stone found in creek with 'drilled' hole

sndngrvl

Tenderfoot
Feb 20, 2017
Northeast Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a pretty good guess as to what the response will be, but I wanted expert eyes to give their opinion. I'm a landscaper who works with natural stone and have seen all sorts of illogical natural formations. To quote Kramer, I know that "Mother Nature is a maaaad scientist..."

Anyway, my wife found this rock in a creek bed, here in Northern Ohio while we were hiking. I know there were all sorts of Native American tribes throughout our area. (I have a decent collection of arrowheads, etc., from hunting with my father 30 years ago - sadly, the most fertile hunting ground we ever searched is now a sprawling housing development. You could barely walk more than 20 feet without picking up an arrowhead. But I digress...)

I've seen quite a few pics of natural holes in stones. The placement and perfection of this hole, raised, at least, a tiny bit of suspicion, so I'm posing it to the forum. The 'front' side has a larger impression than the exit hole on the back side.

Thanks for your insight.
Dan

stone w hole front.jpg
stone w hole back.jpg

Upvote 0

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hand hold for a spindle on bow drill set?

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It does look drilled from what I see, but what it was used for could be a number of things. Your wife has a good eye:icon_thumleft: Welcome to T-net:hello:

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you zoom in on the holes you can see how rough they are inside on both sides of your piece, so I doubt that is a drilled hole. Looks like something has eroded out. Just my thoughts.

These are the best examples I have of drilled holes. Looks closely at these and you can the difference between these and the hole in your piece.

Attachments

• Winged Bannerstone (5).jpg
    Winged Bannerstone (5).jpg
    136.5 KB · Views: 259
  • Winged Bannerstone (6).jpg
    Winged Bannerstone (6).jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 119
OP
OP
S

sndngrvl

Tenderfoot
Feb 20, 2017
Northeast Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The most interior, protected part of the hole looks pretty smooth. (The rock is only about 1/2" thick) I didn't know if it could have all started smooth (man-made) and has been eroding in the creek for 300 years, working its way outside to in and degrading the original smoothness on the most exposed area, or if it's just a rock with a hole. I suspected 'rock with a hole.' Luckily, we find it cool enough to stick on a shelf either way.

Dan

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_md.gif
1st - I noticed this was your very first post Dan - so, Welcome Aboard! You didn't list your state (or country) in your profile. So, you might consider jumping over to Sub-Forums: Select Your Area.... and selecting location information (i.e., clubs, hunts, finds, legends, maps, etc.) directly related to your state (or country).

Backwoodsbob

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Refer them to the other thread . Seeing how I can't mention them
Because it belongs there..

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Bow Only

Jun 20, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It very well could be a weight for a net. I've seen cast net weights that looked very similar. The size and shape are both consistent with what I've seen before.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread