Strange 1772 Half Real/Cuff Link

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this a few weeks ago and it looked counterfeit to me. But it was just pointed out to me that the assayer and mint mark are upside down. Very interesting indeed. I posted a pic of a legit coin to show the difference
image.jpg
image.jpg

Upvote 4
OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So are they different on different denominations. It's backwards compared to the other Spanish I've found

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Abe - here's one of my one reales from the same mint and with the same assayers. But mine is different than yours. Maybe they changed the dies yearly, or whenever it was needed, and the one used to make yours had the assayers initials flipped by mistake. But I still say that from the look of your coin that it's got a good chance to be a fake.

1772a.jpg

1772b.jpg

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Abe - here's one of my one reales from the same mint and with the same assayers. But mine is different than yours. Maybe they changed the dies yearly, or whenever it was needed, and the one used to make yours had the assayers initials flipped by mistake. But I still say that from the look of your coin that it's got a good chance to be a fake.

View attachment 1106413

View attachment 1106414

Thanks buddy. I was starting to think I was losing my mind. Nobody else seemed to see it. All of my others are the opposite way. And the edges just don't look right to me. Glad you chimed in bud

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No idea on these but first impression's look right, I will watch & learn.

Last edited:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
looks good to me!

The text was just as important to add as the pic.

[h=1]Mexico 1772-Mo FM 1/2 real[/h]
from the Mountain Groan Collection

Shown is an 1772MoFM half real, one of a type struck 1772-84. The dates 1772-73 are distinguished from later issues by possessing inverted mintmark and assayers' initials on the reverse. The bust of Charles III was used until 1789 but later issues were of slightly lower fineness and are catalogued as a separate sub-type. Assayer FM is recorded for the years 1772-78. The half real, as one-sixteenth of a dollar, would have traded in the United States for 6½¢. Harris[SUP][1][/SUP] notes that the Mexico City half real is the only mint that can be called abundant for Charles III, the second mint, Potosi, is less than half as common.
Recorded mintage: unknown.

Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good catch Abe..I see what ur talking about. .. Have no clue about it though?? Lol..

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BTW... your coin does not appear to be silver, or at least a high grade silver, so it's likely cast. The error which you thought it might be with the last three letters seeming to run the opposite way is plenty possible, but it's almost always the result of an incorrectly engraved die... so those two things did not really jive with your coin initially, but now realizing it's a cast copy of a genuine inverted mintmark half real makes total sense. Got it? :)

Cross Potent

Oct 20, 2014
Mid Atlantic / East coast
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

[h=1]Mexico 1772-Mo FM 1/2 real[/h]

Shown is an 1772MoFM half real, one of a type struck 1772-84. The dates 1772-73 are distinguished from later issues by possessing inverted mintmark and assayers' initials on the reverse. The bust of Charles III was used until 1789 but later issues were of slightly lower fineness and are catalogued as a separate sub-type. Assayer FM is recorded for the years 1772-78. The half real, as one-sixteenth of a dollar, would have traded in the United States for 6½¢. Harris[SUP][1][/SUP] notes that the Mexico City half real is the only mint that can be called abundant for Charles III, the second mint, Potosi, is less than half as common.

Ok! lol

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's mine, 2 reale version.

Attachments

• Two Reale - back.jpg
    Two Reale - back.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 58
  • Two Reale - front.jpg
    Two Reale - front.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 57

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Mexico 1772-Mo FM 1/2 real

Wish I getting 6.5 cents for my half reals back in the day. i would be pocketing 4 cents on the dollar!

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
In 1772 and 1773 the 1/2R was minted with the mint mark and assayer's initials (FM) in the 'upside down' position.
Also in both 1772 and 1773 the 1/2R was minted with the mint mark and assayer's initials 'right side up'.
'Right side up', the 1772 dated coin has a FF assayer's initials while the 1773 coin had a FM assayer's initials.
Both were 18 mm and .9027 fine silver.
Don.....

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Doubt that counterfeiters would make a mistake like that. But your coin looks silver plated and copper underneath. Unless it's a picture thing.

That's what I thought too but I know nothing about the coin and was just comparing pictures and other counterfeits. Were they made from different alloys that year?

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey thanks for all of the info guys. Though some of it is a bit confusing lol. It's created some interesting feedback that I have learned from. And yes it does look like copper under the silver

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BTW... your coin does not appear to be silver, or at least a high grade silver, so it's likely cast. The error which you thought it might be with the last three letters seeming to run the opposite way is plenty possible, but it's almost always the result of an incorrectly engraved die... so those two things did not really jive with your coin initially, but now realizing it's a cast copy of a genuine inverted mintmark half real makes total sense. Got it? :)

10-4 brother I got it now.

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

johnnyblaze

Silver Member
Dec 20, 2010
Rhode Island
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 SPECIAL EDITION
Primary Interest:
Other
Could be a counterfeit Abe..I thought that when i saw your last post..If it is,it's a good one.
I think it is a counterfeit..Only salt water will really make silver look like that..Here is one i found.

~Blaze~

Attachments

• finds Nov2012 023.jpg
    finds Nov2012 023.jpg
    800.4 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread