Still producing

jeric2

May 29, 2003
Eastern Shore, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
I've been hunting a property now for a while (197 acres). It had 60 slaves at one point, but the quarters are no longer standing. Trying to find exact location of that.
Today, I hunted in front of the house for the first time. I've been spending the majority of my time surveying the area to see if I could find the slave quarters.
Came out with 12 wheaties, a 1919 Mercury Dime, 1943 silver nickel and a colonial copper that I can't read the date on yet. I will post pics when I get a chance.
I had a question that I was hoping to get some input on. The colonial I found was close to a tree and I had to work hard to get thru all the roots of the tree to get it. Took about 20 minutes to dig a small 4" diameter hole by about 5 inches deep.
There is another signal there on the other side of the tree, again below a thick root. This one is more difficult to get to. Any suggestions? I tried to dig around and go in from the side, but there are just too many roots. Thanks.

Upvote 0

texan connection

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2006
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minlabe SE, ace 250, fisher 1280x
Get a pinpointer to stab at it till you get a exact location, has helped me in roots many times.

OP
OP
jeric2

jeric2

May 29, 2003
Eastern Shore, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
no, I don't think I can employ that method. This is right under a root that's about 3" in diameter. The coin itself is around 6 to 6 1/2 inches.

MalteseFalcon

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2005
As for finding the slave quarters, I have two suggestions.

1. Check out old Geodetic Survey Maps.

2. Try out some of the websites that offer satellite imagery. You can sometimes get images that are pretty high resolution, and you sometimes can see indications of old foundations, etc. that you could not see standing right there in front of it.

OP
OP
jeric2

jeric2

May 29, 2003
Eastern Shore, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
thanks, I've tried the satellite programs, but couldn't see anything. It's a farmed field now and has been plowed over and over. I'll keep trying. Have a better idea now than when I first started. Would help me if they plowed it again now that I can get on the property right after they do.

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Guess all I can say is if I dug a colonial I'd do everything I could to get at that signal on the other side of that tree. I sure wouldn't just leave it there. ;D

Let us know what you find.

Badger

OP
OP
jeric2

jeric2

May 29, 2003
Eastern Shore, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
haha, yeah, I know. But I was exhausted from digging all day long and wasn't about to spend another hour digging one hole when I knew I could come back anytime. It'll be there when I get back.

Getty

Bronze Member
May 1, 2005
Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great job jeric!! Sounds like a terrific spot.Good luck with the rest.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions