Straight shaft

Silver Fox

Dec 8, 2007
New York City, USA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Land Star
muleskinner said:
Has anybody out there made your own shaft for your detector? My Minelab has an S shaft and is quite heavy to swing for a couple hours.
What I need is tube that has .750 inner diameter, aluminum would be nice. If you've built your own, some pictures would be cool.
I don't know how heavy the Minelab shaft is and the following may not be the solution but in the '80s I was in Las Vegas and left the detector in the trunk of my car overnight. The next day it was about 200 degrees outside and about a 1000 in my trunk! Seriously, it was hot outside and in the trunk. When I picked up the shaft by the plastic elbow rest it disintegrated in my hands and I was left with just the rod sections.

I was going to order an elbow rest from Teknetics but before I did so I visited a thrift store and they were selling a pair of elbow crutches (see photo below) for $5! They were the perfect replacement and I think they are made of aluminum. The slight angle is an improvement over a straight rod and maybe even an S-shaped one. There may be slight variations but they're mostly all the same.

Attachments

• crutches2.jpg
    crutches2.jpg
    5.6 KB · Views: 194

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was given a straight shaft for my Excal and I also tried one from Reilly's Treasure Gold. It was very well made, but I didn't like having the controls mounted under my elbow as the only advantage I saw was a better balance. I still had the weight and I didn't like having to take my arm out of the cuff and insert it again when I wanted to start swinging again.

Instead of putting up with the weight, I made a mount to hang from my neck with the controls on my chest. I don't have a pic on this computer to download but it is easy to make. I used a alum. tube 12" and drilled three sets of holes for where the ears of the control box and battery holder to attach with bolts. I used a camera strap to attach to the top of the tube and it hangs there perfectly with no weight on the shaft. You can use the S shaft or straight shaft without the controls.

OP
OP
muleskinner

muleskinner

Aug 8, 2007
West Michigan
Detector(s) used
minelab, tesoro
Thanks for the replies, looks like I'll keep looking for the perfect solution. Like you said Sandman, it only balances, you still have the weight to deal with. I guess I'll persue the body mount idea.
Spring is almost here
Muleskinner

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread