Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GrayCloud said:
If it is marked Sterling, is it 100% Silver or could it be coated? What do I need to look for? My silver coins need some company.

If it is marked sterling or 925 it is 92.5% silver

The only 100% silver that I can think of are called "silver rounds" and then they are marked 999 fine (.999% pure)

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
.925 or Sterling is still a good deal to find at garage sales just for the rarity now days as most younger married now don't buy it for serving company and it doesn't go good with the chips and beer. :laughing7:

RevJoel

Mar 1, 2006
Central SC
Detector(s) used
Old Garrett Deep Seeker
Sandman,

I purchase 100% silver wire in gauges 24 to 16 to use making colloidal silver.

Pax Christi
Rev. Joel+

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
cyberdan said:
GrayCloud said:
If it is marked Sterling, is it 100% Silver or could it be coated? What do I need to look for? My silver coins need some company.

If it is marked sterling or 925 it is 92.5% silver

The only 100% silver that I can think of are called "silver rounds" and then they are marked 999 fine (.999% pure)
alot of people forget about this one... If marked 950 it's 95% silver

billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RevJoel said:
Sandman,

I purchase 100% silver wire in gauges 24 to 16 to use making colloidal silver.

Pax Christi
Rev. Joel+

Now, that's real interesting!! How DO you make colloidal silver?

Bill

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
creeper71 said:
Don't understand what your post is suppose to mean...
It looked like you didn't know coins were made of silver.

and basically I said Yes, they were a long time ago.

batcap

Jun 22, 2010
Baltimore MD
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
I think original poster Graycloud's question is: "Can sterling silver not be silver though and through?"

To that the answer is a qualified yes. If it only says "sterling" or "925" or even "900" or "800" then the object is solid silver of the named purity (unless counterfeit). However if there other qualifying words or initials you should find out what they mean before you risk anything. Some qualifiers might include "E.P." or "weighted".
"E.P." means worthless for scrap silver, and "Weighted" means you cannot count on the weight of the object to determine the value of the silver (1/10th at very best, and I've never had it that good).

Regarding colloidial silver, go easy on that stuff! Yes silver is antibiotic, but you may not want do overdo it. See here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argyria It better be saving my life if I'm going to end up looking like that!

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello, :hello:

Sterling Silver is the same as (.925) it is 92.5% Pure Silver. :icon_thumleft: :headbang:

Keep @ it and HH !! :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread