47thelement

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2009
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excal, ACE 250 for my son
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok gotta get this off my chest!

I've been going to storage auctions for years now, the most number of people I've ever seen at these is maybe 10. And that was in the high $$$ part of town. Well today I go to one auction and there were 75 registered bidders!!! Two months ago at the same storage facility there were 3 people.

The bidding was stupid crazy! A skanky folding table and a plastic picture frame had a bidding war that started at $1 and ended at $5. Last month it would have gone into the dumpster!

This is not reality tv. You are not going to get rich from this. Go back to watching "real" reality tv!! Jerry Springer could use the ratings

Even the manager was frustrated with the people sipping on their lattes and leaving their trash everywhere.

I'll now step down off my soap box.

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is what happen when they show this stuff on TV. Everyone want to get in the action and try and hit it big. That is why we don;t need a TV show on detecting and finding some neat stuff every now and then......Matt

simonds

Feb 4, 2005
Tioga Co. Pa.
Yep, many people watch these staged TV shows and they think they can become wealthy by doing this. I have known some who seen a show or read something on metal detecting and run right out and buy a detector. But it passes by in a short time. The good part is we can find some very good bargins out there on hardly used at all metal detectors that have been sitting in their closets.
Clayton

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
Yup i fully agree with you guys.A friend of mine wanted to start doing the storage auctions i talked him out of it..Whoever thinks those storage places dont go in and take the good stuff and after wards replace the locks are foolish indeed :laughing7:

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah before this show was on TV,I use to go with a friend of mine and he use to get some pretty good deals,a leather sofa for $25,just think what's gonna happen with that gold miner show? :laughing7:

White Feather

Nov 19, 2008
Ellenton, Florida
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster, Bounty Hunter, Propwash...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:tongue3: I have been buying storage units for about thirty years on and off. I've been into flea marketing for many more years. You are right about this crap with the storage wars. I have even let units I stored flea market items in go into default to get them thinned down and weed out a few units I was wasting money supporting. It is true that once in a while you run into a good find but most have been picked over by the storage people long before any auction. How would you like to bid a few hundred bucks on a unit full of empty boxes. I've seen it happen. I was lucky enough to drop out of the bidding long before it got crazy. Something just did not look right and I decided to pass. They don't show the extreme losses you can suffer. Units can even be seeded in front with all trash behind something that will get the bidders going way out of the realm of recovery of any bid money.

Just my $0.02 worth of a bid! :o

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup. Everybody's looking for a "get rich quick" scheme. They don't realize that there is actual work involved if you want to make money off of these units, per resale at flea markets and such. It's the large items that make you the money for the most part. Granted every now and then you do find some good boxes that may contain "smalls" that can be sold online but..... It's few and far between that you get an actual "find". It's been a while since i've been to a storage auction, there's always been competition down here though, I wonder what it's like now? Haven't been to one in about a year or so. I think i'll stick with the garage sales and estate sales for my bargains, until the "fad" dies down. I have enough competition with the Haitian's down here if you can believe that.

simonds

Feb 4, 2005
Tioga Co. Pa.
Yep, White & Dig, I agree with you . It will die down after awhile. I have been into buying and selling for quite awhile. Things go in cycles and in will die down soon.
Clayton

dogpound

Sep 24, 2010
southeast PA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030
thats very true about the storage landlord seeding a unit thats for sale, i knew someone that owns storage units and he said that he always goes thru them before he has them auctioned off and said he's put broken T.V.'s in the front so people think its a good unit. the only one truely making money is the storage landlord, he's already picked out the goodies and then gets the cash for the junk. i'm sure there are some that just want to get rid of the units and don't cherry pick thru them but i'm sure if the landlord opens the door and see's a decent item it's goin home with him before the auction.

minton7

Mar 28, 2007
south central ohio
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT
in a way I always figured the landlord picked over the units.... I figured this cause i knew in his shoes, I would do the same thing.... I would be thinkin bam... get rich quick for me LOL every unit at one sale I went to had queen or king mattress and box springs.... seemed a lil too convenient.. American Pickers kills us too,.,, 99% the value is what they think they can get.. not what is actually sold

rebeljim52

Sep 20, 2009
Silverstreet SC
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000 and used XLT E
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have agree with you guys.Had a friend bought stuff and sold at flea market mostly big stuff.

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
In my opinion, most of those people that go to those auctions are just kinda shady you know? , Kind of like people that run the pawn shops I suppose. That show Storage wars? Those guys are jerks. Sketchie fighting over someones misfortunes like that for profit :icon_scratch:

Personally, I don't think I would enjoy it. It would be like having to scratch lottery tickets all day to eat at night.

I guess someones going to get it any way, right?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread