stone artifact

mechgirl

Greenie
Oct 19, 2016
Hancock County, Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My 5-year old son found this stone tool (identified by treasurenet members as a celt) in the farmer's field by our house. We go rock hunting when the fields are just cleared. There is an area in the field - a higher part of the field where there is a belt of higher concentration of rocks - and that's where he found it. My son announced that this one was way more special than all the other rocks and wouldn't let it out of his hands. When I saw it I figured it was a stone tool. I would like more information about what it is for and who may have used it, we are in the southern part of Hancock County, Ohio (northwestern Ohio). Farmer has yet to till, so we are excitedly looking for to more treasure hunting soon when he tells us we can go out. Pictures may not show accurately the length is about 3 1/4 inches and the width is just over an 1 1/2 inches at the widest and about 1 inch deep. Front and back: the one face has very polished areas at front and back, the other face has maybe plow marks. IMG_4154.JPG IMG_4155.JPG IMG_4156.JPG IMG_4150.JPG IMG_4148.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 17

geologyjohn

Mar 18, 2009
West edge of the U.S.
Detector(s) used
WW2 mine detector, D-Tex Standard, D-Tex Deluxe, A.H. Pro Discriminator, various Whites, Fisher 1265-X, Fisher 1270, Fisher F75, Fisher Gold Bug,Tesoro Sand Shark. And maybe others that I forgot?
What a great find, for any age! He's got the gene.
Your son will probably have that cool relic follow him for the rest of his live.
THIS is how treasure hunters and serious history buffs are born.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Welcome to T-Net mechgirl.
Your son has a good eye!
There are some great artifact folks here.
You might try posting in the North American Indian forum and see what some of the replies suggest.
North American Indian Artifacts

ClovisOak

Jul 11, 2012
Chicagoland
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350, Bounty Hunter, Garrett Pin Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great Find! Welcome to the forum. It is a celt and my guess is Hopewell time period, so about 2,000 years old.
HH

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool Stone Age artifact! I sense a bright future for your son if he's already this passionate about finding artifacts! When he's a professional archaeologist 20 years from now he can say he found his first Stone Age artifact when he was 5, and that's a pretty neat thing to be able to say! :icon_thumright:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find there will be lots more the more you detect I have found so much from gold and silver rings old coins relics ect very fun and easy to get hooked Welcome to tnet Thanks for sharing hope to see more finds soon HH

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats a great find for your son. I'd keep going back to that place. There could be arrowheads and other artifacts to find.

DownNDirty

Bronze Member
Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My 5-year old son found this stone tool (identified by treasurenet members as a celt) in the farmer's field by our house. We go rock hunting when the fields are just cleared. There is an area in the field - a higher part of the field where there is a belt of higher concentration of rocks - and that's where he found it. My son announced that this one was way more special than all the other rocks and wouldn't let it out of his hands. When I saw it I figured it was a stone tool. I would like more information about what it is for and who may have used it, we are in the southern part of Hancock County, Ohio (northwestern Ohio). Farmer has yet to till, so we are excitedly looking for to more treasure hunting soon when he tells us we can go out. Pictures may not show accurately the length is about 3 1/4 inches and the width is just over an 1 1/2 inches at the widest and about 1 inch deep. Front and back: the one face has very polished areas at front and back, the other face has maybe plow marks. View attachment 1372371 View attachment 1372370 View attachment 1372369 View attachment 1372367 View attachment 1372368

Very nice find! Never found one of those. Tell your son he did weel

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool, he started younger than me, he has a great career ahead of him. Great Find.

OP
OP
M

mechgirl

Greenie
Oct 19, 2016
Hancock County, Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it's been tilled, but no permission to walk it, so won't be back in that field until the corn comes off next year. But he left the whole edge of the fence row untilled for my husband to hunt from (nuisance tags). There is a wash out area at the bottom of the field that is untilled also, and I find a lot of flint/chert and rusty old things there. He did give permission to go look in one of his lower fields that is full of large rocks, which is what I was after in the first place, maybe something to find over there.

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find, glad you can spend time with your son and maybe the new spot will produce some nice artifacts!

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find! :icon_thumright: I'm always on the lookout for stone tools and have yet to find one myself. Your soon has a terrific start to his collection.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread