealth 720-i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The jeweler i go to she used a steam cleaner on a gold ring with a 1/2 ct diamond it came out beautiful no further cleaning necessary :thumbsup:

mumszie

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2005
Spring Hill, Florida
That is a good tip to know. I never thought about steam cleaning them. Now for a really stupid question. If steam cleaning does that good but you don't have one could you put them in a pan and boil them? Without harming the gold? It might make the diamonds sparkle but would it dull the gold? ???

wrecker

Mar 5, 2008
Germany
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Minelab Excalibur 1000
I'll keep that in mind for when I find a diamond worth cleaning.

OP
OP
Montauk3

Montauk3

Nov 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2 \ Sovereign GT BeachHunter ID
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
mumszie said:
That is a good tip to know. I never thought about steam cleaning them. Now for a really stupid question. If steam cleaning does that good but you don't have one could you put them in a pan and boil them? Without harming the gold? It might make the diamonds sparkle but would it dull the gold? ???
Mumsie,
I don't know the answer to that question. I think that part of the success is that the steamer uses pressure to help remove debris
May I suggest a Google's search and type in "gem steam cleaning" or similar.

P.S.
Not stupid!

HH

P.S.

This will get you started. http://www.pricescope.com/idealbb/view.asp?topicID=19643

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have used a whistling tea kettle and an ultra sound cleaner. Both worked well.

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
How about putting them in a coffee maker and running it through a cycle (of cource no coffee it)?? might work!!!

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT,Sovereign xs2-pro Fisher CZ21 Custom Skullies , Stealth 720-i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Chug said:
How about putting them in a coffee maker and running it through a cycle (of cource no coffee it)?? might work!!!
The steam cleaners used by jewlers are pressurized something like a pressure pot but much smaller mostly gets all the dirt out from under the diamond which is impossiable to reach it does not harm the gold .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread