Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Saw this on https://www.sciencedaily.com today. The Gault Site in central Texas has produced stone tools dating from 16-20,000 years ago. The Gault School of Archeological Research found these underlying a Clovis component, and dated them using the Optically Simulated Luminescence method.

Gault Site artifacts.jpg

Upvote 0

uglymailman

Bronze Member
Feb 3, 2010
The crudest points I ever found was in McCullough Co. about 15 miles West of the Exact Geographical Center of TX.. Locals told me they were 5-10K yrs. old. Good luck.

ptsofnc

Apr 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you're interested in a book about the Gault site.....CLOVIS LITHIC TECHNOLOGY "Investigation of a Stratified Workshop at the Gault Site, Texas".......Michael Waters, 2011. It is an interesting but technical read.

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
If you notice letters h & i in that bunch... There is no one who knows anything about Texas arrowheads would would have found a base like those and believed they were pre-clovis... Wild stuff, with really solid science to back up the wildest stuff.

arrow86

Silver Member
May 6, 2014
Eastern Shore Maryland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you notice letters h & i in that bunch... There is no one who knows anything about Texas arrowheads would would have found a base like those and believed they were pre-clovis... Wild stuff, with really solid science to back up the wildest stuff.

Yeah, if C, G and I are pre Clovis than I guess most of my collection is pre Clovis .....lol

dognose

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2009
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
I have read about the Gault Site in the past. Interesting reading.

I have also read the theory and debate that the Sandia Point predates Clovis as well.

Here is the column on the
lithiccastinglab web site, which I find interesting.

I found a point way back in the late 1970's, which resembles the sandia Type I
sandia_maybe.jpg

I have withheld judgement on whether the Sandia predates Clovis. But I like reading about that sort of theory.

There was also some digs going on over the last number of years in South America which the archaeologist theorized where older than Clovis.

Rick K

Jan 3, 2007
Gold Canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
ML SDC-2300, Fisher F-75, XP Deus,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, Tom Dillehay at Vanderbilt University documented the Monte Verde site in Chile.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread