Beans

Bronze Member
May 31, 2008
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went to my local convience store, while there I watched one of the clerks pull out a dime from the registar and replace with one out of his pocket. I knew the guy since this is where I get my coffee. I said "so that is why I never get any old coins from here". He kind of looked at me :tard: and said " We all watch for the silver". He told me once when they opened a roll of dimes most were silver and they split them up between the guys working that shift. Can't blame for making a little extra at work. So no need to check my change from there anymore. I know what bank they use to pick up thier money for the day, guess where I will going?

OP
OP
Beans

Beans

Bronze Member
May 31, 2008
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bluehunter1973 said:
not at my local arab store been getting tons of silver for last two weeks there.

I did ask what they are seeing, stated that one guy came in with a Walker, knew what it was but needed cigs more. He said a lot of people are digging into thier piggy banks. At least two or three people a week (not the same ones) pay with loose change.

mfitzy111

Mar 6, 2011
NEPA
Detector(s) used
garrett ACE350 (traded off!), minelab E-TRAC, AT-Pro
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
you should work something out with them about buying it - like $1.50 for a dime and $3 for a quarter...$8 for a half...

under market value so they could get more in ebay (but loss more in fees so it's about even!), but still good money if they want to make some quick cash...I ask around and have contacts like that, at local mcdonalds, BK, and the convenience stores..

it's good to have some business cards too - you never know, and besides they already know what to look for and will just keep them for themselves- how can you make that work in your favor? offer a little cash when they have some finds if they call you... :icon_thumright:

the worst thing that can happen when you mention it is they say sorry no i'm keeping it for myself... good thing most of these places only have kids working there - they don't care about silver- they want cash..trading a dime for a dollar is a no brainer for them... :tard:

OP
OP
Beans

Beans

Bronze Member
May 31, 2008
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mfitzy111 said:
you should work something out with them about buying it - like $1.50 for a dime and $3 for a quarter...$8 for a half...

Won't be able to do it at this store. The clerk who I saw switch the dime, went into how the cost of oil drives up the price of silver and gold. The clerks at this store are not your average convience store clerks.

mfitzy111

Mar 6, 2011
NEPA
Detector(s) used
garrett ACE350 (traded off!), minelab E-TRAC, AT-Pro
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
ah - well there are more stores out there - the ones like Mcdonalds who have kids working who don't care are the best bet.

I think the first rule of hunting is not to train the population as to what your looking for -just ask em for old coins. talking and making contacts in different places help- I know a mcdonalds manager who was closing last year and said he made like about $400 in silver that he swapped out and sold on ebay- I asked him if he'd like to sell it to me -you know- with out all the fees. offering him about what a pawn shop would offer...he said sure saves him the trouble of dealing with fee-bay and pay-pal. so really man you have to keep looking around and making contacts. ;D

OP
OP
Beans

Beans

Bronze Member
May 31, 2008
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mfitzy111 said:
ah - well there are more stores out there - the ones like Mcdonalds who have kids working who don't care are the best bet.

I think the first rule of hunting is not to train the population as to what your looking for -just ask em for old coins. talking and making contacts in different places help- I know a mcdonalds manager who was closing last year and said he made like about $400 in silver that he swapped out and sold on ebay- I asked him if he'd like to sell it to me -you know- with out all the fees. offering him about what a pawn shop would offer...he said sure saves him the trouble of dealing with fee-bay and pay-pal. so really man you have to keep looking around and making contacts. ;D

I have been working on that. When people ask I just use the old reliable answer... filling the old coin books. Thanks

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I used to do that in the 70's. Had a guy come in and pay with $15 in $1 silver certificates once . . . but my boss made me split them 5/5/5 with him and the other clerk on duty when he noticed me "making change" from the register afterwards.

Pulled some Buffalos and Mercs from the register while I worked there and a couple Franklins.

jcooking

Feb 28, 2010
Montana
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE Pro, Sunray X-1 probe
Garrett AT Gold
I work at a liquor store and get a lot of folks that come in and pay with change, kinda sad cause its always the same people every day. Anyways in the last 3 years I have pulled out a couple silver washingtons, one standing quarter, 2 buffalo nickels, about 8 war nickels, and probably about 20 silver rosies. The other clerks caught on to what I was doing, and one of them pulled a silver half the other day, offered him 8 bucks, but no luck.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread