Stolen from Steve Herschbach - Gold Pans, Everything you need to know!

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Upvote 0

laidback4sho

Aug 31, 2014
Laconia, NH
Detector(s) used
Currently:
XP Deus v4.1
Minelab Equinox 800
Fisher Gold Bug 2

Previously:
Garrett GTA 500
Garrett Ultra GTA 1000
Garrett GTAx 1250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Terry, you tried the Gold Claw pans out yet? What you think about them? Just got me one but haven't been out yet with it.

laidback4sho

Aug 31, 2014
Laconia, NH
Detector(s) used
Currently:
XP Deus v4.1
Minelab Equinox 800
Fisher Gold Bug 2

Previously:
Garrett GTA 500
Garrett Ultra GTA 1000
Garrett GTAx 1250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice article btw! Thanks for sharing.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kress wanted to sell pans his hypothesis... meh

Legal made a slight addition that makes sense and is used by thousands including my self...

the gold claw is a huge rip off and no improvement..

it's amazing how many wastes of time get patented

OP
OP
Terry Soloman

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Terry, you tried the Gold Claw pans out yet? What you think about them? Just got me one but haven't been out yet with it.

I tested it out at Stanton, AZ, and honestly was not really impressed. Maybe I'm just jaded, or have used my old Garrett plastic pans so long I feel uncomfortable using anything else. Let us know what you think! :occasion14:

laidback4sho

Aug 31, 2014
Laconia, NH
Detector(s) used
Currently:
XP Deus v4.1
Minelab Equinox 800
Fisher Gold Bug 2

Previously:
Garrett GTA 500
Garrett Ultra GTA 1000
Garrett GTAx 1250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Will do. Thx!

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I don't have one but by video viewing it seems that it works ok but is probably best suited for beginning panners...for instance, a family with younguns on vacation...one pan to be shared by all.

Last edited:

placertogo

Aug 25, 2010
Maine USA
Yes, it works but not 40 to 50 bucks worth. I have about every pan made in the last 25 years. If I could have only one it would be a Garrett Super Sluice or Klondike Special which is made in Sweden. Both these cost about ten dollars each and are nearly indestructible.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I tried the goldclaw at a gold show and was shocked at how easy it was to lose the small gold with it. Most pans are better than that one AND are 1/4 the cost.

Last edited:

N-Lionberger

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2013
Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Great article! I have read over it several times before, I want to print it out for my notebook. I saw a demonstration of the goldclaw at a gold show, the demonstrator asked me what my favorite pan was, well thats complicated, I have many favorite pans for different situations but my main go to pans for sampling a stream are either the Garret super sluice or the Estwing 16" ribbed steel pan. If its really cold out or I am running a detector I use the Garret, for everything else steel pan. The demonstrator assured me after the demo I would throw money at him and throw away that old rusty hunk of junk. At the end of the demo which involved play sand salted with nice size flakes he asked what color pan I wanted to buy!

placertogo

Aug 25, 2010
Maine USA
I think a great disservice is being done to new prospectors by Gold Claw. It works, but no better than the classic Garrett and at more than 5 times the price. Scalpers!

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi , the first gold pan user guide is found in 1850's book called Victorian Gold Valuer Ready Reckoner in 1853 published by W M ORR & SONS of London . First American Goldpan Patent was in 1861 . So who stole what ? TP

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've got 5 gold claws sitting here and some dealers outside in their trailer... I can't see how it would lose any gold with an experienced panner using it, I will make time to try it out next week and see if I can get it working right because to me, it looks like it still needs to be seasoned before using it. Still though, I use Frank's Pioneer pan that Keene sells now and then the blue Falcon concentrator pan still ranks #1 in my book for dealing with concentrates.

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Everybody always wants the newest thinking it will get them more gold. If you are losing gold, THEN YOU DON'T KNOW HOW TO PAN PROPERLY! Blue or green doesn't matter, they are just personal preferences, and one or the other may work better for different vision issues.

If you are a beginner, a medium pan with several riffles (I like the blue Proline) will help you keep the gold in your pan.

If you can properly work a pan, you don't need Miller Tables or Blue Bowls. Unless you are using bigger equipment that generates a buttload of concentrates, all you need to do is learn to pan. I'm not the fastest, but I am pretty fast, and I have never lost a bet having someone pan my leavings.

One bit of advice though: when you are working at your Honey Hole, keep a LOT of black sand in your snuffer bottle! That way, when some nosey stranger wants to see what you have gotten, you hold up that thing and all they see is black sand. Act like you are really excited, and tell them you heard there is always gold in black sand! They tend to move on, and you get to work in peace again.

Mike

placertogo

Aug 25, 2010
Maine USA
Everybody always wants the newest thinking it will get them more gold. If you are losing gold, THEN YOU DON'T KNOW HOW TO PAN PROPERLY! Blue or green doesn't matter, they are just personal preferences, and one or the other may work better for different vision issues.

If you are a beginner, a medium pan with several riffles (I like the blue Proline) will help you keep the gold in your pan.

If you can properly work a pan, you don't need Miller Tables or Blue Bowls. Unless you are using bigger equipment that generates a buttload of concentrates, all you need to do is learn to pan. I'm not the fastest, but I am pretty fast, and I have never lost a bet having someone pan my leavings.

One bit of advice though: when you are working at your Honey Hole, keep a LOT of black sand in your snuffer bottle! That way, when some nosey stranger wants to see what you have gotten, you hold up that thing and all they see is black sand. Act like you are really excited, and tell them you heard there is always gold in black sand! They tend to move on, and you get to work in peace again.

Mike

Excellent advice for all, from novice to the experienced prospector.

Capt Nemo

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2015
Oshkosh, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Generally, that's true until you run beach sands. Unless you take the sand home and pan it 2-3 times, you're gonna loose something.

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Generally, that's true until you run beach sands. Unless you take the sand home and pan it 2-3 times, you're gonna loose something.

Not if you know how to pan. If I can keep fly poop of about 500 mesh in a pan, then I don't care about anything smaller. Not worth my time when I have plenty of nice chunky stuff. If you haven't seen, here are some pics from another thread:

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/p...ing-fine-gold-cleanup-method.html#post6168423

Mike

N-Lionberger

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2013
Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Doesn't sound like you have tried panning for beach gold, its ALL fine black sand it takes on a weird soupy state its slow to stratify, the black sand in your photos are boulders in comparison.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread