vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal_detector.gif
Until someone pipes in...I searched the net and found that (don't know if this is true - but if it is on the InterNet - it must be true!
killingme.gif
) gold has a tendency to turn a dull color after having been stored in an airtight container for an extended period of time. For this reason, some gold miners and dealers store their gold in water-filled jars, and dry it out just before displaying it or making a sale...

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Pure gold will not discolor but virtually every gold item you interact with is an alloy of gold and other metals. Generally those other metals will very slowly oxidize. That could cause a slight dulling or color change I suppose.

Any metallurgists on here to help?

B H Prospector

Feb 2, 2010
Black Hills, South Dakota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gold does not tarnish. I have gold with copper alloyed with it and it has a slight orange color. I have some that has some sort of alloy that gives it an brownish color and I have some that is very bright yellow. All my gold is stored dry and it has never changed in color or luster. The only reason for storing gold in viles with water is for magnification to see the gold better. Water, unless it is filtered will cause a slime to form in the bottle and on the gold and make it look nasty.

B H Prospector

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
As B H says above, simply cosmetic. The waterfilled bottle makes little gold look like BIG gold. When filling, do so underwater so you will not have those nasty air bubbles, ruining the reason you fill it with water. Lid and vial underwater... screw on cap... no bubbles. TTC

Fullpan

Bronze Member
May 6, 2012
nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I was just beyond newbie status, we used to hang at the bridge on re-supply days, drink brewskies and offer small water-filled vials of gold (maybe .50 cents worth) to tourist, daytripper types. They always oohed and awed, and would buy the gold at 5 bucks a pop, sometimes. Stopped doing that as it didn't
seem right.

Oakview2

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2012
Prather CA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Other
Fullpan

Considering your labor and todays prices, it was probably a bargain:laughing7: I was at the GPAA show today, and less than a third of a gram came out to three times spot....

Fullpan

Bronze Member
May 6, 2012
nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Three times spot, for a gram? In other words...over a hundred dollars? for 1/3 gram? Or am I misunderstanding:icon_scratch:

Oakview2

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2012
Prather CA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Other
It was less than a third of a gram, and 35 a vial. I think spot is about 50 a gram now, so it was a little over twice spot, for powder of course in water....I spent several hours walking the bucket line dredge piles at Snelling, and may have fried what little brains I had left:laughing7:

Last edited:

Fullpan

Bronze Member
May 6, 2012
nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, it was me Oak - I get it now, they were selling 12-15 gold for 35. I spent almost an hour flying back and forth over the Snelling tailings on GE couple
weeks back - fascinating area! How was the gold show for attendance? And did you keep your C card locked up outside? lol

Oakview2

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2012
Prather CA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Other
The piles are fascinating, such a large amount of rock washed and stacked. Had my camera in the car, forgot to take pictures. Too busy swinging the beeper. Looked pretty full for the two hours I was there. Met some locals, went with a partner, and talked to some folks I haven't seen in a while. There will be a non GPAA show on the 18th and 19th at the Fresno Fairgrounds, same vendors, but put on by the local Central Valley Prospectors.

Central Valley Prospectors - Miners and Prospectors of Central California

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions