ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Any chance of a larger picture or several showing different angles? Also a scale would help as would provenance.

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to find a lot of garnets panning in Montana, and Colorado - put up more close, clear pics !

OP
OP
O

Oldford

Tenderfoot
Apr 20, 2017
Newfoundland
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I used to find a lot of garnets panning in Montana, and Colorado - put up more close, clear pics !

I would estimate its approx 3-5 mm in size (1/8") sorry about the picture quality i dont have a great camera but it looks pretty much the same from all angles with slight variations. Thanks for the reply

Attachments

• IMG_2154.png
    IMG_2154.png
    240 KB · Views: 103

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Where did you find it? Not specifically, but general area.
(its not the quality of the pic, thats fine. but different angles matter. maybe not to you but it will to someone who can help id the stone by cleavage planes/crystal axes. and its those 'slight variations' that can make all the difference in an id.)

OP
OP
O

Oldford

Tenderfoot
Apr 20, 2017
Newfoundland
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Where did you find it? Not specifically, but general area.
(its not the quality of the pic, thats fine. but different angles matter. maybe not to you but it will to someone who can help id the stone by cleavage planes/crystal axes. and its those 'slight variations' that can make all the difference in an id.)

I found it in a river in Newfoundland, Canada.. I dont have much knowlage in this sort of thing i have only just started doing some panning with my brother as a hobby. This little guy showed up after about 4 pans so we kept in just incase.. Didnt get any gols but it was still something interesting to us even if it turns out to be nothing lol

I will see if i can get him to take a few different pics at different angles.

OP
OP
O

Oldford

Tenderfoot
Apr 20, 2017
Newfoundland
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Here is another from a different angle, i thought at first it was the same picture but its not.. Not sure if this helps or not but i will post some more when i can

Attachments

• IMG_0814.jpg
    IMG_0814.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 101

freddy williams

Oct 9, 2010
Alabama/ Ohio
Detector(s) used
GTI-2500, Whites V3, xplorer XS Cortes & XLT Cibola Tesoro Tiger shark Now using a Xterra 705, Ace 350...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
looks like Garrnets

OP
OP
O

Oldford

Tenderfoot
Apr 20, 2017
Newfoundland
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I was thinking that but the shape is throwing me off, the edges are so crisp, almost has a "cut" look. thanks for the reply

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My first impression was also that of a faceted stone, but I really cant see it well enough to have a strong opinion. I think garnet is a good working guess, but i'll have to bow out as I don't know Newfoundland geology enough to be of assistance.

Do you see any inclusions/'bubbles' inside the stone? Any chipping along the 'faceted' edges?

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A Neat little find. Sorry no Help on Id . Id Keep it tho.

nh.nugget

Sep 3, 2013
e.rochester nh.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
whites, KEENE A52 sluice, 3" dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Garnets we get them by the pound in NH. they are nice and gemmy but too small to do any thing with. I fill a gold vial with them and tie a raw hide lace around the vial and give to the grand kids.

HenryWaltonJonesJr

Sep 2, 2013
Downtown Chicago
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, AT Pro, Compadre, SeaHunter II, AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
They appear to be worked to me...could have come off a piece of jewelry and found its way to your pan. I'd metal detect the area.

OP
OP
O

Oldford

Tenderfoot
Apr 20, 2017
Newfoundland
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
They appear to be worked to me...could have come off a piece of jewelry and found its way to your pan. I'd metal detect the area.

I thought about that but honestly it as found in an area that has very very little traffic as far as people. But you may be correct, just wish i had a metal detector lol

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Unlike Rubies and Sapphires which usually form as long hexagon crystals, Garnets often develop in somewhat misshapen roundish crystals in Rhombic dodecahedron or cubic forms with each side nearly perfect. I have found quite a few imperfect Garnets and Iron Garnets that had what appeared to be similar to perfect cuts, although none were equal in size and shape such as a cut, so this is evidence that they formed naturally that way and were not cut by a stone/gem cutter. I believe that the O.P.'s gem is a lightly colored red Pyrope Garnet, although it is possible it is an Almandine Garnet.

Frank

Last edited:
OP
OP
O

Oldford

Tenderfoot
Apr 20, 2017
Newfoundland
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
thanks guys for all the comments, ill assume by all the input that it is indeed a garnet unless I discover otherwise. still going to keep it and head back to the same area see if I can find anymore. thanks again

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
99% it's a garnet due to the crystal structure and color. Garnets are commonly found where gold occurs.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread