Stepping out of the Shadows

MudbugLa

Tenderfoot
May 5, 2008
Louisiana
Hello Everyone,
I have ghosted the TNet board for a while now as a guest, I finally decided it was time to join and and to buy a detector.
Would appreciate any comments from fellow Louisiana residents who can suggest the best detector to start/stay with for
the gumbo soil with pitrun. Yes :D those from Louisiana know what I'm talking about!

I am reading (on the forums here) a lot of good things about the Ace 250, but then there is also the depth issue in the soil type.

Thanks for any feedback,

Mudbug

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
Welcome to Tnet!! So glad we have you here with us. You will find a LOT of great people here and I must say many of them are from your state too. Too bad you missed the Louisiana Bayou Hunt! It was pretty incredible! You will surely hear from folks soon but I wanted to stop in and welcome you! :thumbsup:

OP
OP
MudbugLa

MudbugLa

Tenderfoot
May 5, 2008
Louisiana
Thanks Cynangyl,

From what I have seen so far while ghosting/guesting looks like one big happy family overall.

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
That it is....like any family there are times a couple will get caught sticking their tongues out at each other :tongue3: and making various faces >:( :tard: but for the most part I have been incredibly impressed. lol I am sure you will love it here!

ZenAgain

Nov 2, 2007
Fort Polk LA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Land Star, White's DFX, Bullseye 2
Welcome to Tnet! :) Whereabouts are you? I'm sure there will be other Tnetters near to hunt with.

Tensas

Sep 23, 2007
Waterproof, LA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro, Tejon
I use a Tesoro, Tejon and this Louisiana gumbo does not give it any problem, depth is not a problem either. I also have a Tesoro, Cebola. It doesn't have the depth the Tejon has but it's light and does just about every thing the Tejon does except for depth and add the small coil and hit the play grounds and their both great.
And by the way welcome to T-net. I'm in east central Louisiana and know all about gumbo I farmed it for 30 yrs.

Welcome
Ronnie

La Beep

Feb 15, 2008
NE Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum, XLT Fisher's CZ5 Garretts GTA 1000
MudbugLa said:
Would appreciate any comments from fellow Louisiana residents who can suggest the best detector to start/stay with for the gumbo soil with pitrun.

Questions first.
1. Have you detected before?
2. How much would be your spending limit? (Detector, Good head phones, and Digging tools. Better equipment make it more enjoyable to start.)
3. How much time will you be able to devote to this hobby?
4. Any health issues?
5. Any age issues?
6. Are you married? (Your spouse may or may not get involved. But it may be combined with something your spouse likes to do. ie.. Picknicing)
7. What type of detecting do you think you would like to do?
8. Anybody to detect with? (Helps with the learning curve and adds motivation/competition.)
9. Do you like fishing? Do it often?(Interesting fact most metal detectorist love to fish.)

Once these are answered a better answer can be given as to what you should buy. The Ace 250 should be a min. detector you should buy. A lot of people swear by it. I would recomend you buy the best detector you can afford. Like I said before a good set of headphones and a Good digging tool will help you enjoy the hobby from the start.
Ward -=La Beep=-

OP
OP
MudbugLa

MudbugLa

Tenderfoot
May 5, 2008
Louisiana
Thanks Everyone for the feedback. I thought it over, talked with some other folks, made some calls, did some research, finally decided to go ahead and invest now instead of investing twice later. I received my DFX today and posted on todays finds the first fruits of labor.
Hardest part today was keeping the clay off the lesche, has anyone tried spraying a digging tool with cooking spray before digging ?? LOL had to ask.

Central La here by the way.

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WelcomeSign2.gif Great to have you with us! I know what you mean about that clay/mud sticking...it's worst when it's stuck to your shoes/boots. ;D Are you located in central LA or the town of Central?

:wink: RR

Attachments

• WelcomeSign2.gif
    WelcomeSign2.gif
    3.1 KB · Views: 164

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread