🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
"The novel appearance of this coin resulted in many being saved as curiosities"...Redbook 2006

Apparently, the excitement of a new design, first year coin was more than the folks of the 40's could bear! A strong interest in coin collecting existed even back then. Probably not too many of them ever found their way into the dirt. I have yet to find one.

Jamie

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really wonder if its because of where they read on the meter. Even though they were saved, there had to be some lost. I'm really curious to see how they've held up underground.

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
Somewhere in my stash, I have one that I found. It was in with a couple of wheaties and a merc. spill so I can't say what it read. It was nothing but a rusty disc so I assume that's what it was. I'll see if I can get a pic later.

bakergeol

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2004
Colorado
Detector(s) used
GS5 X-5 GMT
I found lots of them but most were found with the old BFOs which made you dig everything back in the 60's and 70's. Probably not too many found today as you would have to dig small rusty steel targets and they do rust away. Folks have posted some remains of steel cents from time to time and they did not hold up well. I found one at a gravel pit about 15 years as I was looking for gold and digging everything. Kind of strange as only the rim was preserved- I thought that it would be the reverse.

George

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
My son found one this year. Just a rusty disc. We assume it was a steel cent from the diameter and the fact it was found with hundreds of other wheat pennies.

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d
I had to vote, "NO" I have never found one myself. My cousin "DaveDigs" did find one last summer, but I can't recall what it looked like, or if I even took a look at it.. If nobody post a picture of one for you to see I'll see if I can't get him to locate it and get a picture posted for you... You've got me curious about it now too...
Good luck, & Happy hunting~

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
I haven't found any, though I suspect I probably have left a few in the ground. Since they were zinc coated steel, and we all know what modern zinc pennies do, I can't imagine them prospering underground. With over a billion made, they're out there.

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
stoney56 said:
Somewhere in my stash, I have one that I found. It was in with a couple of wheaties and a merc. spill so I can't say what it read. It was nothing but a rusty disc so I assume that's what it was. I'll see if I can get a pic later.

Here's what I found in that hole a while back. It's identical in size to a penny but is nothing be rust and is also flaking apart in places.

Attachments

• steel cent middle.JPG
    steel cent middle.JPG
    44.8 KB · Views: 558

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
2 over the years.

Only because they were dropped with & found with another coin
in the same hole.

Rusted Steel that size shouldn't give a signal on its own
unless your in all metal & digging every signal no matter how
obvious it's tiny trash.

Mike95inNJ

Bronze Member
Nov 2, 2006
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Troy Shadow X5, Minelab Musketeer Advantage
I must say I never dug one myself. I've gotten a couple in change over the years. I have around 20 or 25 of em, just not dug. Here's the best and worse. The bad one looks like it may have been in the ground at sometime.
HH, Mike in NJ

Attachments

• steel.jpg
    steel.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 545
  • steel1.jpg
    steel1.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 525

Night Stalker

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2004
Florida
Detector(s) used
Omega 8000 & Tesoro Cortes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think they would deteriorate within 20-30 years, zinc and steel don't fair well with the elements.

I voted...................no

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
here is the one I still can find.

Attachments

• 43_Steel.jpg
    43_Steel.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 518
T

treasurejack

I've found about a dozen of them. Here's a pic of a few of them. I don't use any I.D. system because I don't trust them. Instead I listen to the tones, use a few tricks like bouncing the coil rapidly over the center of target to see if & how the signal changes. I also hunt in the all metal mode, "always!"

Attachments

• scan0036.jpg
    scan0036.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 482
OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You DUG those up?!

T

treasurejack

Mint Volumes:
1943 = 684,628,670
1943S = 191,550,000
1943D = 217,660,000

Yep, and according to the book I have there was over 1 billion 1943 steel cents minted so I suspect there's still a lot of them out there. But like I said, I almost always hunt in the all metal modes with little or no discrimination.

ddawgnd

Tenderfoot
Jan 4, 2007
I thought i might of had one of these at some time. Are they worth anythign special or just a cool thing to have?

T

treasurejack

As far as I can tell they're just another penny. Figures! lol

debistogs

Sep 29, 2006
Littlefield, Texas
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter VLF & Pioneer EX
I found a cache of 15 or so of them in an old house....but wasn't metal detecting at the time. There was also about a quart of wheaties there too.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread