Strange Finds

CRHQueen

Jun 20, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I stopped at two banks and purchased $1,200 of halves... went through them with not 1 silver! Then took them to the change counter and my total came to 1,187.55 after taking a few out for my books. I asked the teller if she had a half dollar I could have as part of my change, she said yes and handed me a 1969 then she gave me a nickel - turns out to be a 1942S. So after going through that amount of halves, I couldn't find one meanwhile one was sitting in my dump bank's tray! I asked her if she had anymore and she said not singles just rolls, ended up purchasing 2 rolls and found a 1967. Not bad! Glad to have some silver after going through that many, just wish I could have found some in the rolls. Have 4 more boxes coming tomorrow - I hope for better luck.

What are some strange or unique finds you have all had?

Upvote 0

Nickel Searcher 219

May 25, 2012
Went through a box of nickels.got nothing,went to buy some loose halves from the tray when i came to dump.3 walking libertys. Teller said i could have them for 50 cents a piece and that she doesn't find many 1945 foreign coins.lol

MrSchulz

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2012
DeWitt, Iowa
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Custom Recovery tools, Nupla Prb4t Soil Probe 60 IN,
Primary Interest:
Other
Got a 1964 D Roosie, 1952 Wheat, and a 1948 Jefferson back in change when I bought a box of nickels and pennys about a month ago

Canadian hunter

Dec 19, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Went through a box of nickels.got nothing,went to buy some loose halves from the tray when i came to dump.3 walking libertys. Teller said i could have them for 50 cents a piece and that she doesn't find many 1945 foreign coins.lol
This is hysterical. How can a person conclude that Walking Liberty half is foreign, when it says "United States of America" on it?:laughing7:

Same stuff in Canada, people regard steel half as a "silver dollar", that just kills me, but I try my best to keep up from smiling.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
just the other day at my dump bank, I cash out my coin machine receipt, the teller knows I collect halves and dollar coins so she immediately asks the other tellers for any "funny money"- their term for halves and dollars.

She comes out with about $10 in a mix of ikes, halves, golden dollars, and SBA's. now take this into note: last week she told me how she collected mercs, walkers, franklins, buffalo nickels, wheats, etc.

she counts the coins in front of me and says, "oh, this one is silver"...
being the nice guy I am, I told her she could keep it if she would like, to keep a friendly relationship with the dump bank.
the then tells me, "oh, no, you can have this one, I have a ton of these at home..."

she hands me a 1969d 40% silver half dollar!
HH
Buff

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread