Still Plugging Away....Interesting carved Merc!

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils
Hello Everyone,

Hope everyone has been having a good December and not stressing out too much with holiday shopping, relatives, etc. This is probably the slowest detecting month this whole year for me. Our recent rain, trip to Vegas, and typical holiday priorities have held my detecting time down to a minimum. I did manage a couple of short hunts this week, and made some interesting finds. First, is a carved merc dime. Looks like someone was trying to make a piece of jewelry out of it. Very interesting. The other is a cool little sterling bird pendant, which was found next to a couple of 20's wheaties. The stone in the middle looks like torquoise. All these finds came from a couple of parks I've pounded this year. There always seems to be a little more for me.

I'm not sure if I'll make my 3000 wheatie milestone. Under 10 days to go.

Thanks for looking.
Seasons Greetings,
CAPTN SE
Dan

Attachments

• IMG_2249 (1024 x 768).jpg
    IMG_2249 (1024 x 768).jpg
    118 KB · Views: 807
  • merc_jewelry (850 x 429).jpg
    merc_jewelry (850 x 429).jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 800
  • bird_RecPark.JPG
    bird_RecPark.JPG
    51.1 KB · Views: 794
Upvote 0

kieser sousa/rip

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
upstate N.Y.
Detector(s) used
Fisher cz-20/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds,I seem to remember seeing add's for coins that were carved like yours.I think it was a kit that you could buy to make your own.

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the carved Merc Dan. Very interesting find......and it counts as a silver too. ;D

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dan,
Even hunted out, and you still bring home the bacon silver. That carved Merc is the bomb! Very nice find.
Congrats on the silver and jewelry too.
Happy holidays.
Any snow in Calif yet? ;)
-Doug-

OP
OP
Captn SE

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils
Hey, Thanks guys... ;)

LarsMed....Los Angeles, CA

Doug, yes there's snow in the Mountains over here. A lot of happy skiers/snowboarders.

HH,
Dan
CAPTN SE

Jack(IN)

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2007
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS-2, Garrett Ace 250
Amazing totals, not the most silver I've seen dug, Mike Moultry had at least one 700+ year. But congrats on a super year again, you don't just take a stroll thru 640+ silver coins and an amazing total of wheat cents. I sure hope you hit 3000 wheats and maybe 675 silver coins!! I am sooooo impressed by those totals!!

OP
OP
Captn SE

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Thanks, Jack. Appreciate your response. You're right...I worked hard at it this year...pounded the park turf (over 55 parks this year). Never knew there was still this much silver/wheats in our park systems in my area. I thought they were heavily depleted in the 80's-90's, but I found that many deep and masked silver was still to be had.

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

Jack(IN) said:
Amazing totals, not the most silver I've seen dug, Mike Moultry had at least one 700+ year. But congrats on a super year again, you don't just take a stroll thru 640+ silver coins and an amazing total of wheat cents. I sure hope you hit 3000 wheats and maybe 675 silver coins!! I am sooooo impressed by those totals!!

rebelLT

Feb 26, 2007
SE Kansas
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE PRO, XLT, Teknetics Omega
I love that merc. I found the bracelet that goes with you bird the other day. Keep digging captn.

Attachments

• 121407 002.jpg
    121407 002.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 714
  • 121407 002.jpg
    121407 002.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 717
OP
OP
Captn SE

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Hey, Rebel.....that's very cool. What a coincidence. ::)

Is the ground frozen in your area now, or are you stil "plugging away"?

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
rebelLT said:
I love that merc. I found the bracelet that goes with you bird the other day. Keep digging captn.

I knew I had saw that same bird earlier somewhere. Very cool.
-MM-

Natman

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2007
Hazelwood, MO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm II, White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
WTG Captn, that Merc is very cool! Congrats on all your finds this year, you worked hard for them.

Nat

rebelLT

Feb 26, 2007
SE Kansas
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE PRO, XLT, Teknetics Omega
Cptn...Grounds not frozen, though its raining again. The ground here is a mud bog! And it is COLD!

silverfreak

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorers and E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That carved merc is cool Dan. Good to see you're still plugging away. I got out for an hour and a half today for the first time since Thanksgiving night. In that short time I did manage the perfect "fix" hunt. I only dug 6 targets at my beat to death site...and all 6 were keepers. I plucked out a 1919D Merc...four Wheaties and a 1903 injun. I couldn't have asked for a better 90 minute hunt. I don't know if I will even mess with posting the stuff...but I might. The 1919D is the first one of those I've ever found. I almost loaded my britches when I saw the D on back cause I didn't have my glasses on and would have sworn it was a 1916 I saw on front :'(...oh well it;s still a nice dig even though it's well worn. :)

OP
OP
Captn SE

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Thanks, Doug and Nat!!

Thanks, Bryce. Hey, if you have the time, definitely post those goodies....I'm sure more than a few would be happy to see us still "plugging away" in Dec. I wish I could have seen the look on your face when you saw the "D" mintmark... :o

HH,
Dan
CAPTN SE

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That Merc is cool. I wonder how it was hung, no hole or loop. I guess it may have just been a lucky pocket thingy?

I have a old penny where they have cut around the head of the King. Its just a head no openwork design. Bored worksmen?

OP
OP
Captn SE

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
CRUSADER said:
That Merc is cool. I wonder how it was hung, no hole or loop. I guess it may have just been a lucky pocket thingy?

Actually, Crusader, there was a bezel around it that had broken off when I recovered the merc. It was all rusted out, so maybe it was a pendant for a necklace.

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan
What a great collection of goodies buddy, love that decorative Merc and the ring, congrats!

Have a great Christmas my friend!

BDoo :)

Colonial Zoyboy

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2006
PA
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000
Yo, Dan, you are still chugging away in a professional manner. Man, as I have said many times before, you are due for 650 very soon. Keep up the great digging, and I hope you have a great holiday season.

BDD...KylePA

P.S. As of this metal detecting moment, KirkPA just gave me a piece of paper that said, "Zoy, he is frickin' unbelievable. Zoy, tell my good bud from SoCal that I will be responding later tonight."

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread