Sterling ring and some other odds & ends.

BladeRunner2019

Dec 22, 2013
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Found these last week. Lead drapery weight and I think the dinosaur may also be made of lead.

This weekend I went to a couple of empty DOT owned lots and hoped I would find some silver. This one here fooled me. Serves me right for taking the pic before I knew what it was. :sadsmiley:

Turned out to be this...

11 wheat pennies. A plumb bob and a tag of some sort.

While I didn't find any silver coins at the DOT lots I did find this sterling ring. The mark is strange. It's got STER then a rectangle with something in it and then LING. :dontknow:

Thanks for looking.

Upvote 5

Subterranean

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2012
Southwest Missouri
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro (Julio), Garrett AT Max (Medusa), Garrett Pro Pointer, White's Prism V, Lesche Digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds, congratulations! You might research your lead/tin Brontosaurus to see if it was a Sinclair Gasoline premium (giveaway.) That sterling ring is awesome! Sub8-)

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
NIce sterling, has some age to it...!! Many times I will get targets that fool these old eyes...the always see the best, until....

deershed

Silver Member
Apr 25, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Whites Coin Master Pro, Bounty Hunter Lonestar, Minelab CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet ring!! I think I'd rather that ring over a silver coin.

Love that old dog tag too, Great hunt!!

Subterranean

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2012
Southwest Missouri
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro (Julio), Garrett AT Max (Medusa), Garrett Pro Pointer, White's Prism V, Lesche Digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the hallmark on your ring is, "Ster (IKEDA) Ling" There are a few Ikeda jewelers on line and you might be able to research it. Good Luck, Sub 8-)

OP
OP
BladeRunner2019

BladeRunner2019

Dec 22, 2013
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think the hallmark on your ring is, "Ster (IKEDA) Ling" There are a few Ikeda jewelers on line and you might be able to research it. Good Luck, Sub 8-)

Thank you! I had no idea what it read. I'll check them out.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
The dinosaur is killer! But I don't think it is Sinclair related, I can not find it on the net. The ring is nice too. You did well this weekend. I guess that you are taking time off from finding silver coins... after last week's Franklin!

Is "plumb bob" code for fishing weight?

GL&HH.

frostdigger

Jan 1, 2013
Col. Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
Garrett 1350, Garrett AT pro, Garrett AT gold, Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find, congrats on the silver ring. That dinosaur is pretty dang cool.

OP
OP
BladeRunner2019

BladeRunner2019

Dec 22, 2013
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Is "plumb bob" code for fishing weight?

GL&HH.

Found in a field, it's a plumb bob. Found at the beach it's a fishing weight. :laughing7:

Your right though. A fishing weight is probably it's original intended use. But being the craftsman/expert DIY guy I am, my mind automatically assumed it was a tool. :hardhat:

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Found in a field, it's a plumb bob. Found at the beach it's a fishing weight. :laughing7:

Your right though. A fishing weight is probably it's original intended use. But being the craftsman/expert DIY guy I am, my mind automatically assumed it was a tool. :hardhat:

Whew... I thought that I was missing something.

OP
OP
BladeRunner2019

BladeRunner2019

Dec 22, 2013
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wanted to add a little more to this thread that I forgot to include in the original post. I had 2 nice encounters with people while hunting the DOT lots.

I was going about my business when I noticed an elderly gentleman walking up the driveway towards me so I stopped and went to greet him. He asked me if I was having any luck and we chatted about 10 minutes. He is 90 years old and built his house 60 years ago that is across the street from the empty lots. He even pointed me to another DOT lot and said there used to be an old house there. VERY nice old fella.

The second encounter was a 20 something guy that grew up about a 1/2 mile from there. He told me the DOT lot goes WAY back in the woods and there are some 1800's home sites in there. He tried to explain how to get there, but he was giving me a lot of info so I don't know if I would be able to find them or not. He also said there is a mansion (not on state property) that was owned by Bowman Gray. (Former RJ Reynolds Tobacco president.) The mansion is still maintained but I don't know if anybody actually lives in it.

He told me that he and his brother had tried to detect some of the areas but they didn't know what they were doing and only found nails and junk.

I might have to throw a backpack on one day and go for hike in the woods and see what I can find. :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread