Rye

Greenie
Dec 28, 2014
Gaston County, NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey Neo. I'm originally from Wilkes and grew up with the stories of Stoneman's Raid. I'm in Gaston County now south of you. I've currently been researching some of Stoneman's activities between Lincolnton and south along the Catawba River and the anticipated attack on Charlotte which never happened.

There's a lot of history and speculation about this raid including the raiders being on the west bank of the Catawba River when the Confederate Treasury passed through Charlotte after the fall of Richmond. The confederate treasury did leave Charlotte heading south but know one actually knows exactly what happened to all of the gold.

If you want to work together on this, I can geo-locate the old maps you found in GIS software and could email you .pdf files. Let me know what you think.

Dmhawv

Tenderfoot
Jan 5, 2015
Sherrills Ford NC
Detector(s) used
Fisher f4
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Does any one have any maps for the trail of tears through Sherrills Ford? Sorry I can't add to your research.

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
... I've currently been researching some of Stoneman's activities between Lincolnton and south along the Catawba River and the anticipated attack on Charlotte which never happened.

There's a lot of history and speculation about this raid including the raiders being on the west bank of the Catawba River when the Confederate Treasury passed through Charlotte after the fall of Richmond. The confederate treasury did leave Charlotte heading south but know one actually knows exactly what happened to all of the gold...
Stoneman's Raid: Salisbury and the Yadkin River Bridge
The CSA treasury flight is covered on the Legends/KGC site-"Florida KGC legends..."

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread