Strange Folding Knife

mcl

Sep 26, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Well I'm sure no one remembers me but my last post here was about my first time metal detecting. I'm the quintessential newbie, roaming around the hills of an old, abandoned coal mining town, armed with a Harbor Freight metal detector and a gardening shovel. My first time was really a great experience, and I've been out several times since then. I'm still learning the ropes though, which has led to some real bloopers out in the field.

For example, on a recent expedition, I got a hit on my way back to the house. I decided to investigate it a bit further, and judging by the signals I was getting, it seemed to be about two feet long the way it sat under the soil. I jammed the shovel into the dirt, took out a scoop, and ran the detector over the pile. Nothing. Undeterred, I took another scoop, a bit muddier this time. Skunked again. I repeated the process over and over, hitting the water table at about 6 inches deep. At about 8 inches in, I started to figure out where the hit was, and by golly, it was something big. I had to dig to about a foot deep to get some leverage underneath the object, when I realized I was uncovering a rusty, iron wheel of some sort. It was attached to some kind of frame too, which explained the length. At this point though, whether or not I was standing on terra firma or inside an aquifer was becoming a bit.. questionable. So, I heaved with all my might against the vacuum pressure of the mud, and obtained my wheel and frame -- let me tell you folks, I was excited beyond belief because I was sure I had found part of an old mining cart. The wet clay and rock slurry made the load rather heavy, but I carried it about a quarter of a mile to home base and started hosing it down. As I started to get it rinsed down and the wheel was becoming visible, a relative came outside and, knowing that I had been digging up buried treasure, announced "hey, I know EXACTLY what that is!" And in the sentence that would ruin my day, snorting and laughing, he revealed, "it's the front end of a kid's tricycle!"

So it was.

Since then, I decided to take a scientific approach to the site. I created a 3D, topographic map that allows me to switch between views of the area in 1905 and 2014. I now know the approximate GPS coordinates of every house, business, and roadway that were in the old camp. Today, I got to put that research to the test for the first time. I had 45 minutes to run out there and find something good. When I got to my target area, I immediately started getting hits all over the place. And I found pieces of pottery, lumps of coal, a gear from the inside of an old clock, a clay marble, and then, the subject of this post: a strange folding knife.

Now sadly, I didn't have time to take my own pictures before I had to shove off to other parts for a bit. So here I sit, and my only pictures came from someone's cell phone text-message. They're not very good, so I'll probably post some better ones tomorrow.

In the meantime though, can anyone tell me anything about this rusty folding knife? What is the deal with the raised part on the back of the handle?

backpic2.png

back.png

Hope all is well with the rest of you hunters. I can't wait to get back out to the site and resume my map-guided search.

Upvote 8

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Awesome post! Mapping is a great idea and learning the history will work to your best interest.
I can only see continued success using these approaches!
Best of Luck and HH!

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Better pics would help, also having a ruler next to it would help. It is likely a knife that had a folding corkscrew on the back side and the hump is where the corkscrew would fold out from. Either that or it is a lock-blade knife and the hump is the blade release pressure point. I am leaning towards the corkscrew since it looks like the bottom of the knife is flared out to protect the end of a corkscrew.

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with gunsil. most likely had a corkscrew

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
MCL,

I would like to congratulate you for having more likes than posts. Your post was well-written, and concise. It sounds to me like your attention to detail is very well refined. Bravo, buddy! Well done!

Enjoy your well-deserved applause...

P.S. I'm thinking if this guy gets himself a decent detector, and a season under his belt, that we'll all be viewing his finds and drooling soon enough. What do you guys think? :thumbsup:

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm thinking if this guy gets himself a decent detector, and a season under his belt, that we'll all be viewing his finds and drooling soon enough. What do you guys think? :thumbsup:

yes, without a doubt.

OP
OP
M

mcl

Sep 26, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Better pics would help, also having a ruler next to it would help. It is likely a knife that had a folding corkscrew on the back side and the hump is where the corkscrew would fold out from. Either that or it is a lock-blade knife and the hump is the blade release pressure point. I am leaning towards the corkscrew since it looks like the bottom of the knife is flared out to protect the end of a corkscrew.

im1r.png

im2r.png

im7r.png

Top down:

im4r.png

Hump from one side:

im3r.png

From the other:

im6r.png

Just for fun, a few perspectives of that gear:

im8r.png

im9r.png

im10r.png

And what I believe is a clay marble:

im12r.png

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The knife is definitely what is known as a "bartender's knife". It had a corkscrew on the back, a main blade, and usually a small curved blade for cutting the lead wrap from wine bottles and the wires on champagne bottles. Yours was an all metal knife, one without added bone or plastic scales. If you google bartender's knife you will see a lot of variations on google images. The maker and exact age will never be known since the maker's mark will not be legible on the blade and it is a pattern made by many companies from the late 1800s to now. I don't know what the gear is from, looks like an old alarm clock part, and it is definitely a glazed clay marble, likely from the early 1900s.

Ironman!

Mar 25, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
MXT/Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find! Maybe this knife I found recently will help with the ID. Not an exact match but gives you an idea anyway.

IM

Attachments

• IMG_0352.JPG
    IMG_0352.JPG
    71.6 KB · Views: 63

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find! Maybe this knife I found recently will help with the ID. Not an exact match but gives you an idea anyway.

IM

Iron, yours is a European folding hunting knife, likely Austrian or Czechoslovakian. Much larger and not really related to bartender's knives. It is likely 1920s-1930s and probably had stag horn scales on it when new. Those Europeans liked to have a glass of wine after the hunt. It has a pretty cool locking blade mechanism, the little folding lever is to unlock the blade from the open position.

Ironman!

Mar 25, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
MXT/Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron, yours is a European folding hunting knife, likely Austrian or Czechoslovakian. Much larger and not really related to bartender's knives. It is likely 1920s-1930s and probably had stag horn scales on it when new. Those Europeans liked to have a glass of wine after the hunt. It has a pretty cool locking blade mechanism, the little folding lever is to unlock the blade from the open position.

Thanks gun for your input! Yeah I knew it wasn't the same knife. I just thought after your description of the corkscrew on the other side it would give the finder an idea of how his might look. Unless a hunter lost this in the the 1920's - 30's everything else I have found in this site has been early 1870's - 1881. I have found a number of items from England. Thanks again for the ID it goes perfectly with everything else coming out of this area.

IM

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron, google "Austrian folding hunting knife", second image shows your knife exactly with the same locking mechanism and a deer hoof handle. Remember there was no Austria before WW1 which is why I gave the dates I did. Yes, it was probably dropped after the early years of your site, and these were sold here in the USA in the time frame I mention. Most found pocket knives I have seen were lost on sites with earlier activity than the knives found, but the knives are usually 20th century products. Yours was probably lost after WW2 since the blade isn't too rusty unkess it was found in a desert area.

Best, Gunsil

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread