Strange 1994 P Dime and my new $5 Bills! ;)

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Ok....this is strange...the dime!

Yesterday at work, one of my co-workers called me over and wanted to know if I knew what happened to this dime. At first I said it looked like it melted....but the edge and back side are just fine! It's very shining and almost gives like a metallic look (I just could not capture that in the photos below!)

So I thought I would come to all you wonderful coin collectors and see what you can tell me. And the strangest part, on the back of the head (to the right of the coin), it gives the illusion of another face (you can clearly see a nose, eye and mouth! You would have to really see it in person to know what I mean, I just could not capture that as well in the picture!)

Then at the bottom, I posted pics of some $5.00 bills I received. One was given to me in change by a customer, a young boy, then the star note (all within a month), was given to me by a co-worker who received it as change from a customer, only this was an adult who used it. Can't believe I got two types within a month!!! The top $5 is a "Series of 1928 E" and the bottom one is "Series 1963"

I don't cashier or handle money anymore, I have a new position at work, which I love! But I have co-workers that are always looking out for me and I love them!!! Got a 1956 Quarter the other day too, from one of my co-workers! And I love wheaties, so they are always looking out for me in that area! Guess it's time to see the bookkeeper and start buying boxes again!

Thank you in advance for any ideas of this dime! It really is strange looking. I couldn't find another 1994 P dime in my change, so the closet I got was a 1993 P, to give comparison to the look of the 1994 P coin. You can see the 1993 P is clear and you can see the details, but the 1994 P, almost gives you the illusion the your eyesight is shot!

I will be here a couple more hours to see if anyone can give me insight, as it will bug me all weekend as we are heading out for a wonderful weekend of water parks and theme parks! Wishing everyone a wonderful Father's Day...

Thank you so very much....
Annmarie (and Ron of RonandAnn)

Attachments

• strange coin 1a.jpg
    strange coin 1a.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 1,446
  • IMG_3572 1b.jpg
    IMG_3572 1b.jpg
    187.1 KB · Views: 1,937
  • IMG_3583 1b.jpg
    IMG_3583 1b.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 1,388
  • IMG_3583 1c.jpg
    IMG_3583 1c.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 1,436
  • IMG_3630 1b.jpg
    IMG_3630 1b.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 1,275
  • IMG_3630 1c.jpg
    IMG_3630 1c.jpg
    154.3 KB · Views: 1,296
  • IMG_3704 1b.jpg
    IMG_3704 1b.jpg
    222.6 KB · Views: 1,340
  • IMG_3700 1b.jpg
    IMG_3700 1b.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 1,292
Upvote 0

MonkeyBoy

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
V3i
I think this is part of a Brockage Error. When a coin gets stuck in the die, the next coin is fed in and they strike each other versus the dies. This is the coin that was first struck, not the second one that was fed in. So a planchet strikes the already struck coin smashing it and distorting the previously struck image. Usually, when you see a Brockage Error it is the 2nd coin fed in.. with the incuse of the 1st coin on it not the one that was damaged by that 2nd coin. Also, the "normal" side will exhibit a strong strike from the extra pressure caused by the multiple strikes.

MB

OP
OP
LadyDigger

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
MonkeyBoy said:
I think this is part of a Brockage Error. When a coin gets stuck in the die, the next coin is fed in and they strike each other versus the dies. This is the coin that was first struck, not the second one that was fed in. So a planchet strikes the already struck coin smashing it and distorting the previously struck image. Usually, when you see a Brockage Error it is the 2nd coin fed in.. with the incuse of the 1st coin on it not the one that was damaged by that 2nd coin. Also, the "normal" side will exhibit a strong strike from the extra pressure caused by the multiple strikes.

MB

Thank you so very much for your response! So, I guess when I say I see another face, I probably do! I looked up BROCKAGE ERROR to get a better understanding with images. Thank you! I knew I came to the right place, I have learned something new about collecting coins! I guess I will hang onto this baby, maybe someday it will be worth some money! LOL!

And from what I researched, it makes sense to me what you said! I'm trying to learn all I can on coins, err's, etc...and having fun learning!

Thanks MB! :hello2: :notworthy:
Annmarie

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think your second image on the coin is a combination of distoration, reflection, and imagination. There is definitely something up with the coin, but what I see on the back is just a distorted back, not the face struck over top. (or any other scenario that shows a face) The point on the back of his head just happens to be where the nose is, but even that doesn't match and the general outline is the same. Such an error would also be clear in the first pic and not have to be looked at on an angle. The last pic is cool though, a bit of an illusion. That said, I'm much more used to trying to read dirty crusty coppers than sorting out modern errors so I reserve the right to be wrong on all counts. ;D

SoreKneesDayton

Bronze Member
Oct 27, 2007
Dayton, Oh
Detector(s) used
Whites M-6 with Bullseye Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very interesting find and thanks for posting it. That $5 is a STAR note so that means it is worth more..right?

SKD

Tin Nugget

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2007
Mesquite Texas
Detector(s) used
MXT F2
SoreKneesDayton said:
Very interesting find and thanks for posting it. That $5 is a STAR note so that means it is worth more..right?

SKD

I believe the star means it was printed with the serial number of a bill taken out of circulation and destroyed.

Alnitak

Nov 20, 2008
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Nick A said:
The dime definitely looks like a capped die strike. Check out this website for good pics of common error types and an example of a capped die strike. http://www.jimscoins.com/error_coin_examples.php

The five dollar bills are awesome! Congrats!

I would agree with Nick; this is a capped die strike. Pretty cool that it floated around in circulation like that for so long.

Jeff

oddcoins

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2006
Eugene Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab eTrac ~ DetectorPro Pocket Uniprobe

harpp

Jul 20, 2006
san jose ca.
Detector(s) used
WHITES CLASSIC 3/ WHITES M 6
I WONDER IF THIS HAPPENED ON THE SAME DAY... heres my dime, lol

Attachments

• DIME 3.JPG
    DIME 3.JPG
    104.8 KB · Views: 1,953

olekyground

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
Hardyville, KY
Detector(s) used
garrett A.T. gold

Other detectors: fisher F2/ Garrett ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it appears to me that the dime got too liquidy in the process of stamping it. The surface of coins get so hot before the dye is stamped onto the metal that the surface turns into a almost liquid state. Maybe? IDK. cool find though!

OP
OP
LadyDigger

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Thanks EVERYONE! ...for your responses and suggestions! I have put my dime away in a safe place and when I get a chance...going to see about getting it graded.

Wow Harrp.... cool dime! What year is yours? Mine is 1994 P. Have you had it graded?

Olekyground....I thought someone melted the dime, that is what it looks like! But the edge, no damage. Then I thought someone put alot of silver paint on it and/or clear nail polish, but nope! I was straining to read the date...LOL...I could not get my eyes to focus! LOL!

I looked up everyone's suggestion and it could be either one of them! LOL! So, which one do I pick?

Again, thanks everyone. I really appreciate your input!

HH to all,
Annmarie

Indyfan73

Nov 5, 2008
INDIANAPOLIS
Detector(s) used
white's to many to list
that is a very nice mint error coin you can see more it you look yo fred weinberg coin in a google serch he is the for most expert in the world for error coins .

i like yours

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread