Sterling silver collector spoons

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I picked up these yesterday for $20. For six of them. The lady wanted five dollars apiece but she thought silver was $30 an oz. I told her that it was $16 an ounce maybe 15 and I will give her $20 for all of the spoons. I figured they weren't much over scrap value. But some of them look like they go way over spot. This first one I'm not sure what's on the top of it I haven't tried to figure out the marking yet. is it an angel playing a banjo I don't know?

image-3519272662.jpg

But here are some pictures of the ones I picked up and there's two that seem to be really collectible I guess.

image-2401123179.jpg

image-1745865570.jpg

This next one is New York subway. There's two online one for $270 and one for $170. But they have different pictures. I'd be happy with $50 but maybe it's worth more than that...

image-2438081894.jpg

image-2255601742.jpg

And then this one seems to be pretty good as well. Holyoke Mount Tom Massachusetts? I've never heard of it..

image-3097391537.jpg

image-3484194206.jpg

image-2562472562.jpg

And then also really quick and antique dealer where I live got me started to use this polish. And I must say it works pretty well, hagerty 100.

image-838168166.jpg

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Souvenir spoons can be all over in pricing. I've picked them up over the years if the price is right. It seems the local interest if the driving factor in the price of them. I had one for Baraboo, Wisconsin sell for close to 80 bucks once and another for Telluride, Colorado did well also.

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Souvenir spoons can be all over in pricing. I've picked them up over the years if the price is right. It seems the local interest if the driving factor in the price of them. I had one for Baraboo, Wisconsin sell for close to 80 bucks once and another for Telluride, Colorado did well also.

Wow! Nice return on a spoon!

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good deal on the spoons. I love the Savannah one. Very unusual.

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good deal on the spoons. I love the Savannah one. Very unusual.

I thought it had a name on it instead of the actual city of Savannah. When the lady saw it she said well that has a name on it that makes it worth more. I said no it doesn't! Then I polished it and read it as Savannah Georgia instead of somebody's name! Oops.

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just do a highest price sales search on ebay for souvenir spoons. There are some to keep an eye out for.

Wow!! Wow! Well I will definitely be picking these up more often. Especially if they have Indians on them!

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow!! Wow! Well I will definitely be picking these up more often. Especially if they have Indians on them!
I find most of them in antique malls and shops. I also hit the silver and gold buyers to see whats come in. They'll want like 5 times the scrap value, but heck the spoon could be worth 200 times scrap value. I hit one coin shop and that guy could care less about collectability of the silver items. He just buys for bullion value and gets a return. He does put the nicer looking jewelry and small silver items in the cases for resale. I've found some real money makers in his stuff.

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I find most of them in antique malls and shops. I also hit the silver and gold buyers to see whats come in. They'll want like 5 times the scrap value, but heck the spoon could be worth 200 times scrap value. I hit one coin shop and that guy could care less about collectability of the silver items. He just buys for bullion value and gets a return. He does put the nicer looking jewelry and small silver items in the cases for resale. I've found some real money makers in his stuff.

I believe it. When they buy for scrap, that is burned in their heads a lot of the time. It's only scrap. I have not checked very often The cash for gold stores or pawnshops. But will maybe have to do that when I get some spare time. Thanks!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread