stone map marker question

bjgiff

Jul 29, 2010
I live in Wyoming and my family has some property that was known to be traveled across by the likes of Butch Cassidy. There were also some less famous cattle rustlers/robbers known to occupy the area.

My question is, is anyone familiar with the stone map markers like the ones in the link below?:

http://okietreasurehunter.blogspot.com/2009/12/what-is-treasure-mark-part-ii.html

The reason I'm asking is that I've come across such a stone with a hole bored into it. The stone is "mounted" into the side of a canyon wall with the hole bored in the center of the stone.

It absolutely was placed there and you can see behind it from one side of it. *The view isn't very good but is obvious that it doesn't open up to anything larger and there isn't much space behind the stone.

The stone that is "placed" in the side of the canyon wall is approximately 14-20 inches high and about the same width. Approximately 6-10" thick. *Haven't been by it for quite awhile and am estimating the dimensions.

try treasure marks/signs page.folks like old dog are full of knowledge.

First thing.............DO NOT REMOVE IT. You will screw up any lead it provides, and, as sn suggested; go to the Marks and Signs section and start reading the posts there. You will discover loads of information from reading the posts already there. Then, post a photo of your stone and ask for comments. Just don't mention where it is.

bjgiff said:
I live in Wyoming and my family has some property that was known to be traveled across by the likes of Butch Cassidy. There were also some less famous cattle rustlers/robbers known to occupy the area.

My question is, is anyone familiar with the stone map markers like the ones in the link below?:

http://okietreasurehunter.blogspot.com/2009/12/what-is-treasure-mark-part-ii.html

The reason I'm asking is that I've come across such a stone with a hole bored into it. The stone is "mounted" into the side of a canyon wall with the hole bored in the center of the stone.

It absolutely was placed there and you can see behind it from one side of it. *The view isn't very good but is obvious that it doesn't open up to anything larger and there isn't much space behind the stone.

The stone that is "placed" in the side of the canyon wall is approximately 14-20 inches high and about the same width. Approximately 6-10" thick. *Haven't been by it for quite awhile and am estimating the dimensions.

I've seen stones like that in my early non MD years, and always figured they were just chunks of rock which were bored out for dynamite explosions. It could be just that simple too.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back