Stephen cut quarter

robfinds

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2007
Yorkshire England
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Goldmax
Still hitting the hammered coins. Had a very scarce one yesterday. It's I think a cut quarter of a king Stephen 1130-1145, variant coin. The variants are all extremely scarce and worth a lot. If you look close enough on the obverse you can see the kings hand, holding a mace, or sceptre. The other hammered coin is an Edwardian penny 14th Century, from the Bury st Edmunds mint.

Robert.

Attachments

• IMG_6267.JPG
    IMG_6267.JPG
    126.2 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_6268.JPG
    IMG_6268.JPG
    146.7 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_6269.JPG
    IMG_6269.JPG
    199.8 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_6270.JPG
    IMG_6270.JPG
    225 KB · Views: 80
Upvote 11

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
killer finds RF, you are making it look easy. Congrats.
ZDD

OP
OP
robfinds

robfinds

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2007
Yorkshire England
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Goldmax
Had the looking glass out, it may be a Watford type. Still hoping it's a Northern variant of that type. There's a nice clear letter A, at the end of the reverse legend, this is the last letter for the mint. Sent some pictures to the Fitzwilliam Museum, they should know.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's cool that you've got the museum as a resource to help you out with identifications. Another killer hunt bud. Wish it would warm up here in Maine. It's still cold as hell

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I still can't get over those hammered coins. Envy is not the half of it. I am curious, you find so many, how big is the container that you have filled up with them? Congratulations on another wonderful hunt.

OP
OP
robfinds

robfinds

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2007
Yorkshire England
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Goldmax
It's cool that you've got the museum as a resource to help you out with identifications. Another killer hunt bud. Wish it would warm up here in Maine. It's still cold as hell
It's a two way street. The coin index get's to record the coins. And we detectorist's get a free id. Everybody wins.

OP
OP
robfinds

robfinds

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2007
Yorkshire England
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Goldmax
I still can't get over those hammered coins. Envy is not the half of it. I am curious, you find so many, how big is the container that you have filled up with them? Congratulations on another wonderful hunt.
Trust me the recent hundred plus hammered coins, don't take up much space.:thumbsup:

retire05

Feb 16, 2015
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd say enjoy the sunshine, but obviously you already are. Great job on the finds!...Brad

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes that's one that keeps dodging my coil, looks like a Watford type Rob...very nice.:thumbsup:

SS

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread