TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It is a variety of agate. Yours was formed when mineral-rich groundwater deposited the minerals inside a volcanic-gas bubble. In you case, two gas bubbles which partially merged while the magma was still molten.

Most (but not nearly all) volcanic gas-bubble agates & geodes we see for sale in the US were imported from Brazil. Waaay back when I was a Rockhound & mineral collector in the early 1970s, I bought several Brazilian ones at the local "Rock & Mineral Shop" in uncut condition (sold by the pound). The shop's owner would cut them in half with his rocksaw for a small fee. Some of the results were gorgeous, and some were ho-hum.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

sharris

Jul 17, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is a variety of agate. Yours was formed when mineral-rich groundwater deposited the minerals inside a volcanic-gas bubble. In you case, two gas bubbles which partially merged while the magma was still molten.

Most (but not nearly all) volcanic gas-bubble agates & geodes we see for sale in the US were imported from Brazil. Waaay back when I was a Rockhound & mineral collector in the early 1970s, I bought several Brazilian ones at the local "Rock & Mineral Shop" in uncut condition (sold by the pound). The shop's owner would cut them in half with his rocksaw for a small fee. Some of the results were gorgeous, and some were ho-hum.

WOW!!! Thank you so much CannonballGuy for ALL the great info!! That is much more in depth than I ever expected! That's why I love this website...so many knowledgeable people who are so willing to help others and share great info! Thanks again!! steve

Upvote 0

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That would make some dandy arrowheads. Slice it like a loaf of bread, heat the slabs to 450°F and chip some real beauties. Gary

Upvote 0

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just a funny shaped flint nodule to me.