Upvote 0

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All natural is my thoughts, how close to the water was ya when you found it?

SanMan

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2012
West Coast
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, AT Max, AT Gold - Tesoro Euro Sabre - Tesoro Bandido II uMax - Troy X2 - Tesoro Stingray - Mojave - Fisher 1280X- Fisher 1235X - and many more.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's a "Doughnette"

The Ancient name for a small doughnut.

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You did it! You found the engagement ring that Wilma gave Fred Flintstone. :laughing7:

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
There is a known class of artifact known simply as a donut stone. I don't know if that is what you have, and I am not familiar with how widespread their existence is. Here is an article showing and describing California donut stones:

https://escholarship.org/content/qt2dw945vq/qt2dw945vq.pdf

Of course, as others have noted, it is entirely possible for such stones to be created naturally. I just wanted to point out the existence of native donut stones....

That said, the link shows some asymmetrical man made donut stones. It's possible the question of man made or natural is still an open question where your holed stone is concerned....

From the article: "Asymmetrical doughnuts weremore expediently made, and little attention was paid to ner nishing details. Asymmetrical donuts are lop-sided,often have off-center holes, and exhibit surface blemishes."

Last edited:

GaRebel1861

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2011
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’d said it’s natural but cool. If I had found it, I would have brought it home as well.

OP
OP
oldbattleaxe

oldbattleaxe

May 26, 2010
No water in the area. I was in Joaquin Valley visiting and old army buddy.

OP
OP
oldbattleaxe

oldbattleaxe

May 26, 2010
After looking at some of the websites above provided by Charl. I am not sure if this stone hole was made by erosion or a digging weight. I have to take it to get it looked at. It could be a digging weight? This stone is very hard and heavy. Not sand stone. I had found some other pieces in the near by area years ago. Here is a pic of what describes this similar stone.

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
After looking at some of the websites above provided by Charl. I am not sure if this stone hole was made by erosion or a digging weight. I have to take it to get it looked at. It could be a digging weight? This stone is very hard and heavy. Not sand stone. I had found some other pieces in the near by area years ago. Here is a pic of what describes this similar stone.

This article suggests some donut stones had the holes started in a natural manner, via a shellfish known as a piddock clam, and were then further modified by humans:

http://www.pcas.org/documents/DonutStoneFishingSinkers.pdf

Piddock clams:

https://www.shapeoflife.org/blog/finding-hole-truth-about-piddock-clams-monterey-bay

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks more like made by mother nature than man made.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread