Story of a guy who hunted a federal beach.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I think I told this story a few years ago, in the context of some other post. But wanted to put it out again for comment:

Back when the internet was young (late '90s), there were only a few md'ing web-forums to choose from. T'net, of course, was one of them. I watched one particular fellow's posts, where he was posting in the finds forum about staggering amounts of coins, and occasional rings, off a beach here in CA. Naturally, he wasn't saying which particular beach, but based on his clues, I knew the approx. part of CA. Since he was only a few hours from me, I began to watch his posts and finds with interest. Soon we corresponded a bit over emails.

He had just gotten into metal detecting, and was trying to decide where to hunt. He reasoned "the beach" (afterall, isn't that where all md'rs go? haha). So he drove to the closest beach to him, and started detecting. Imagine his surprise when he started getting coins galore, as fast as he could dig them. All clad (as he was only dry sand hunting), but enough he knew that rings shouldn't be too far behind. And sure enough, he started getting jewelry too (as this is a highly trafficked popular beach). So he began to make sport of simply going to this beach, every few days, and spending several hours at a pop. He simply couldn't believe that the locals weren't "all over it", since he knew that there were other hobbyists in his area. But he certainly wasn't complaining! :tongue3:

Eventually, I got him to let his guard down, and reveal to me which beach it was. The beach he named was a particular beach here in CA, that .... rumor had had it ... that it was illegal to hunt. The beach is a federal beach. I had not personally hunted it (since it's a few hours away from me), but was just going by what others from that area had said. And that I knew, and from the fact that it was "federal" (as opposed to state, or county, or city) owned.

Once the fellow revealed which beach it was, I emailed him back and said "I thought it was illegal to hunt there?". To which the fellow emailed back that I must be mistaken. Because you see, he had been there in broad-daylight, for weeks upon weeks, right in front of anyone and everyone, and no one had said anything to him. So he assumed it was me who was mistaken. Afterall, certainly someone would have said something to him, if this were the case. He had gone right around manned lifeguard towers, right past rangers, etc... NO ONE CARED. Thus certainly it must be me who's mistaken. Afterall, as a newbie he no doubt wondered "why would any beach be "illegal" to hunt? I mean, what harm is it doing?" It had never occurred to him that any such things existed.

Anyhow, as another week or so went by, apparently he looked up what I was saying, and perhaps asked around to other local md'rs there, and began to see what I was talking about, based on research my statement had prompted.

He *almost* had the mindset to simply continue, since the obvious reality of the situation was, that it was a non-issue. And it also became apparent to him why his target counts had been so high: All the locals were staying away from there. In fact, perhaps it had been void/vacant of md'rs for SO long, that ..... perhaps current rank-&-file just never give the matter thought anymore either.

I don't know if he did continue, or join the ranks of the others who stay away. Could you blame him if he just continued to go?

Last edited:

Jeremy S

Feb 27, 2012
God's Country
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 250, AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I wouldn't screw around with federal owned property. My dad has a friend who has hunted for many decades. The federal government still owns thousands of acres that borders a major river in this area. A lot of people illegally hunt deer out there and never get caught. My dad's friend had probably been hunting the place for a long time with no problem. From what I understand, he was in his boat going to the river bank of the property when he got caught by a Conservation Officer. After being arrested for trespassing and illegally hunting on federal property, they not only confiscated his boat and gun, but also his vehicle that he pulled the boat with.

After court and lawyer fees, he still did not get any of his confiscated equipment back, but was able to BUY some of it back at auction.

Tom, in regards to the fellow in your story. If I found out that I had been detecting in an area that is federal owned, I would immediately stop. Sounds like he got pretty lucky and found some good stuff, but why press his luck. Eventually the wrong ranger or Officer will be there that day, who likes to enforce rules, and is going to bust him.

This is a hobby where some participants are fueled by greed. You say that others who detect know about this fellow hunting there and all of the stuff he is finding. Chances are if he makes someone jealous or steps on the wrong toes, he's going to get ratted out by a fellow detectorist.

As I've been told by my friends who work in law enforcement.. ignorance is no excuse for breaking the law. Sure, some laws suck like those that ban detecting, but it will suck even more if you get caught breaking those laws.

Just my 2c.

OP
OP
Tom_in_CA

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
...... Sounds like he got pretty lucky ...

At what point would you consider a person to go beyond "luck", and have it become the "norm" ? 10 hunts? 100 hunts? 1000 hunts? At some point, most persons would say no one cares. Like spitting on the sidewalk in NY ? I know, I jest, and someone will say "but no one cares if you spit on the sidewalk in NY ...". But why do people "know" that? Quite simply: because if you spit on the sidewalk in NY, no one cares. Are you just "lucky"? Perhaps. I might rat you out afterall.

bevo

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2010
eastern wa
Detector(s) used
minelab eureka,fisher f2,ace 150,fisher gold tick,whites coin classic II
I had a similar experience on the colorado, amazing amount of goods, something like 30 - 40 bucks in a week, then I found out you
can't md on reservations. A young ranger told me. I wish I would have not found out until after I left AZ. o-well.
p.s.locals told me that was where the college kids would spring break before havesu.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread