The_Piratess

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2017
Ghost Ship
Detector(s) used
Whites Beach Hunter ID, so far...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a beautiful and finely crafted piece!!! It is definitely from Great Britain. All of the information that you are looking for is tied to that Maker's Mark which a close-up picture of that would help as it cannot be seen clearly enough. You are also lucky that it includes the numbers and letter for the piece for even further information on it which also more than likely means that there are other matching pieces in the set.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's hard to see the mark but to me it looks like a Whiting Manufacturers mark. If it were an English mark it would have a series of marks next to a lion rampant signifying the date made and town it was made in and possibly the maker also.
American Silver Marks - Icons ~ Online Encyclopedia of Silver Marks, Hallmarks & Makers' Marks

To put a price I would ask how much it weighs first. I would guess it's somewhere around 20 troy ounces? It's a beautiful piece. Here is a larger (?) but similar by the same maker that sold at Skinners last year...

https://www.skinnerinc.com/auctions/2888B/lots/87A

OP
OP
R

Regal4160

Tenderfoot
Aug 3, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Makers Mark

Researching this Sterling Repose Pitcher. Would like to know where it was made and approximate date, as well as value. On the bottom it's marked STERLING 1225 U 4 PINTS with a Lion marking. Any help would be appreciated. We assume it was purchased overseas while traveling in the 20's.
Thanks

Thanks for the info. I added a few close up shots, including the Makers Mark with date scratched in 7/5/38. I would greatly appreciate if you could give me an idea of the value or point me in the right direction. Would like to sell it.

Attachments

• Makers Mark 7.5.38.jpg
    Makers Mark 7.5.38.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 93
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 63
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 82
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 71
OP
OP
R

Regal4160

Tenderfoot
Aug 3, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you. This one looks almost identical to me. I'll weight and get back to you.
Many thanks!

OP
OP
R

Regal4160

Tenderfoot
Aug 3, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you. This one looks almost identical to me. I'll weight and get back to you.
Many thanks!

The Repose Sterling Pitcher weighs in at 100.44271 Troy ounces. Please let me know your thoughts after you take a look at the Maker's Mark image I posted.
Thanks

OP
OP
R

Regal4160

Tenderfoot
Aug 3, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My mistake on weight

The Repose Sterling Pitcher weighs in at 100.44271 Troy ounces. Please let me know your thoughts after you take a look at the Maker's Mark image I posted.
Thanks

It's actually 24.15 ounce Troy (read the scale wrong)

The_Piratess

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2017
Ghost Ship
Detector(s) used
Whites Beach Hunter ID, so far...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's worth about $360 some odd dollars in melt value. Being a repousse pitcher made by Whiting Manufacturers (Gorham), I wouldn't sell it for any less than $700-$750 myself. It is a true antique as explained below.

I'm unsure of that scratch mark on the bottom. I does not it relates to the actual age of the piece. Whiting was totally absorbed into Gorham by around 1925-26. This piece predates that. I found the same pitcher (1225) with a different pattern letter "Y" instead of "U". They date it to 1883 or later based on the 1225 production number. The letter Y on the pitcher in the link I provided tell you that there are at least 25 different patterns made using this 1225 pitcher. You can read all about it and the dating/numbering system they used here...
The Japanesque silver of the Whiting Manufacturing Company | The Magazine Antiques
Most of the info you seek is towards the bottom of the page.

OP
OP
R

Regal4160

Tenderfoot
Aug 3, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you so much. This is very helpful.

Itsmine

Apr 14, 2012
New Lenox, Il.
Detector(s) used
Garrets Coin Comander 3
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Beautiful pitcher. I would get it appraised. American Silver commands premium prices.....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread