Strange - But Stranger Yet?

Dennis1209

Dec 23, 2018
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Etrac & NOX 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Lately I haven't been posting the same ole things everyone else finds. Today I found something interesting worth posting, from a circa 1940's park I hunt when I only want to drive a few minutes. Never seen anyone else metal detecting there, but based on the number of finds, it's close to be hunted out. I've seen a few of these posted before, have no idea what was used to make this little necklace or charm? But it took a lot of patience and fine motor skills to accomplish I'm sure. The strangest thing is like I mentioned above, I've never seen anyone detecting in this small park before. Walking along I seen something on top of the ground reflecting sunlight like nobodies business. I was thinking, aluminum doesn't reflect that bright? The next sweep of the coil would have gone over it, but I bent down to take a closer look. NO, can't be... Bent down further and thought; surely not? Then I grabbed it and looked at it carefully, sure enough! The spot I found this is perfectly flat with no possible erosion. Park maintenance cuts the grass close to the ground about weekly. The picture is just as I picked it up directly on top of the ground, with not even a speck of dirt on it? The only possible thing I can think of is; someone else MDing must have dug it and dropped and lost it very recently? Based on its position, I'm pretty sure the powerful lawnmower they use would have sucked it up like so many coins I find. Been awhile since I've had an interesting find and story to tell; could use many more of them :laughing7:

Odd 1.JPG

Upvote 22

Gene Mean

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2016
Central NJ
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350
Equinox 800
Eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wow! That was a nice find right on top.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very interesting find! :occasion14: Water Jet cutting?

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very Nice Dennis! I wonder if it was hanging around someone's neck on a very thin necklace that broke? There might be a necklace there too.

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arkanslaw
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900 / Garrett PropointerAT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dug one virtually identical to that back when I first started detecting.

As a kid I remember seeing a guy cutting and selling them at a local Arts and Crafts Fair.

Here's how they do it.

Finder Bear

Mar 20, 2019
Newton KS
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Teknetics T2se
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow, that’s a great surface find. I agree there could possibly be a necklace somewhere in the vicinity. Get back out there for a bit!

Ia.FurTrade

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2008
Southeast Iowa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All it takes is a drill & # 60 drill bit & a set of jewelers files! I made & sold numerous sets of these earrings on an aircraft carrier in the South China Sea in 1970..........( Vietnam)

Iowa Dale

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent find!

Everybody has different levels of interest. Me? *ANYTHING* I find on one of my walks is interesting. From the lowest zincoln on up!

Just being able to still do this is the real prize.

Congrats!

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool find:icon_thumleft:

RVRoamer73

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2016
Georgia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 Nox 800
Stealth 720i ,RTG 6"
Lesche GS 36
Predator Raptor
TRX pp
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Learn something new every day. Cool find. Congrats!

OP
OP
Dennis1209

Dennis1209

Dec 23, 2018
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Etrac & NOX 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
WOW, that is a lot of careful and skillful work, easy to mess up. I had no idea how they made them. Mystery #1 solved, thanks for the video. I guess I'll never know how it came to rest there? Like most older city parks, it's in a depressed section of the city. Hard to imagine someone recently wearing this type of bling in a high crime section of the city, but you never know? I did check around the area for a chain with no luck. Possibly fell off before the chain or the chain didn't fall off, or worn by a string? I did see a couple of fresher plugs around the area I didn't remember digging. Reopened a couple of the plugs and retrieved wheat cents. I always recheck my plugs before and after I fill in the plug. I'm thinking someone dug it and missed their pouch or something. Who knows but I'm glad to give it a home in my coin folder.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats! Neat find.

As mentioned needle files and a drill , or water cutting...
Regardless , someone's birthday coin.

OP
OP
Dennis1209

Dennis1209

Dec 23, 2018
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Etrac & NOX 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
All it takes is a drill & # 60 drill bit & a set of jewelers files! I made & sold numerous sets of these earrings on an aircraft carrier in the South China Sea in 1970..........( Vietnam)

Iowa Dale

Never though about earrings? Seems I was just one year behind you. In 1970 I was in Army AIT preparing to be a crew chief and door gunner on a Huey helicopter. When the opportunity arose, we landed at an Airforce base or Navel ship for a meal fit for human consumption.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread