STING RAY & MAN-OF-WAR SEASON IS RAPIDLY APPROCHING!!!!

deepsix47

Jul 26, 2006
Detector(s) used
Fisher Impulse, Fisher CZ-21, Minelab X-Terra 70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
STING RAY & MAN-OF-WAR SEASON IS RAPIDLY APPROCHING!!!!

Each year the warm waters of the gulf brings with it the Sting Rays spawning season. They move in close to shore and painful hits are almost a daily occurrence along the beaches.

Your best defence against these creatures is to always remember to shuffle your feet. If you step on one you will most likely be hit. If you bump one it will in all likelyhood merely move away (but not always). By shuffling your feet the Ray will also be alerted to your presence and once again move away should you get to close.

A good pair of polarised sun glasses can sometimes be useful in spotting larger Ray's despite the fact that they lay on the bottom and allow sand to cover them (their outline can often be seen) but for the small ones (and if you don't know what you are looking for) even these are virtually useless. Shuffling your feet and/or just staying out of the water is really your only defence.

The tragic death of famed Croc Hunter Steve Erwin brought Sting Rays into the news and somehow seems to have made monsters out of them. This really isn't the case and for the most part they are very docile creatures. They can and do however deliver a very painful sting that will more often then not require a trip to a hospitals emergency room.

I've dealt with Sting Rays throughout my life and until the Croc Hunter was killed had never heard of a death resulting from their hit. Very rarely have I ever seen a really large Ray in the surf line. They usually hang around off shore a bit in from 8' to 15' of water, beyond all of the commotion caused by beach goers. During the spawning season I snorkel out (sometimes scuba depending on water visibility) and look for the larger Rays. I collect their spines and with a little work turn them into pendants that are popular with surfers, divers and other ocean lovers. Before I get any hate mail here, let me say that the Ray is not harmed in any way, its spine grows back and I make a few bucks on the side. No harm done. PLEASE, don't attempt this unless you know what you're doing. I've seen their stings turn the toughest person into a screaming infant instantly.

I've never personally been hit by a Ray but have been with a number who have and helped with many more until paramedics arrived. Most hits occur on the foot or ankle. Should you get hit and go to an emergency room only to find that you have a while to wait, insist immediately on a pan of warm soapy water (they will provide this if you insist and/or create a scene). Submerge the wound and you will get immediate pain relief. You will know when you need to change the water, trust me.

Once, at a popular local beach, a little girl (I think she was 4) got hit. She was screaming and completely incoherent due to the pain. Someone called the Paramedics and I sent my son up to a nearby restaurant. He brought us back a pan of hot water with a little detergent in it. When the paramedics arrived, although still upset, she was quite. This is NOT a substitute for the doctors visit. Remove the wound from the water and you will know why. I can go on with more examples but I think you get the picture.

The Man-of-War (a Jelly Fish) is a different story. They can be quite deadly. It doesn't matter if they are in the water or washed up on the beach. Even a piece of them can deliver a painful sting. They do not secrete a toxin like many believe. You are actually being stung. If you were to look at the organism under a microscope you would see tiny translucent balls. When these come into contact with a target, they fire a tiny barb. You are actually being stung by hundreds if not thousands of these little barbs all at one time.

If it is a massive sting the victim can go into shock immediately and cause a cardiac arrest. If it should be around the head, mouth, throat, etc., it will cause immediate swelling that will hamper the victims breathing, if not cut it off completely.

Before I go into First Aid for these stings let me say that I personally think that every diver, surfer, and beach goer should avail themselves of the many good multi media first aid courses out there. It will not only allow you to treat yourself effectively but also help others.

I also think that any diver, surfer, or anyone that spends a great deal of time in and/or around the ocean should have a good first aid kit that includes not only the standard things but also the special items required to treat specific injuries that are common to the ocean. Mine is in my truck in a fishing tackle box.

First Aid for a Man-of-War hit (believe it or not) is good old Adolf Meat Tenderizer. It can be found on any grocers shelf. The man of war organism is pure protein. The Adolph's does it's job just like it does on a steak. It breaks down the protein and kills the organism instantly on contact. Pour the Adolph's liberally on the area of contact, then with the back (dull edge) of your divers knife, gently scrape away the jelly like substance from the area. Treat your victim for shock if needed and get them medical help immediately.

I was hit by a Man-of-War once in California off Redondo Beach. I had violated a basic rule of beach diving (but never again....lol). Had it not been for the fast actions of one of my diving partners and a very good diving first aid kit that was in our van, my death would have been virtually assured. She towed me into the beach, got an airway inserted, performed CPR, dumped on the Adolph's and had it scraped away all before the paramedics arrived. The life guard just watched and learned (she wouldn't have it any other way....lol). A week later I was out of the hospital and two weeks after that we all got together and completed that dive.

I've been around the ocean for most of my life. I love it and play in it on a regular basis. Please don't think that my many posts on its hazards are meant to discourage or intimidate others from getting the same enjoyment out of it that I do. My posts are meant purely to educate.

The ocean is a large part of our little planet but a world unto itself. The safety rules of that world are different from the rules of the land. To fully enjoy that world we really need to learn and follow those rules.
Deepsix

Upvote 0
S

stefen

Re: STING RAY & MAN-OF-WAR SEASON IS RAPIDLY APPROCHING!!!!

I have heard that your own urine will calm the sting...

or the use of ammonia.

Any comment?

OP
OP
deepsix47

deepsix47

Jul 26, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

stefen said:
I have heard that your own urine will calm the sting...

or the use of ammonia.

Any comment?

I have also heard that ammonia does work but its use is limited. You wouldn't want to use it around the eyes, mouth, throat, etc, as was the case in which I was hit. I've never heard about urine working but it is a guaranteed cure for athletes foot.
Deepsix

MoTwister

Apr 27, 2007
Joplin, MO
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Turbo, Fisher 1280-X, Aquapulse.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

Amen to that deepsix, as a victim of a stingray sting to the heel of the foot in Galveston TX back in the 80s I have to say that that was the most painful experience of my life. Meat tenderizer is good for jellyfish stings as they are protein based and the tenderizer breaks them down on the chemical level but if you get IT from a stingray then it can bury its barbed tail in your body and the tenderizer does no good as the bit of tail that I removed from my heel was over half an inch in my foot and the pain from the poison was unbelievable. So wear shoes, shuffle your feet and be careful.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other

I took a sting ray hit to my left foot in Panama City Beach Fl. a few summers ago. When I got to the emergency room they stuck my foot in a bucket of steamy hot, NOT WARM, but almost turn your skin red, hot water. The lighter fluid that was on fire up my leg immediately subsided. What an instant relief. Digging the barb out felt good after that.

Get you foot in the hottest water you can find. According to the doctor at the ER the hotter the better as it's the heat that neutralizes the poison from the sting ray.

When your on the beach, any restaurant or generous homeowner could provide the water. Soak first, ease the pain, then spend the time in traffic going to the ER. If your on a small boat, run the engine and collect the cooling water thats spitting out of the 'pee' tube of the outboard.

The sting is extremely painful. It was amazing at how fast the hot hot hot water worked. If I would have only known that before I spent 30 minutes in traffic with tears in my eyes...

aquanut

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2005
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Tesoro Tiger Shark

Hey Deepsix,
I don't think I ever told you I was hit by a stingray back when I was Sixteen. It hit the top of my foot right on an artery. It hurt like the devil and swelled up so fast I had to let my girlfriend drive. She was only fifteen, had no license and didn't know how to drive a stickshift. So that hit by the stingray nearly cost me my life!

OP
OP
deepsix47

deepsix47

Jul 26, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

aquanut said:
Hey Deepsix,
I don't think I ever told you I was hit by a stingray back when I was Sixteen. It hit the top of my foot right on an artery. It hurt like the devil and swelled up so fast I had to let my girlfriend drive. She was only fifteen, had no license and didn't know how to drive a stickshift. So that hit by the stingray nearly cost me my life!

Now there ya go. No matter how well you know someone you find out something new all the time. You better not let Deb find out you're on the forum. I'll bet she thinks you're working....lmao!!!! By the way, how can you remember back that far....lol.

I'll be over for the Expo and then will see you two at the party. Thanx again for the offer to help out.
Deepsix

thanrose

Jun 18, 2007

Some lifeguards on the Atlantic coast will carry meat tenderizer, at least in Daytona area. It's really important to be supplied with your own if you like to walk the beaches near the surf line. We've had days or weeks here where the tell tale bloated sails of man-of-war littered the beaches. Most people do not know how long the tendrils are and think they are okay approaching the iridescent purplish baggie looking thing...

Not so. You could be ten feet away from a dead one and still encounter stinging cells by scuffling your feet.

There's a tip. Scuffle with stingrays, don't scuffle with beached man-of-war.

As far as urine, i've heard that but never tried it or seen it used on man-of-war stings. (It does appear to be effective at least superficially on sea urchin stings.) I would doubt the urine works all that well, but the warmth is probably good for a few seconds. The acid in the urine might break down the proteins a bit, but if soapy water is better than plain water that indicates an alkaline water is key. Urine is acid, soap is alkaline.

Very good, deepsix. Thanks for the informative post.

OP
OP
deepsix47

deepsix47

Jul 26, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

rtde3 said:
Hey Deepsix thanks for the info.! I have some questions for you. I water hunt in the Chesapeake bay here on the east coast. I always see Skates swimming around me with one fin sticking up like a Shark. And I have found their barbs while digging as you can see by the picture below of one of the barbs along with some sharks teeth & other misc. things.
Do they have the same kind of sting & poison? Also I have seen a ton of jelly fish here but never a Man of War. Are they found this far north?

Howzit rtide:

Sting Rays are related to Skates and the entire family are related to Sharks. Skates don't have the long barb the Sting Ray has. Their primary predator is the Shark. The Skates lay eggs and the Sting Rays bear live young.

The picture is cool. The spines you are finding are petrified and come from a family of Rays that were huge with wing spans of over 30' and stingers that reached up to 6'. Imagine getting hit by that turkey....ouch.

Big Sting Rays can have wing spans of over 6' and I've taken stingers that were 13" long (although I primarily am after them from 4" to 6" for the pendants I make unless someone wants me to make them a spear). Somewhere, in one of my albums, I have a picture a friend took. It shows me drifting in over a big Ray with my arms stretched out to the sides (a 6' span fingertips to fingertips). The Ray's body stretched out a few inches on both sides beyond them. It's spine measured out at 13" and I left an inch or so on the body. This critter was in about 8' of water off Sand Key, Florida.

Rays are very docile creatures and would rather attempt to get away from you then fight. Very Rarely does someone get hit unless they actually step on one.

By the way, a large skate is excellent eating. Many so called "Sea Scallops" are actually nuggets pressed from Skate wings.

The Man-of-War is a warm water creature. I've never encountered them in Northern Waters or heard of any encounters. In reality it is not a Jelly fish at all. If I remember my Marine Biology right, they are actually four organisms that have to work together for the whole to live. THESE ARE NASTY BUGGERS!!!! The largest "float" of them I have personally seen was in Hawaii. We were off Maui looking for lobsters and we counted 155 drifting along on the surface.

We get them every summer, in various quantities, coming in on the Gulf Beaches. The Sting Rays are already showing up. That means the Man-of-War's will be showing up anytime also. I speak from personal experience with the Man-of-War. You DO NOT want to be able to say that, trust me. If they are in the water (even pieces of them that may have been torn apart by off shore storms) get out of the water and work the beach!!!!
Deepsix

thanrose

Jun 18, 2007

Knowing what is out there and how to protect yourself is key.

Sometimes ignorance is bliss, but ignorance can get you killed.

If you view the ocean waves from a pier, you'll see sharks swimming among the surfers. The surfers can't see them, but pretty much know they are in dangerous waters. The difference is in knowing how to prevent shark attacks and how to tell when it's time to get out of the water. Also known as how to not be confused with bait fish.

If I know the kind of river bank water moccasins favor, I cut my chances of ever getting bitten. Same thing with alligators, stingrays, velvet ants, toxic molds, bird flu, rabies, and lightning strikes. Knowledge gives you greater power while you give nature more respect.

JoeinMemphis

Apr 21, 2007
Oakland Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro / Minelab Excalibur II
Questions...

I am heading to Destin July 21 with the Tiger Shark, and after reading this post I started thinking.... I know, I know, shouldn't have done that, right? Anyway, I went to Kroger and picked up a bottle of "Lawry's Adolph's Tenderizer" Original Unseasoned, I didn't think I needed seasoned, since I am not actually thinking about throwing the afflicted body part on the BBQ. :o Its contents are: salt, sugar, food starch, and papain (from papaya fruit). Is this the right stuff?? My next question is would some form of wet suit act as a suit of armor, providing it was thoroughly rinsed before trying to remove it? If so, since I am new to wet suits, what thickness would you reccomend? Thank you for your help!! HH Joe

OP
OP
deepsix47

deepsix47

Jul 26, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Questions...

JoeinMemphis said:
I am heading to Destin July 21 with the Tiger Shark, and after reading this post I started thinking.... I know, I know, shouldn't have done that, right? Anyway, I went to Kroger and picked up a bottle of "Lawry's Adolph's Tenderizer" Original Unseasoned, I didn't think I needed seasoned, since I am not actually thinking about throwing the afflicted body part on the BBQ. :o Its contents are: salt, sugar, food starch, and papain (from papaya fruit). Is this the right stuff?? My next question is would some form of wet suit act as a suit of armor, providing it was thoroughly rinsed before trying to remove it? If so, since I am new to wet suits, what thickness would you reccomend? Thank you for your help!! HH Joe

Hi Joe:

With the Gulf waters in the mid 80's a wet suit is going to be a bit uncomfortable. You do have the right stuff there (good ole Adolph's). Personally, I wear swim trunks, t-shirt and a pair of "reef walkers" for footwear. Follow the simple rules offered and your biggest danger is going to be from the sun. Don't ever forget that fireball....lol.

Check at a lifeguard tower and/or the beach entrance before entering the water. Info on any dangerous sea life known to be around will be available there. In the water just be observant. Remember a primary rule of the ocean. If you don't know positively what it is. Don't touch it.

Shuffle your feet along the bottom. You will be far less likely to get hit by a Ray. Basically, what you are doing by taking these precautions is showing respect for the ocean and that above all else will add to your own safety and enjoyment of it.

Please remember that these posts I make are meant to inform, not scare. My one and only reason for writing them is so that others can enjoy the ocean as much as I do. There is so much misinformation out there. Often what is commonly touted as being a danger to the common beach goer (like say a Rip Current or the vast Pacific Coast Kelp beds) can on the other hand be a tool and a playground for someone else that understands them. Search out that knowledge just like you look for knowledge on how to treasure hunt. Even if you don't have use for it now, you never know when it may come in handy in the future. The ocean is a fantastic place, enjoy it.

Other then that just go out, have fun and find lots of treasure.
Deepsix

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Im lucky im immune to man o war stings,haveing been stung in hawaii well over 600 times out surfing an scuba diving they dont bother me anymore.as far as the rays i shuffle.

there are other terrors of the ocean besides the rays an man o wars an sharks.check with your local paper an see if Red tide is in the area where you want to go.just alittle over a month ago me an a friend went to new smyrna beach at night to md the beach.i had shoes on no socks,my feet got wet an full of sand.an of course i didnt take my shoes off till i got home.on the way home my left foot felt like it was on fire.i just thought it was the sand an saltwater.when i got home i washed off my shoes an took them off.on the top of my left foot there were abrasions from the sand.a few days went by an i went to my boat in sebastian to do some work on it,we got there at night.got some sleep.the next morning i woke up at 5am.my left foot was 3 times the size its supposed to be an i couldnt put any weight on it.i told my friend to grab his an my bags,lock up the boat. by the time i hobbled down the block long dock he was at the truck,we went to the ER in sebastian.the docs there told me that if i hadnt had gone there that day that i could have possibly lost my foot.so i got a shot in the a$$ with a antibiotic an got some painkillers(which didnt do anything)had some xrays done too cause i thought i broke the foot somehow.never thought i would get a bacterial infection from walking in the water.i have been in the ocean dam near all my life.i was layed up for a month.got really sick from the infection.a 3 day fever of 105 degrees.even affected my eyesight.its pretty much back to normal now an the foot is still healing,is still sore alittle.the pic of my foot is after i got home from the ER.an the bill i got from the Er is around 2k now.all we found at new smyrna was a silver baby spoon from the 1800's.an a bunch of forks an knives.all silver too.i dont think the baby spoon is worth much.but i did find out that seminole county health an rehab services would pay the ER bill seeing that i went to a out of county hospital.so no need for health insurance anymore:)howdid i know the cause of the infection?i checked out the orlando sentinal an they said red tide would be in the new smyrna area for a few days.that was the time we were there.but there were no signs of it.no dead fish or smell.it had just started.

Attachments

• 100_3326.jpg
    100_3326.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 3,731
OP
OP
deepsix47

deepsix47

Jul 26, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hi Fisheye:

That's a great piece of advice. Increased waterborne bacteria levels seem to be on the rise everywhere. I hope that foot continues to heal well. You'll make it through though. I've never known anyone who could claim over 600 hits from Man-of-War's. You must be a tough one.
Deepsix

JoeinMemphis

Apr 21, 2007
Oakland Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro / Minelab Excalibur II

Hey Deepsix, got my official Bass Pro neoprene zip up deck shoes, and some SPF 50!! I have been working 10 hour days this week, and will be working 12's next, also on the weekends. Vacation can't come soon enough!! HH Joe

surfrat96

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2005
Hollywood, Florida
Detector(s) used
AquaSound

FISHEYE said:
Im lucky im immune to man o war stings,haveing been stung in hawaii well over 600 times out surfing an scuba diving they dont bother me anymore.as far as the rays i shuffle.

Being an avid surfer for over 40 yrs I know what you mean about being immune to the sting. I've been stung so many times it doesn't bother me as much too. When I get a tentacle or piece on me, I just calmly pull it off with my fingertips. For some reason it doesn't sting my fingertips! I have also learned that the longer the tentacle is on your skin the harder it grips into it(if that makes any sense). I guess the barbs in the tentacles grab a hold of you better the longer they're on.

HH 8) surfrat

aleman

Feb 17, 2007
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mark 2

A Month ago on a hunt. Didn't find anything though, but was quite an experiance....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread