🥇 BANNER Still Shaking! Found a few Morgan Silver Dollars

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Got into the woods here in White Plains, looking for an old school house from the 1905 - 1920 era, that was supposed to have been built on top of an older school from the 1800s. I had been out for about an hour before it started raining a bit of ice/sleet, when I got a deep bouncing 34, 36, 37, in Artifact mode. Honestly I almost didn't dig it because I guessed it was big, deep, iron, but I was getting ready to call it a day and hadn't filmed a dig yet. Glad I Dug It! I made an appointment to see a coin guy in Greenwich, tomorrow so I can get them appraised. I am super stoked!!!!:headbang::hello2:

Upvote 194

Underwonder

Bronze Member
Jul 31, 2017
RI
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT Spectrum, TRX Pin-pointer, Garrett AT Pro Pin-pointer, Eagle II SL with Bigfoot, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Oh, Terry...Thank you for taking us along on your hunt with the live fantastic find of a lifetime! I’m excited for you. Congratulations on the find and the quick banner!

P.S. I see you attained a well deserved Banner already...Does it help at all to join in and add banner votes after the fact? I will if it does anything for you! Again...super congrats and your post was a great way to start the day! I don’t even need coffee!

Last edited:

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent find Terry ! Congrats. I'd nominate it for banner, but you already have the banner. You panned your camera kind of quickly when you were at home, but I think I saw an 1889 in there. Check the back for the mint mark, if it has a CC, you are really in business. That is a tough date Morgan worth a hefty price.

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
Amazing, absolutely amazing! That was a quick banner, too, as it should be. Thank you for taking us along on your hunt. I agree your excitement rings out in the video and it is rather contagious. Congratulations on the find of a lifetime and the banner!

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Tremendous! The "ching" of old silver in your hand....Grasping another time that was lost or placed out of sight so long....
That is going to inspire some furious detecting now!
Congrats!

OP
OP
Terry Soloman

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just got back from Connecticut, where I had the coins appraised for "Insurance" value. The bulk of the cache is New Orleans, and Philadelphia minted, with a few San Francisco. The appraiser took a lot of time with each coin, and explained how grading worked, and what it costs. He was horrified when I showed him the video of me finding them, and told me with all that shaking and rubbing them around, I probably caused a couple thousand dollars in damage to the coins. I kinda looked at Jim and smiled, shrugged my shoulders and told him I was still one very happy camper!

So the majority of the coins are worth $75-$90, and I am having four coins professionally cleaned and graded. They are 1896-O; 1895-O; 1893-O; 1892-S.

I want to seriously thank each and every one of you that voted for my Banner! I grew up gold prospecting with my Dad in the Bradshaw Mountains of Arizona, riding the Jack Swilling trail from Lake Pleasant, up toward Prescott. This find brought the feeling of scoring my first gold nugget, near Cow Creek, in 1964, back to my heart and mind! Like that first nugget, I'm going to keep most of these and put them in a shadow box.

You, the members of this forum, have inspired me since the day I joined. The collective knowledge on Treasurenet.com is like being able to access the ancient library of Alexandria, for treasure hunters! Thank you all again most sincerely! - Terry:notworthy:

P.S. Jim, the appraiser, explained there was a huge bank crash between 1907, and 1910 (The 1907 Panic), and many people kept the savings at home, or buried in their gardens. Apparently, this is not the first cache found in the area.

Last edited:

dts52

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2015
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox800 / AT Pro / AT Gold / Makro Racer
Vibra-probe / TRX pp
Primary Interest:
Other
Congratulations on an incredible recovery! Well deserved my friend.
dts

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Jim, the appraiser, explained there was a huge bank crash between 1907, and 1910 (The 1907 Panic), and many people kept the savings at home, or buried in their gardens. Apparently, this is not the first cache found in the area.

Great find and interesting stuff! The Panic of 1907 and The Great Depression lead to the establishment of the US Federal Reserve and Federal Deposit Insurance (FDIC).

The Panic of 1907 took place over one hundred years ago, before the establishment of the Federal Reserve System, the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation, or the Securities and Exchange Commission -- institutions designed to bring stability to banking and financial markets. Before these institutions, the National Banking Acts provided the regulatory structure guiding the day-to-day behavior of banks, particularly the largest and most interconnected ones. During a panic, however, the acts provided little guidance to bankers coping with large-scale withdrawals of deposits. The private New York Clearing House provided a structure for addressing crisis events, and it imposed rules and standards on member bank behaviors to discipline members and maintain sound practices. Modern regulatory institutions have supplanted this role. The era before 1914 is a fertile ground for researchers interested in the underlying causes of systemic effects like panics because the behavior of key market participants was less affected by potential actions of government regulators.18 Research focusing on this earlier period, therefore, can provide insight into where financial crises are likely to occur and policies to alleviate them -- or better yet, avert them.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your windfall and the Banner. I wonder how they planned to come back and retrieve that cache since it doesn't look like there were any visible "landmarks" such as rocks, fenceposts, large trees, etc. I take it this isn't your first silver dollar find (still looking for one myself).

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

vpone

Bronze Member
May 1, 2007
central pa
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, 11" & 15" coils
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
wow incredible find & congratulations on the banner- well deserved!

vp

vpone

Bronze Member
May 1, 2007
central pa
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, 11" & 15" coils
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
love the video btw - really captures the moment we all strive for !!

vp

Pick_axe

May 3, 2015
Columbus NM
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Minelab Excalibur 1000,
Minelab Equinox 800
Garrett AT Gold
Garrett GTI 2500
Primary Interest: