Steve Fossets Vanishing Act

Roadquest

Bronze Member
Oct 13, 2005
C.R. HKt.B Sometimes there's not a right way, or
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Steve Fosset's Vanishing Act

Steve Fosset is a wealthy man that has choosing a life of adventure. Mel Fisher, was
a dedicated, man that work hard, and earned respect, his adventures brought him wealth.
I see nothing wrong with a wealthy person using their own money, to seek out an exciting life.

That being said, I think Fosset had his own personal reason to need to "vanish". Where ever his is at.
I feel sure he is very much alive. With the amount of searching activities that was put out to find his
plane, if it was out there crashed somewhere, someone would have found it by now.

Maybe when he feels secure in the place he is staying. He will let the world know he is alive.
Being the adventurer that he is, he will want people to know he was able to pull this off.

Roadquest

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Steve Fossett's Belongings Possibly Found in California Forest
Wednesday, October 01, 2008

E-Mail Print Share:

AP

Steve Fossett
Some of lost air adventurer Steve Fossett's personal belongings may have been found in the California woods not far from the Nevada state line, prompting a new search, FOX News has learned.

A local ski shop owner, hiking near his home in Mammoth Lakes, Calif., stumbled across what appear to be two cards with Fossett's name on them that were issued by the Federal Aviation Administration in Illinois.

The man also found a small amount of cash and a sweat jacket and brought the items back to his wife, a fire captain, Mammoth Lakes Police Chief Randy Schienle told FOX News.

Officers were interviewing the couple about the find, but early reports suggest the cards are authentic, sources said.

The papers were tattered and crumpled on the ground; the weather-worn jacket was nearby.

The hikers didn't find any signs of the light plane Fossett, 63, was flying when he disappeared last September, but aviation experts said that doesn't mean the items are bogus.

Wednesday's discovery prompted authorities to assemble a new search team to comb the area, Schienle told FOX.

Fossett was the first person to ride the jet stream around the world in a balloon. He climbed some of the world's tallest and toughest mountains, sailed and set a number of world records.

He was declared legally dead in February.

In August, an attorney for Fossett's widow pleaded for an end to speculation circulating on the Internet that the millionaire balloonist and air adventurer may have faked his own death, possibly because he was heavily in debt.

Fossett, who made a fortune trading futures and options on Chicago markets, took off from a private airstrip in Nevada last September on a solo flight in a light plane.

He never returned, and searchers have found no trace of the plane.

Authorities said it was probable that it went down in rugged country, and that finding wreckage would be hard.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

so that's where he Threw them out the Plane

Before Swinging around & heading to the Bahamas ;D

Zephyr

Nov 26, 2006

nah, he survived the plane crash and got eaten by a bear afterwards.... :wink:

Urban Prospector

Feb 21, 2007
N OC CA
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,Compass 94B & 77B

BREACKING NEWS-------------
Steve Fossets DNA found in Bear Scat.

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Someone (a sheriff, I think) just said that they found his plane wreckage, no body, but his wreckage, and said it was verified that it was his plane. They said the wreck was so bad, they might not be able to find the body.

They did find his i.d. and a few thousand dollars and a jacket.

But - maybe he did get out, since his jacket was found a ways away?????

B

Zephyr

Nov 26, 2006

Apparently they found enough of him for DNA purposes. At least this case can be closed now, putting an end to a modern "Amelia Earhart" mystery. R.I.P. Steve....

(If there's any lesson to be learned here, it's that it's not a good idea to go mountain climbing using an airplane....) <everybody groans>

Bridge End Farm

Gold Member
Dec 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Library

He died on impact with the plane slamming into the mountain side

Ones not familiar with aircraft wrecks would be amazed at how little is left, especially ones made of fabric like his was that day. Same applies for the human body too I have recovered folks from plane crashes where it takes a very strong stomach for what you get and bag.

What happen to the plane will take months to figure out if it was a mechanical failure. But if it was a mechanical failure they will figure it out. If it was he accidently got caught in a down draft and wasn't able to pull it out well they will be able to know that too by the force the engine had on it at impact.

This was a fine man, I did not know him personally but did get the pleasure of shaking his hand once. Most importantly his family and friends have peace and closure on his life now.

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar

Bridge End Farm said:
He died on impact with the plane slamming into the mountain side

Ones not familiar with aircraft wrecks would be amazed at how little is left, especially ones made of fabric like his was that day. Same applies for the human body too I have recovered folks from plane crashes where it takes a very strong stomach for what you get and bag.

What happen to the plane will take months to figure out if it was a mechanical failure. But if it was a mechanical failure they will figure it out. If it was he accidently got caught in a down draft and wasn't able to pull it out well they will be able to know that too by the force the engine had on it at impact.

This was a fine man, I did not know him personally but did get the pleasure of shaking his hand once. Most importantly his family and friends have peace and closure on his life now.
Amen.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread