STERLING "Be Prepared" Boy Scouts Ring found - Need help with year?

fivepointohhh

Tenderfoot
Jun 17, 2013
New Jersey
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dug this up in my parents backyard in central, NJ last weekend....I know it's a Boy Scouts ring that said "Be Prepared" on the front. Any idea what year this exact ring is from? I'd love to read up on the history behind it.....Thanks.

photo 3.JPG photo 4.JPG photo 2.JPG photo 1.JPG

JunkShopFiddler

Bronze Member
Feb 15, 2013
SW Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTP 1350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow Mr. 5.0, that ring is a 10.0 in my book. Ornate silver is my favorite! I will sell gold, but that ring would sit on my "keeper shelf" forever!...I want one now.

Upvote 0

JunkShopFiddler

Bronze Member
Feb 15, 2013
SW Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTP 1350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I checked out the ring posted on the EBAY link that was kindly provided by DCmatt and I think that ring is 60's or 70's...but yours really does look older to me. It seems to originate from the same era of aesthetic design as the Mercury Dimes and Walking Liberty Half Dollars...But then what the heck do I know about aesthetic design? ("Mongol only pawn in game of life")...Seriously, I think it looks 1940s or older, let us know what you find out!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
F

fivepointohhh

Tenderfoot
Jun 17, 2013
New Jersey
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Vintage Boy Scout Sterling Silver MK'D Ring "Be Prepared" Rope Knots on Sides | eBay

Here's one listed as "vintage". To me that means 1960's or 70's.

DCMatt

Thanks Matt. I also found links on Etsy of similar ring sales but nothing in the description about the year. I am still trying to find more info.

Wow Mr. 5.0, that ring is a 10.0 in my book. Ornate silver is my favorite! I will sell gold, but that ring would sit on my "keeper shelf" forever!...I want one now.

I have already worn the ring I love it. I definitely want to dig up more vintage jewelry ASAP!

I checked out the ring posted on the EBAY link that was kindly provided by DCmatt and I think that ring is 60's or 70's...but yours really does look older to me. It seems to originate from the same era of aesthetic design as the Mercury Dimes and Walking Liberty Half Dollars...But then what the heck do I know about aesthetic design? ("Mongol only pawn in game of life")...Seriously, I think it looks 1940s or older, let us know what you find out!

Thanks for the info! I also found a rusted toy gun grown between a huge tree root in the same area of the yard. I wish it was in better shape but for my first dig I was excited to find these both! Anyone want to help identifying the toy gun? I believe it was a German toy, as it had engravings of some letters on the other side but I forget what it said. I'll have to look it over once more.

finds.jpg

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread