Storms 7/30 Evening Hunt

Stormtrooper154

Bronze Member
Nov 27, 2006
Portland, OR
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
Hit the old "hunted out" park again tonight for a few hours. Took it very slow but no silver for me, again! :'( :'( :'( However, I did find Indian #6 for the year ;D ;D ;D

$1.60 Clad
1901 Indian Head
1940-S Wheatie
1940-P Wheatie
1936-D Wheatie
1920-P Wheatie
1920-D Wheatie

2006_0522Image0002.jpg

Upvote 0

piggman1

Silver Member
Apr 7, 2007
Austin, TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum, Compass X-100, Whites Beach Hunter ID, 2 Whites Spectrum XLT's
GREAT FINDS on the wheats! The silver is hiding there somewhere. Nice pile of coins!

treasureguy

Jul 24, 2007
central wa st
Detector(s) used
garrett ace 250
Good job stormtropper a indian head in a hunted park Wow that is a keeper for sure, it sure does have nice patina, , nice old coins for a park, keep it up

oddcoins

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2006
Eugene Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab eTrac ~ DetectorPro Pocket Uniprobe
NICE INDIAN MAN!!! It's always great to be able to hunt a "hunted out" park and walk away with a 100+ year old coin! WOOHOO!!!!!!

OP
OP
Stormtrooper154

Stormtrooper154

Bronze Member
Nov 27, 2006
Portland, OR
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
oddcoins said:
NICE INDIAN MAN!!! It's always great to be able to hunt a "hunted out" park and walk away with a 100+ year old coin! WOOHOO!!!!!!

Yeah...I hit an area that I never hit before. Most don't because it looks like a new part of the park....Guess not LOL

nealb

Jan 2, 2007
Omaha, NE
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 and Discovery 1100
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Storm - nice looking IH - Congrats. Nice pile of coins to go with your Wheaties.

HH

LEOJ

Jun 20, 2006
Logan County, Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Exp. II
There you go Storm--

You've got to be happy with that IH. As you know, they're not just flying out of the ground around here any more. Good job!

I don't suppose you were using your new stock coil were you?

Joel

R

RUDY2003

Nice pile stormy.
Don't ya just love findin the Indians?

Keep safe...

OP
OP
Stormtrooper154

Stormtrooper154

Bronze Member
Nov 27, 2006
Portland, OR
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
LEOJ said:
I don't suppose you were using your new stock coil were you?

Joel

Joel,

Actually....I was using my "girly coil" that you all wanted to paint pink with a floral pattern on it LOL  ;D ;D ;D

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils
Hey Storm, that's not a shabby few hours at all. Finding an Injun at a hunted out park to me is better than finding a merc or rosie. Almost 400 silvers for me this year, but only 14 IH's. I really love finding them.

I have a similar "well hunted" park I go to occasionally. I've found 40+ silvers there, but in my last couple of hunts, I've only managed teen wheats. I'm wondering if that's it. I keep thinking there's got to be a few stray silvers left, but they're probably being masked by trash. I bought an Exp. II coil just recently; it falses much less than the stock SE coil does at high sensitivities. I've done very well with it in all the places I've found silver before. My sunray stealth X8 is no slouch either for depth and improved target separation. I pulled a few wheats and silvers from soft/damp turf down to 9" (entire X1 probe in the hole) on Sunday.

Keep at it. There's got to be a few left. Maybe even a barber.

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

Charles (Upstate NY)

Jun 5, 2006
USA
Detector(s) used
ML Explorer
Joel, Actually....I was using my "girly coil" that you all wanted to paint pink with a floral pattern on it LOL ;D ;D ;D
[/quote]

Nice finds storm that IH looks in good condition for your area. But....that coil...that's just wrong! LOL By the way if you think you are not getting depth with the stock Explorer II coil on an SE watch for my new post later today.

Charles

OP
OP
Stormtrooper154

Stormtrooper154

Bronze Member
Nov 27, 2006
Portland, OR
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
Charles (Upstate NY) said:
Joel, Actually....I was using my "girly coil" that you all wanted to paint pink with a floral pattern on it LOL  ;D ;D ;D

Nice finds storm that IH looks in good condition for your area. But....that coil...that's just wrong! LOL By the way if you think you are not getting depth with the stock Explorer II coil on an SE watch for my new post later today.

Charles

I will keep my eyes open Charles....Whatcha get, Whatcha get????

I just think the soil is too dry right now for it.  I ran the stock coil for 2 days and was only getting targets in the 5-6" range.  I put the "Girly" coil on and whaaammmm....Back to deeper targets.  We just need a good rain here, then I will put the stock coil back on for a bit.

OP
OP
Stormtrooper154

Stormtrooper154

Bronze Member
Nov 27, 2006
Portland, OR
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
Captn_SE said:
Hey Storm, that's not a shabby few hours at all.  Finding an Injun at a hunted out park to me is better than finding a merc or rosie.  Almost 400 silvers for me this year, but only 14 IH's.  I really love finding them.

I have a similar "well hunted" park I go to occasionally.  I've found 40+ silvers there, but in my last couple of hunts, I've only managed teen wheats.  I'm wondering if that's it.  I keep thinking there's got to be a few stray silvers left, but they're probably being masked by trash.  I bought an Exp. II coil just recently;  it falses much less than the stock SE coil does at high sensitivities.  I've done very well with it in all the places I've found silver before.  My sunray stealth X8 is no slouch either for depth and improved target separation.  I pulled a few wheats and silvers from soft/damp turf down to 9" (entire X1 probe in the hole) on Sunday.

Keep at it.  There's got to be a few left.  Maybe even a barber.

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

Yeah, I wish our area here had finds like that...However, it seems like everyone and there mother has detected every public site in Portland.  Oh well, as my hunting partner says to me all the time....."it is what it is". I will keep looking for that one keeper, the deeper stuffed missed by others. However, to many people do that here also LOL

Charles (Upstate NY)

Jun 5, 2006
USA
Detector(s) used
ML Explorer
I just think the soil is too dry right now for it. I ran the stock coil for 2 days and was only getting targets in the 5-6" range. I put the "Girly" coil on and whaaammmm....Back to deeper targets. We just need a good rain here, then I will put the stock coil back on for a bit.

Storm were you hunting the exact same spot that you previously hunted with the stock coil to confirm that the stock coil could not detect these targets? Depth as it relates to coil geometry is more a factor of coil width not length therefore a 10x14 elipitcal will only have a small advantage in depth over a stock coil, maybe 1/2 inch which is probably lost due to the 40% increase in mineralized soil the machine is now trying to see through. Now the 15 inch WOT being 5 inches wider than the stock coil will get you where no stock coil can reach. I have confirmed this in the field at your Portland parks in side by side tests with a stock coil.

Regarding the soil being too dry, bone dry soil can be your friend. When the soil is wet there are targets hiding in the shadow of rusty nails that are undetectable but when the soil dries out that REALLY shuts up the iron. When its dry I make a B-line for rusty nail infested sites. I have seen nails hide silver quarters, even silver halfs and multiple silver piles. I make some of my better finds when its bone dry, as it was when I found the two coins I'm about to post.

Charles

OP
OP
Stormtrooper154

Stormtrooper154

Bronze Member
Nov 27, 2006
Portland, OR
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
I don't take both coils with me...but next time I find a deeper target, I will have Joel go over it with his machine.  I have picked up a few finds in bone dry soil also, like that 1909 Canadian dime at about 8".  But I just need more time on my machine to learn different signals and such.  I am still Farly new to using the Minelab, but I am sure better finds will come with time.  Right now I am digging the iffy's, but haven't been rewarded.

One thing I notice is repeatable deep signals that seem to vanish once a plug is dug.  I get down there and dig deeper and deeper, using the probe, still digging, probing...and nothing?  I have also been tricked quite a few times on deep iron, but what are you gonna do LOL

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread