Straight Shaft Questions

Captain Loosechange

Nov 24, 2007
Kingsport, TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett SeaHunter Mark II, Tesoro Stingray
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First of all I am thinking of getting a straight shaft for my excal II. I am looking at 2 different shafts, both are Anderson Shafts, 1. the regular Anderson straight shaft 2. The Over/Under straightshaft. You can view them on their site. Are any of you using either of these? Also what would be the advantage of one over the other? I like the over/under because it will be more compact for travel and use and seems the controls would be easier to access. I "reverse" hunt in pin-point mode and often switch modes to check targets. I hunt in the water as much as I can, but due to climate and distance to the ocean I spend a little more time on the wet sand than in the water. I just want to find out if either or both of these are suited to my style of hunting and make sure they won't impede what I am doing now. The original (1.) looks like would put the controls behind my arm and out of reach, but the balance of that configuration may be the strong point of having a straightshaft. Please give me your input as I need to make a decision and get one ordered for a trip to the beach next month. Thanks alotgetting a straight shaft for my excalibur II. I have had it a little over a year and I love it, but I think a straight shaft may be a needed accessory for extended periods of use as the stock shaft gets tiresome. Thanks

Upvote 0

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Best make your own that way you can taylor it to fit your needs, Like many on the forum here that make there own it is good to have a few extra shaft for different beachs, trips, or comfort. If you are a almetal hunter like me using PP/Am then switching when needed to check your target, the closer the Pod is to your hand the faster the recovery. Something I have come up with to speed my hunting is a side mounted pod just behind the wrist. Then the Pod is reversed, as to put the PP switch closer to your handle. With this I just reach over with my hand, letting go of the handle. switching to discriminate the target , then switching back to AM/PP to continue. Sounds like alot but less then 5 seconds I can do the switching, and not have to reach over with my left hand at all.I have video, some where...Anyway here is a pic of my travel setup, made from 2 canes bought for 10 dollars at the thrift store. If you hunt ruff water it is a good idea to get the guard, and teather the headphone cord.............Just a Idea for you.....Joe

Attachments

• ss.jpg
    ss.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 242
  • ssobn.jpg
    ssobn.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 233

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm agree with Pockets, I have 2 Excals, one has the original Florida Straight Shaft, the other is a custom made version of the FSS, I saw the Anderson shaft Pockets has and it is too short for me as well, I am 5'11". The longer shaft gives you a longer sweep, which means less trips up and down the beach as you search.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread