steel pennies and wheaties

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
Leave the Tabasco sauce for scrambled eggs and chicken gizzards. Salt and vinagercleans wheats up real fast but takes all luster off and makes them look counterfeit. I know there's a chemical that knife collectors use to remove rust on the blades but I can't think of the name off hand.

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like to clean the coin but not change the color or scratch it. I stumbled on a product that is sold by coin dealers, MS 70. It says it is good on gold, silver,nickel, copper, bronze, and brass. I followed the instructions on a penny that I could not identify after a soap and water with tooth brush washing. After three applications out pop an 1876 IH penny. I was shocked at the detail the coin had. This product should work on wheaties. It would allow you to keep any coloring while removing any gummy dirt.

Ed

M

mchamby

Hey don't use hot peroxide or anything with tomato in it as I found it ruins whats left of the coin they look terrible!
Mchamby :-\

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Details, DigginD. What did you put in the tumbler when you cleaned them. Would like to see before and after pictures if you have them.

Keep gigging.

Ed

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have convinced me, DiggigD. A rock tumbler is on my wanted list.

Thanks,

Ed

groundfisher

Mar 27, 2005
Merrill,Wi.
For clad and common date wheats a tumbler is fine.Just don't be tumblin
any 55 double dies or 09 S VDBs.I prefer the natural patina of a dug coin.
To each their own I guess.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread